• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I have a few questions regarding "gifting" games.
I was thinking of buying a game for a friend in Japan for Christmas.

Would my friend be able to use the code for his Steam account in Japan?
I'm a US resident and he's a Japanese resident. Would the code still unlock on his account?

Secondly, are Japanese versions of games available in the US?
I saw someone playing a Japanese version of Alan Wake (both voice and text), and don't know if this is a special Japanese version or these language options are available in every version.

Thirdly, I'm assuming there is some sort of "gift" option that I have to use, in order to get the game cd-key/code, as opposed to directly purchasing the game, for the purposes of gifting.

I hope my questions are clear; Thank you for answering them!

didamangi

Trying out a new steam skin (Savvy UI) and I'm liking it so far.

68CJ1.png

If the SSA update is indeed foreshadowing the ability to trade in games, I wonder how those who recently had Steam Support remove several crappy games from their account will feel?

Come to think of it, in the absence of offline messaging, a PM feature on Steam would be nice.

Comes to $5.62 when using GMG25-CZPYL-D5MQ6.

Edit: And bought. I regret nothing!

Too bad they don't sell the original Arkham Asylum anymore so you can complete the collection :p

Deques

If the SSA update is indeed foreshadowing the ability to trade in games, I wonder how those who recently had Steam Support remove several crappy games from their account will feel?

Come to think of it, in the absence of offline messaging, a PM feature on Steam would be nice.

batmanqkpnw.jpg

It's another entry in the library? Does that mean more activations?

I'm a US resident and he's a Japanese resident. Would the code still unlock on his account?

I saw someone playing a Japanese version of Alan Wake (both voice and text), and don't know if this is a special Japanese version or these language options are available in every version.

Thirdly, I'm assuming there is some sort of "gift" option that I have to use, in order to get the game cd-key/code, as opposed to directly purchasing the game, for the purposes of gifting.

I'm not sure I get your question. When you gift someone a game through Steam you don't sent them a key they have to enter but the actual game directly through the client.

As for the languages you'll have to look on the store page on the right hand side. Alan Wake has Japanese language support but others might not have.

Deques

You have an option to buy a game as gift and send it to a friend before entering payment details. Select buy as gift.

There are few games that are region restricted, so look for more information of the game you want to buy to your Japanese friend

1-D_FTW

Has anyone actually seen the gift cards at Best Buy? I want to buy one for my son, and haven't been in a Game Stop in 5+ years and not going to go in one now.

If your Best Buy is anything like mine, they'll be on the PC half of the store. And the PC game aisle is the aisle up against the back wall of the store.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's another entry in the library? Does that mean more activations?

They're considered separate products, yes.

There are few games that are region restricted, so look for more information of the game you want to buy to your Japanese friend

He's in the US and I can't say I'm aware of any products on Steam US that are region-locked. Thus far the subs you need to be careful of are those intended for Eastern Europe. Of course, there are other region-locked keys sold outside of Steam (e.g. Amazon's Inversion keys are region-locked to the US, requiring a VPN to activate), but that's irrelevant in this case.

Deques

He's in the US and I can't say I'm aware of any products on Steam US that are region-locked.

Could be region locked in Japan. Who knows? If I recall correctly Dead Island is censored in USA. But that's totally different topic

Valve should hire the people that make Pixelvision and make it the default skin.
Valve should kick their entire frontend developers and hire a new team to make a better interface

JaseC

Could be region locked in Japan. Who knows. If I recall correctly Dead Island is censored in USA. But that's totally different topic

Even if there is a JP-specific sub for the game on Steam, his friend could redeem the gift just fine as long as the sub itself isn't region-locked (XCOM has various region-specific subs but I was gifted the game from Salsa and had no issues redeeming it Edit: A better example would be the AU-specific BO2 Deluxe upgrade, which I purchased for somebody with a US pre-order, who later redeemed it). In any case, if he wants to be overly careful, he can just avoid purchasing a game with a JP-specific sub.

Derrick01

Banned
The SSA was updated again on the Steam client and it now refers to a Subscription Marketplace There is speculation that it'll be for the ability to trade games already owned and played. The ability to trade may require a small fee per game or a % of the money value goes to Valve/Publisher/Developer.

Trade with other people? I'd rather just "trade" it back to Steam and get these 150+ games out of my library. My trade in category is more than twice as long as any of my other categories.

1-D_FTW

I thought they've been calling it a subscription service for years. Just assumed it was for legal protection (since this way we don't technically own anything and can't complain if anything ever happens to lose access).

JaseC

I wonder just how much Gabe despises Windows 8. Would he deny the employment of somebody who worked on a Metro-themed Steam skin? :p

ShaneB

Trying out a new steam skin (Savvy UI) and I'm liking it so far.

I used Savvy for a bit and really liked it. The design changes I really liked, but it felt a little odd that it kept the original layout.

Valve should kick their entire frontend developers and hire a new team to make a better interface

Love the Metro Steam UI. Steam needs to just update there look to be more like BPM.

This is the main issue, people can like different skins, but my god I just wish the Steam client itself would get a massive overhaul. I do think it's coming to make it more in line with BPM, since the two are so drastically different.

I've grown to love Apparition2, love the aesthetics and the transparent nature, plus the rounded edges definitely smooth things out.

JaseC

Meh is an understatement. I can't even find one compelling game on that list let alone 5.

That's the problem I have with GetGamesGo's bundles thus far -- there aren't enough enticing games to justify the purchase. I haven't bought a single one.

didamangi

I used Savvy for a bit and really liked it. The design changes I really liked, but it felt a little odd that it kept the original layout.

Well, the goal is to enhance the steam skin and to make it more uniform with the store. I keep coming back to it after trying pixel, metro and other skins for some reason.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I haven't purchased any kind of bundle in a long ass time. I just don't want anymore indie games except for those hand selected for me by my indie tastemaker.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I've been locked out of my stolen Steam account since early saturday morning. Steam support still hasn't even bothered to respond to my support ticket even once.

I've provided ample evidence to be able to recover my account and at this point the wait is getting silly.

Is there really nothing else I can other than sit on my ass and pray to Garry that one of his support staff will bless me with their time and attention?

I really, really expected better than this. Three years ago my account was stolen around the same time of the year and the situation was remedied quicker than this. They seem to be getting worse on this front. =/

Is this huge wait time normal or am I just, very, very unlucky?

Zia

Has anyone "upgraded" their base Civ V to Game of the Year? I was curious if they just give you the expansions to add to your base game, or upgrade your license to Game of the Year.

I've been locked out of my stolen Steam account since early saturday morning. Steam support still hasn't even bothered to respond to my support ticket even once.

I've provided ample evidence to be able to recover my account and at this point the wait is getting silly.

Is there really nothing else I can other than sit on my ass and pray to Garry that one of his support staff will bless me with their time and attention?

I really, really expected better than this. Three years ago my account was stolen around the same time of the year and the situation was remedied quicker than this. They seem to be getting worse on this front. =/

Valve hasn't really done a good job scaling their support staff size with the size of their userbase. They seem to be running small levels of support staff for a company that serves way, way more people than it ever did before.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

Sadly, it's normal. Your eally should use 2step verification only for this very reason: Valve support has always been slow.

However, I have to ask this. Are you sure you posted the support ticket? When that happened to me, it took me 2 days to realize I had to confirm the support ticket and escalate it to a human operator myself. Otherwise, it would just sit on my support queue and redirect me to some useless links.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Sadly, it's normal. Your eally should use 2step verification only for this very reason: Valve support has always been slow.

However, I have to ask this. Are you sure you posted the support ticket? When that happened to me, it took me 2 days to realize I had to confirm the support ticket and escalate it to a human operator myself. Otherwise, it would just sit on my support queue and redirect me to some useless links.

I used Steam guard, but my email was compromised - only for 10 minutes mind, but enough time for the account to be hijacked. I might have had time to try to stop the thief but I was busy securing my email first.

And yes, the ticket is indeed open and waiting for someone one their end. Have a ticket number and everything that matches up with how the procedure worked in the past.

Funny thing is, I found the scumbag that stole it, or another scumbag he sold it to, trying to sell the account on some shady parts of the internet. Further proof really, that it was stolen.

Have a mountain of evidence on hand, and posted a few solid cases on the ticket, with plenty more to provide if they ask, to prove it's my account.

Just want to play my games. =/

You have an option to buy a game as gift and send it to a friend before entering payment details. Select buy as gift.

Thanks for this.

using WINTR-SRVEY-42012 brings it to $4.87, btw. good until the 14th. edit : code is single use!

Jburton

Banned
I used Steam guard, but my email was compromised - only for 10 minutes mind, but enough time for the account to be hijacked. I might have had time to try to stop the thief but I was busy securing my email first.

And yes, the ticket is indeed open and waiting for someone one their end. Have a ticket number and everything that matches up with how the procedure worked in the past.

Funny thing is, I found the scumbag that stole it, or another scumbag he sold it to, trying to sell the account on some shady parts of the internet. Further proof really, that it was stolen.

Have a mountain of evidence on hand, and posted a few solid cases on the ticket, with plenty more to provide if they ask, to prove it's my account.

That sucks, sons of bitches!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

How did they manage to get both your Steam and email password?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
How did they manage to get both your Steam and email password?

I suspect a key logger found it's way onto my home network and my machine.

Ran a malwarebytes scan after the attack and it detected some keylogging stuff in my steam directory.

I've been using my fiance's brother's USB device, which is where I think it got in. It's the only foreign device on my computer/network in the past few weeks.

Milamber

Ran a malwarebytes scan after the attack and it detected some keylogging stuff in my steam directory.

I've been using my fiance's brother's USB device, which is where I think it got in. It's the only foreign device on my computer/network in the past few weeks.

You just made me start scanning my entire C drive with malwarebytes now.

Xdrive05

Stuff of nightmares for me.... sorry bro.

If you use gmail, you get an authenticator app for your phone, and you can set how and when it requires it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom