• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic. I've been making my way through Arkham Asylum, and I was regretting not picking up Arkham City in the steam sale. Just bought it via GMG with the 35% voucher, it comes to £3.25 for UK residents. Thanks for the tip.

nexen

Valve letting users trade or sell Steam subscriptions would be a major game changer. I can already picture the epic haggling sessions I'd get involved in.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You just made me start scanning my entire C drive with malwarebytes now.

Good, a few scans is nothing compared with loosing your Stem account. Think I might set up my pc to scan each night after I head to bed. I'd rather not have to deal with Steam's CS ever again.

Xdrive05 said:
If you use gmail, you get an authenticator app for your phone, and you can set how and when it requires it.

Yeah, that's how I locked down my email account after I started noticing emails reading and deleting themselves.

Gmail has a ton of security features, unfortunately I was too stupid to use them properly until it was almost too late.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Valve letting users trade or sell Steam subscriptions would be a major game changer. I can already picture the epic haggling sessions I'd get involved in.

I'm gonna desperately try to convince suckers to take all these shitty Telltale games I have for free.

Jburton

Banned
Fantastic. I've been making my way through Arkham Asylum, and I was regretting not picking up Arkham City in the steam sale. Just bought it via GMG with the 35% voucher, it comes to £3.25 for UK residents. Thanks for the tip.

Son of a bitch, I have the money value on steam to buy it but I am maxed out on my cards so I can't buy it from GMG.

Great deal.

Jburton

Banned
Is anyone willing to buy Arkham city from GMG for me and I will buy and gift them a team from Steam of a similar value (of their choosing).

I know it's a big ask, just thought I would try as Arkham City is £20 on Steam.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Who cares? Even if he did buy it for $1 and tries to trade it, who cares? Many people missed bundles that they would like to acquire now, and Humble Bundles are specifically PAY WHAT YOU WANT. If that was deemed to be unprofitable or in some way similar to theft or unethical purchases of their products, they wouldn't have offered, or continue to offer, their products in Pay What You Want bundles. He clearly stated that he isn't someone who paid $1 for 20 bundles, it is his extra keys that he would like to trade for another Indie Bundle or another cheap game. The BS moralizing about this is tedious and ridiculous.

If you're arguing the perspective that all things are permissible if the other person agrees -- that's fine. That's an opinion as valid as my opposing view and I can't argue against that.

However, that's a perspective that doesn't allow for any of the wild west crap that took place during the early years of the Humble Bundle to be called out for what it is. Like the guy who tried trading his DRM-FREE Humble Bundle games. If you believe that, if he can find someone to agree to the deal, it is acceptable, then, again, that's a valid, if decidedly Randian, perspective.

I just don't think it's fair to gouge people, especially in the example of a completely free key, like Metro or Dirt 3. In many of those promotions, there are only a limited number of keys allotted. So you taking a key to resell later down the line could potentially be depriving someone who actually wanted to play the game. Again, if you disagree and think the free market will decide, that's an opinion I can't argue against. However, I don't want to be a part of a community that supports that kind of behavior and I'll continue to argue against it when it props up.

And as for the charity component, I myself haven't put anything into charity since the first or second Humble bundles. I figure if I am going to give something to charity, I want it going to charities that I find worthwhile and that are doing work that I find especially needful. Also, I do it as a specific act and not out of social pressure or on the tail end of a purchase that I would really like to see go to the actual developers. I think acts of charity deserve to be specific and informed.

Talk about tedious and ridiculous moralizing.

...will be heading into the winter sale with only $35.01 in the fake wallet.

Am I already dead?

I topped up my wallet to the tune £100. Traded in a load of PS3/Vita/3DS games that were gathering dust on my shelf. Bought two £50 steam vouchers and prepared my body for the sales. I wonder how fast I'll burn through it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm not entirely sure how much money I'll have to spend this sale as Christmas has become unexpectedly expensive (just as well I controlled myself throughout the Autumn Sale). As long as I get the DDEs for AssCreed 3 and Far Cry 3, I'll be happy. With that in mind, I'm hoping Tony works his magic to obtain Steam keys for the latter (retail subs were recently added to the registry) and convinces Ubi to allow a 50% discount for both -- that'd put Far Cry 3 at $30 and AssCreed 3 at $40.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm not entirely sure how much money I'll have to spend this sale as Christmas has become unexpectedly expensive (just as well I controlled myself throughout the Autumn Sale). As long as I get the DDEs for AssCreed 3 and Far Cry 3, I'll be happy. With that in mind, I'm hoping Tony works his magic to obtain Steam keys for the latter (retail subs were recently added to the registry) and convinces Ubi to allow a 50% discount for both -- that'd put Far Cry 3 at $30 and AssCreed 3 at $40.

This made me laugh out loud. A cruel laugh followed by a feeling of pity.

If you're arguing the perspective that all things are permissible if the other person agrees -- that's fine. That's an opinion as valid as my opposing view and I can't argue against that.

However, that's a perspective that doesn't allow for any of the wild west crap that took place during the early years of the Humble Bundle to be called out for what it is. Like the guy who tried trading his DRM-FREE Humble Bundle games. If you believe that, if he can find someone to agree to the deal, it is acceptable, then, again, that's a valid, if decidedly Randian, perspective.

I just don't think it's fair to gouge people, especially in the example of a completely free key, like Metro or Dirt 3. In many of those promotions, there are only a limited number of keys allotted. So you taking a key to resell later down the line could potentially be depriving someone who actually wanted to play the game. Again, if you disagree and think the free market will decide, that's an opinion I can't argue against. However, I don't want to be a part of a community that supports that kind of behavior and I'll continue to argue against it when it props up.

Talk about tedious and ridiculous moralizing.

It's a pretty low ball move, but if someone is willing to trade, then I suppose it's all fair game. Just because these games were at one time or another given away free doesn't really enter into the equation anymore, since that's no longer the case; you can only make judgements based off their current price and, if you're smart, any potential discount in upcoming sales. But, I'm with you, it's a crappy thing to do, and I wouldn't personally do it myself just get some virtually free games, nor would I want to trade with someone who exploits people's ignorance just to fill their boots.

JaseC

...You are actually chosing the 80$ version, it wasn't some awful Australian pricing scheme???

jasec plz

DDEs are one of my weak spots. :( Even though I said I wouldn't, I'll probably pre-order the $100 Company of Heroes 2 DDE at some point.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Giving my first real attempt at COD since MW4 with BO2. I'm going to say this. The game is liquid dogshit. I don't even see how this can be argued against. The online atrocious and without a doubt the worse I've experienced since the first Gears. But at least that game had some sort of quantifiable hit box. This game on the other hand. It never adds up. You see people shooting at a brick wall. And it shows its hitting you. There seems to be a second delay between you're movements and what the game can sensor. I don't even need to get into balancing issues, spawns, map layout. This alone makes the online unbearable.

morningbus

DDEs are one of my weak spots. :( Even though I said I wouldn't, I'll probably pre-order the $100 Company of Heroes 2 DDE at some point.

That's basically charity. Or at very least buying a THQ DDE is like buying a box of thin mints from the Girl Scouts.

xJavonta

Banned
Giving my first real attempt at COD since MW4 with BO2. I'm going to say this. The game is liquid dogshit. I don't even see how this can be argued against. The online atrocious and without a doubt the worse I've experienced since the first Gears. But at least that game had some sort of quantifiable hit box. This game on the other hand. It never adds up. You see people shooting at a brick wall. And it shows its hitting you. There seems to be a second delay between you're movements and what the game can sensor. I don't even need to get into balancing issues, spawns, map layout. This alone makes the online unbearable.
I haven't played the PC version yet but it sounds like a problem on your part. Maybe high ping or something.

nexen

how is the SP? I found Black Ops 1 surprisingly enjoyable in a mostly-brain-dead action movie sort of way.

morningbus

I'm not going to pretend I've had a perfect experience with the game's netcode, but what you're describing is not a normal experience. I play the game for an hour or so almost every night and have never experienced what you're describing.

I also don't have issues with balance or spawns. The maps are also for the most part hits (a better ratio of hits-to-misses than Black Ops 1, even) and I find it kind of funny that people (especially in the Blops 2 thread) usually start out hating the maps and learn to love them. I've seen more reversal of opinions on the Turbine map than I can count on my hands.

Give it another chance and a little more time, I say. It's not for everyone, but it isn't anything like you've described either.

JaseC

how is the SP? I found Black Ops 1 surprisingly enjoyable in a mostly-brain-dead action movie sort of way.

You'll likely find something to enjoy in the SP campaign, then, as aside from the secondary RTSeqsue missions, it's your standard shooting gallery with a few choose-your-own-adventure decisions to make. I can't say I side with those who label it the best SP campaign since 4, but then I've never thought highly of current-gen CoD.

HoosTrax

I appreciate that very much.

My Steam id is Jburton.

Just let me know what game you would like in return.
Haha, I did a double take when I read this, thought you were trolling him.

("BurtonJ" is the Steam handle for a Valve employee that works on the Steam service)

cicero

I used Steam guard, but my email was compromised - only for 10 minutes mind, but enough time for the account to be hijacked. I might have had time to try to stop the thief but I was busy securing my email first.

And yes, the ticket is indeed open and waiting for someone one their end. Have a ticket number and everything that matches up with how the procedure worked in the past.

Funny thing is, I found the scumbag that stole it, or another scumbag he sold it to, trying to sell the account on some shady parts of the internet. Further proof really, that it was stolen.

Have a mountain of evidence on hand, and posted a few solid cases on the ticket, with plenty more to provide if they ask, to prove it's my account.

Just want to play my games. =/

Were you using the same password for your email that you used elsewhere or something along those lines?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw your followup post.

Grief.exe

It is possible we will see a AC3 and FC3 on sale during the January promotion at Amazon where we can use our $5 coupons.

I have a feeling we won't see much of a discount, if any, on these newer games during the winter sales.

I hope we see that FC3 steam key show up soon.

JaseC

It is possible we will see a AC3 and FC3 on sale during the January promotion at Amazon where we can use our $5 coupons.

I'd forgotten about the promotional credit.

I have a feeling we won't see much of a discount, if any, on these newer games during the winter sales.

Using AC:Revs as a reference point, 25% as far as Steam is concerned.

Caerith

Are there still problems with save files being deleted in Arkham City?
They weren't being deleted, per se. Just no longer being recognized due to a GFWL sync error. It got patched months ago and my save got restored, so unless there's another issue I think you're safe to play.

morningbus

They weren't being deleted, per se. Just no longer being recognized due to a GFWL sync error. It got patched months ago and my save got restored, so unless there's another issue I think you're safe to play.

There was a save deletion issue at one point, too. I know firsthand and I'm still incredibly bitter despite having loved the game.

Edit: Found my post from last year with steps to take if you're concerned:

Just going to repost this form the PC version thread, as a warning:

So I finally got home to try what I was thinking, and here is what I can confirm because of it:

1) Steam versions of the game save only to this directory: Steam > userdata > ##UNIQUE USER NUMBER## > 57400 > remote and are formatted like this username-save#.sgd (with the # being the slot of your save, the first slot is "0" and the 4th sloth is "3").

2) Presumably, other versions of the game save to this folder: Documents > WB Games > Batman Arkham City > SaveData. If you have the Steam version, this folder will still be created, but it will be empty.

If you are hit with the "we deleted your save because fuck you" bug, take these immediate actions:

1) Do not click through to the save to see if it is actually deleted. If nothing is there, it is gone.

2) Alt-tab out immediately and navigate to the directory where you save file should be. Copy it out if it is there. If it is already gone, then, I don't know. They've wined and dined you and now you're screwed.

3) Close the game down and start it back up, if it still is showing no save, close it down again, and copy your save file back into the directory.

4) Load up the game again and hopefully you should have your save file again.

This should work, but I was only able to confirm it using newly created save data. (I played to the point where I made some progress, just after you
become Batman
and tested my theory with swapping save files)

What you should do right now, even if you are a big-shot who lives by his own rules and on a razor's edge: go to your save directory and make a personal backup of the save right now. Don't let what happened to me happen to you, where I lost 24 hours of progress because it randomly deleted my save then synced that to Steam cloud. There is no way for me to recover my save data now.

It might be worthwhile to create a dropbox folder or google drive folder than syncs that specific file, to be extremely safe.

Ifrit

Had to double dip on Arkham City, since I already had the base game, plus at that price it was probably cheaper than buying the dlc individually (can't do that anyway since B:AC store page is now locked for my region for some reason, thankfully I could activate it without problem)

Weird thing is, it appears as two entries on my steam library (AC and AC:GOTY)

I regret getting the base game near launch :( I'll wait next time

http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/Monaco/ hype, disappointed it doesn't give beta access. XBLA ruining that Minecraft like hype train.
I remember thinking Monaco looked really cool when I saw it on an episode of the 1up Show.

It's really been in development that long.
Oh there was a 1UP section on it? Neat I don't think I remember that one. Will check it out.
They should have done a better 4 pack price, at least. Its a game that's heavily focused on multiplayer.
I dunno $45 seems pretty reasonable. It's only $12.50 11.25 per person.

Wonder if we'll be able to set up a Hamachi to play it through LAN?

1-D_FTW

I played it during the free weekend, and $1 is about the most I'd pay for it. I think that's what it costs on iOS too, and I believe it's pretty much the same game.

I played it during the free weekend and while it's not Brink levels of bad, it still convinced me to avoid even at 1 dollar. Honestly wouldn't take a code for free.

Two Metro keys for lurkers:

iYSwCjP8rjnxB.PNG
First taken, grabbed the second for myself. Thank you my lord.

In return here's a Cogs Q6BE2-46RRR-RNB7E and a Eufloria RKHEI-KWTEX-8DQYX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom