• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Because it was made available for free/really cheap and you should have gotten it before. On the same hand, i'm not your servant and I shouldn't have to give you stuff for free even though I have it twice.

Sure, I can easily give it to somebody if I so desire, which I usually do, but why can't we trade things? If you're willing to pay full price, then just buy the game from Steam, why would you buy it from me?

So why not try to recoup half the normal cost then? 15 or 10 for Saints Row 3 would be a good deal for the person trading. You're right: you've no obligation to provide anyone anything. So why do you only try to get 2.50 for a key? Why are you only allowing yourself to make a tiny profit off it?

And why is that different than a person trying to make a full profit off it? The scale of it?

The truth is most people see someone trying to flip a Humble key as a scuzzy move for a number of reasons, one of them being that there is no way to discern if you bought the key for a dollar (unless it's a beat the average key), another being that there is a charitable component to Humble specifically. Why do you have to get remuneration for your unused key? It's a digital product: it doesn't sit there rotting.

wilflare

Hmmm, thanks for the answers guys.

How about I create a new account for the Americas and then gift everything to my euro account? >:) Does anyone know if Mastercards are tied to a billing address? Otherwise I'll just get Steam Cards, sounds like a plan.

that's one way to do it.
not sure if US Steam Cards work on EU accounts, that's my question too

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The truth is most people see someone trying to flip a Humble key as a scuzzy move for a number of reasons, one of them being that there is no way to discern if you bought the key for a dollar (unless it's a beat the average key), another being that there is a charitable component to Humble specifically. Why do you have get remuneration for your unused key? It's a digital product: it doesn't sit there rotting.
I really don't give a shit what those people do. As long as I don't have to see it in this thread. I like this thread trade and begging free.

didamangi

Don't know if this was posted here already...

TotalBiscuit's Why do I own... - Bad Rats ?

Never had the courage to add this game to my library (I have one copy on my inventory that I got on one of the steam promotions) so I can finally see this legendary game!

It may be a bad game but TB + puzzle game does not make a good watch. 5 minutes on that level 2 where there's a hint spell out for all to see, dear me.

Blizzard

Banned
Velvet Assassin any good?
It's mediocre and obviously ultra cheap. I still haven't played it, but the impression I get from reviews is that it has an interesting story and atmosphere, but the gameplay ranges from mediocre to poor.

If the game's concept and setting intrigue you, I think it'd be worth $1.25 to try.

Chairhome

Hmm, SF X Tekken is $12.50 for midweek madness, DLC on sale, too. Just costumes but I kinda want them. I think I'm going to get it.

cicero

So why not try to recoup half the normal cost then? 15 or 10 for Saints Row 3 would be a good deal for the person trading. You're right: you've no obligation to provide anyone anything. So why do you only try to get 2.50 for a key? Why are you only allowing yourself to make a tiny profit off it?

And why is that different than a person trying to make a full profit off it? The scale of it?

The truth is most people see someone trying to flip a Humble key as a scuzzy move for a number of reasons, one of them being that there is no way to discern if you bought the key for a dollar (unless it's a beat the average key), another being that there is a charitable component to Humble specifically. Why do you have to get remuneration for your unused key? It's a digital product: it doesn't sit there rotting.
Who cares? Even if he did buy it for $1 and tries to trade it, who cares? Many people missed bundles that they would like to acquire now, and Humble Bundles are specifically PAY WHAT YOU WANT. If that was deemed to be unprofitable or in some way similar to theft or unethical purchases of their products, they wouldn't have offered, or continue to offer, their products in Pay What You Want bundles. He clearly stated that he isn't someone who paid $1 for 20 bundles, it is his extra keys that he would like to trade for another Indie Bundle or another cheap game. The BS moralizing about this is tedious and ridiculous.

And as for the charity component, I myself haven't put anything into charity since the first or second Humble bundles. I figure if I am going to give something to charity, I want it going to charities that I find worthwhile and that are doing work that I find especially needful. Also, I do it as a specific act and not out of social pressure or on the tail end of a purchase that I would really like to see go to the actual developers. I think acts of charity deserve to be specific and informed.

wazoo

WTF at the 4.5gb update for Sleeping Dogs. I was gonna buy whatever next story DLC they put out anyways but that's still pretty bullshit if they're forcing all the files on people.

At least you can let steam on and it updates, not like consoles. But anyway, good I have no cap on download, because it is hundreds of Gygabytes in the end.

Grief.exe

mount and blade is solo, the other 2 are multi, they do not share the same public.

Mount and Blade has multiplayer.

WotR is just a refined and beautified version of Mount and Blade.

Would be interesting if WotR and Mount and Blade 2 are being developed simultaneously.

Same Publisher, different Developers, but wouldn't be the first time for collaboration on this scale. WotR engine and combat with Mount and Blade single player? Amazing.

iavi

So much for playing SFxT. I can't even get the game to boot past a black screen. I've updated my drivers to the latest Beta, verified the cache and everything. Won't boot past a black screen.

Win8(64)/C2D/8600GT

iavi

Have you played any other GFWL titles on your Win8 Setup? You may have to install a different version of GFWL to get it working. http://steamcommunity.com/app/209120/discussions/0/864949719215315333/#c864950181823835161

I hadn't. I just got it working, though. It was indeed GFWL messing everything up. Had to grab an XBL DLL from shoryuken.

'preciate the help.

edit: The way I went about it gets the game working, but locks me out of Multi/Live. Home button doesn't bring the menu up or anything. If it wasn't for the fact that I bought this game to play with friends, I'd like not having all that in my face lol

The way you found should fix that.

MNC

I just saw a picture of a walking dead steam code on gary whitta's twitter, on some kind of leaflet? All I'm saying is, if there's more of that, I'll gladly take it off you :3

syko de4d

Interesting. Haven't tried VX Ace but VX wasn't as flexible as XP when it came to layers. Made it a bit hard to make good looking maps.

found out there is a lite version on steam for it. You can use it forever but it has limited features.
But lite is only 120mb, so just give it a try :D

Anyone else get a massive 13.2gb update for Left 4 Dead 2 last night? This is the second time in as many weeks I've had a huge update for this game. And according to the patch notes it's for basically nothing.

Pain in the ass, I really hope Valve do what they can to improve the Steam client; as much as I love the store the client is a bit shit, really.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Anyone else get a massive 13.2gb update for Left 4 Dead 2 last night? This is the second time in as many weeks I've had a huge update for this game. And according to the patch notes it's for basically nothing.

Pain in the ass, I really hope Valve do what they can to improve the Steam client; as much as I love the store the client is a bit shit, really.

Are you sure it actually downloaded 13.2g or did it just change the game to the new content format?

It may be a bad game but TB + puzzle game does not make a good watch. 5 minutes on that level 2 where there's a hint spell out for all to see, dear me.
iInSUpEugezR1.gif

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Are you sure it actually downloaded 13.2g or did it just change the game to the new content format?

In my experience, content conversions aren't automatic, and L4D2, being an older Source game, doesn't support the new CDS.

Edit: The update can't have been 13.2GB. Steam tells me the download initiated a few hours ago, but my internet connection is far from that quick. It seems to be a calculation error.

Echoplx

Anyone here brought the pin steam app on win 8? How is it?

I bought it, definitely worth it considering Valve don't seem keen on doing anything w8 related, plus he does regular updates with new features, this just came out today

A new update has just passed certification and will show up in the app store today! New features are:

* Live tile support! See what your friends are playing right on the start screen.
* You can now pin your friends to the Start screen!
* Game tiles now no longer disappear if you reinstall the app ( the friend tiles do though )
* Change the background color of your tiles!
* Increased resolution of all newly pinned tiles

Finally, fixed a few bugs including one that prevented games from being launched from the start menu if Pin Steam was not already running.

The SSA was updated again on the Steam client and it now refers to a Subscription Marketplace There is speculation that it'll be for the ability to trade games already owned and played. The ability to trade may require a small fee per game or a % of the money value goes to Valve/Publisher/Developer.

JaseC

The SSA was updated again on the Steam client and it now refers to a Subscription Marketplace There is speculation that it'll be for the ability to trade games already owned and played. The ability to trade may require a small fee per game.

WTT: Dishonored RHCP for Dishonored RoW.

JaseC

If the SSA update is indeed foreshadowing the ability to trade in games, I wonder how those who recently had Steam Support remove several crappy games from their account will feel?

PM u 2 discuss best offer

Come to think of it, in the absence of offline messaging, a PM feature on Steam would be nice.

Edit: Arkham City [GoTY] is 75% off at GMG.

Comes to $5.62 when using GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6.

Edit: And bought. I regret nothing!

batmanqkpnw.jpg

Jburton

Banned
If the SSA update is indeed foreshadowing the ability to trade in games, I wonder how those who recently had Steam Support remove several crappy games from their account will feel?

Come to think of it, in the absence of offline messaging, a PM feature on Steam would be nice.

Comes to $5.62 when using GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6.

Edit: And bought. I regret nothing!

batmanqkpnw.jpg

Could you tell me if that is some sort of mod to make the Steam UI look like that?

If so where do I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom