• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

If you're arguing the perspective that all things are permissible if the other person agrees -- that's fine. That's an opinion as valid as my opposing view and I can't argue against that.

However, that's a perspective that doesn't allow for any of the wild west crap that took place during the early years of the Humble Bundle to be called out for what it is. Like the guy who tried trading his DRM-FREE Humble Bundle games. If you believe that, if he can find someone to agree to the deal, it is acceptable, then, again, that's a valid, if decidedly Randian, perspective.
This is the only thing that I have ever found regarding this NEW situation that you decided to put forward now.

http://www.humblebundle.com/terms
Once you make a purchase, you should receive a unique download page. You shall not, directly or indirectly, disclose the unique URL for your download page to anyone else or use anyone else's download page. You are solely and entirely responsible for all activities that occur on your download page. Humble Bundle shall not be responsible for any losses arising out of the unauthorized use of your download page.

But we weren't even discussing this level of trading/sell though, and I had defined my comment with this: "He clearly stated that he isn't someone who paid $1 for 20 bundles, it is his extra keys that he would like to trade for another Indie Bundle or another cheap game." so I find it strange that these new examples are seemingly now given in reference to drizzle or the comments made previously, either as a slippery slope type argument, or a direct comparison/analogy.

I just don't think it's fair to gouge people, especially in the example of a completely free key, like Metro or Dirt 3. In many of those promotions, there are only a limited number of keys allotted. So you taking a key to resell later down the line could potentially be depriving someone who actually wanted to play the game. Again, if you disagree and think the free market will decide, that's an opinion I can't argue against. However, I don't want to be a part of a community that supports that kind of behavior and I'll continue to argue against it when it props up.
I agree, it isn't fair to gouge people. But now you bring up free keys, which wasn't even the original issue at hand. You do realize there are distinct and specific differences between trading an extra Humble Key for another cheap Indie Bundle, and trading/selling free promotional keys or the DRM-Free Humble games, right? Because you keep piling these new examples on as if they were comparable, analogous, or equal to what drizzle was suggesting, which they most certainly aren't. There is nothing illegal, unethical or immoral about someone trading an extra Humble key that they have for something else at a cheap valuation. But from your comments here, and your defense of them, it seems clear that you are suggesting that there is.

Talk about tedious and ridiculous moralizing.
Really? Because it was made specifically in response to your inclusion of the charity component of the Humble Bundle as being a reason why anyone trading like drizzle proposed would suddenly become a "scuzzy move". I gave my own personal example as a legitimate case where the charity component would not even be applicable, and I knowingly chose to explain my reasons because someone moralizing in a tedious and ridiculous manner about the innocent trading of an extra Humble Bundle key for another cheap Indie key, would most likely respond with indignant outrage at the possibility that someone would dare not to support charities with their game purchases.

drizzle didn't propose selling or trading a free promotional key, or a key he purchased for a few cents, he proposed trading an extra Humble key for another cheap Indie Bundle. Humble Bundle Inc. isn't a damsel in distress, and drizzle isn't the dragon. But to appease you and send you back on your glorious quest, I knuckle my forehead at you.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/Monaco/ hype, disappointed it doesn't give beta access. XBLA ruining that Minecraft like hype train.

Oh there was a 1UP section on it? Neat I don't think I remember that one. Will check it out.

I dunno $45 seems pretty reasonable. It's only $12.50 per person.

Wonder if we'll be able to set up a Hamachi to play it through LAN?

I think it may have been during this episode: http://www.1up.com/news/1up-show_34. The Gamevideos player is garbage, so I can't verify it at the moment.

As for the 4 pack price, I think they should have gone for $40 instead. I know it is a small amount, but that would put it hard into the "buy soon" category for me.

I hate to pull the first world problems card but we live in an era of a global financial crisis there's bigger problems out there than some people trading video games. Like the housing market and pensions or things like the cost of heating.
I think it may have been during this episode: http://www.1up.com/news/1up-show_34. The Gamevideos player is garbage, so I can't verify it at the moment.

As for the 4 pack price, I think they should have gone for $40 instead. I know it is a small amount, but that would put it hard into the "buy soon" category for me.
Thank you! I was just searching for it but coming up blank. Nostalgia for that theme song :(

Why not include beta access? That's why I bought Don't Starve, and why I'll pass on Monaco for now.
Majesco would be mad that people can buy PC version and play it before the 360 version is even dated. edit. I don't really get why xbox don't allow people to pre-order on 360 and get a PC beta early.. suppose that's too 2012 for them.

morningbus

This is the only thing that I have ever found regarding this NEW situation that you decided to put forward now.

http://www.humblebundle.com/terms

But we weren't even discussing this level of trading/sell though, and I had defined my comment with this: "He clearly stated that he isn't someone who paid $1 for 20 bundles, it is his extra keys that he would like to trade for another Indie Bundle or another cheap game." so I find it strange that these new examples are seemingly now given in reference to drizzle or the comments made previously, either as a slippery slope type argument, or a direct comparison/analogy.

I'm just giving another example that is clearly worse, but on the same scale for me. I don't see a significant difference between attempting to trade the DRM free games and attempting to trade a Humble Bundle key for profit. I never suggested that drizzle bought a bunch of bundles for a dollar, just that for the person who he is trading with, it is impossible to know (unless he shows them the receipt, or something).

If we assume good-faith on the part of the trader, then there is no difference between trading the DRM-free copies and trading a Humble Bundle key.

I agree, it isn't fair to gouge people. But now you bring up free keys, which wasn't even the original issue at hand. You do realize there are distinct and specific differences between trading an extra Humble Key for another cheap Indie Bundle, and trading/selling free promotional keys or the DRM-Free Humble games, right? Because you keep piling these new examples on as if they were comparable, analogous, or equal to what drizzle was suggesting, which they most certainly aren't. There is nothing illegal, unethical or immoral about someone trading an extra Humble key that they have for something else at a cheap valuation. But from your comments here, and your defense of them, it seems clear that you are suggesting that there is.

"I keep piling up new examples?" This is the first new example I've brought up. I've also never suggested there was anything illegal about it. Some of the wealthiest business people in the world made their fortunes doing things that are perfectly legal, but otherwise scuzzy.

I don't have a problem with giving away Humble Bundle keys (even if it probably costs the Humble people a few sales as a lot of people just wait for someone to pass along the key in the thread). What I do have a problem with is selling them for profit and pretending that "because I'm only making a little profit and not selling it for the full retail cost, I'm not nearly as bad as other flippers."

Really? Because it was made specifically in response to your inclusion of the charity component of the Humble Bundle as being a reason why anyone trading like drizzle proposed would suddenly become a "scuzzy move". I gave my own personal example as a legitimate case where the charity component would not even be applicable, and I knowingly chose to explain my reasons because someone moralizing in a tedious and ridiculous manner about the innocent trading of an extra Humble Bundle key for another cheap Indie key, would most likely respond with indignant outrage at the possibility that someone would dare not to support charities with their game purchases.

I took issue with your insinuation that the charities involved with the Humble Bundle aren't "worthwhile" and that giving to them isn't an "informed" decision. If you just meant for yourself personally, and weren't speaking about the charities and those who give to them broadly, I apologize. I disagree, but that's your decision to make.

drizzle didn't propose selling or trading a free promotional key, or a key he purchased for a few cents, he proposed trading an extra Humble key for another cheap Indie Bundle. Humble Bundle Inc. isn't a damsel in distress, and drizzle isn't the dragon. But to appease you and send you back on your glorious quest, I knuckle my forehead at you.

drizzle did actually propose trading/selling a free key, not me:

Again, down the road, when the keys are no longer available for free, why can't I trade my extra one for some cheap indie game? Again, i'm not going to ask for a 15 buck game for it, but I already bought the THQ Bundle, I already have Metro 2033, but I got another key on Facebook. Why can't I trade that away for some 75% off indie game down in the winter sale?

But again, I understand if you don't take issue with this because all deals are permissible between consenting parties so long as it doesn't violate a law.

nexen

You'll likely find something to enjoy in the SP campaign, then, as aside from the secondary RTSeqsue missions, it's your standard shooting gallery with a few choose-your-own-adventure decisions to make. I can't say I side with those who label it the best SP campaign since 4, but then I've never thought highly of current-gen CoD.

Thanks. I liked COD4 and Blops well enough that they were worth their purchase price. CoD:MW2 and CoD:MW3 turned me off pretty quickly.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
While I will agree that morningbus just states that he thinks it's wrong and people should die in a fire for trading Humble Bundle or free keys, even though he doesn't explain properly why, I did mention having a extra Metro 2033 key - which I do.

I bought the THQ Bundle (which gave me Metro 2033) and I got one key from the Facebook promotion (which I'm allowed to, by the promotion rules). I could give it away on the "Free to a good home" thread now, but why would I? They're free, go get one yourself.

Now, if 4 months from now, somebody wants a Metro 2033 key because the Metro Sequel came up and they're willing to trade another extra game they have laying around that I want from a Indie Bundle, I'll be more than willing to trade it up. I've straight up refused trades because the guy was either offering me a too valuable game or not offering me a game I want. I also gave away games because the dude genuinely wanted the game and had nothing he could trade with me.

Either way, this is a stupid discussion: We heave separate threads for trading, giving away and selling stuff on GAF for a reason.

Giving away the DRM-Free versions of the Humble Bundle games is piracy no matter how you put it though.

morningbus

While I will agree that morningbus just states that he thinks it's wrong and people should die in a fire for trading Humble Bundle or free keys, even though he doesn't explain properly why, I did mention having a extra Metro 2033 key - which I do.

I know we disagree here but this level of hyperbole is a little uncalled for.

Either way, this is a stupid discussion: We heave separate threads for trading, giving away and selling stuff on GAF for a reason.

I don't disagree there. My comment that started all this was half joking anyway, not a serious proposal to move trading back into this thread.

Giving away the DRM-Free versions of the Humble Bundle games is piracy no matter how you put it though.

I disagree. If I assume good faith on your part that you haven't downloaded and installed the DRM free games, how is it substantively different?

Can we argue about this shit in another thread?

Sorry to interrupt the usual "is this EA game steamworks" posts.

Can we argue about this shit in another thread?

+1. tl:dr for a while.

on another note...really wish i could remotely add keys to my steam account. Been sitting on a few from the THQ bundle and keep forgetting to add them at home. Would love to see then add the ability to add the game through the mobile app or website

Isaccard

+1. tl:dr for a while.

on another note...really wish i could remotely add keys to my steam account. Been sitting on a few from the THQ bundle and keep forgetting to add them at home. Would love to see then add the ability to add the game through the mobile app or website

Adding keys to your inventory would be great too.

morningbus

I hate to pull the first world problems card but we live in an era of a global financial crisis there's bigger problems out there than some people trading video games. Like the housing market and pensions or things like the cost of heating.

Thank you! I was just searching for it but coming up blank. Nostalgia for that theme song :(

I may have been mistaken actually: it was possibly in an episode of Co-Op and not the 1up show (though I could have sworn it was). I still can't double check this though because I'm on my phone right now: http://revision3.com/coop/special

cicero

I'm just giving another example that is clearly worse, but on the same scale for me. I don't see a significant difference between attempting to trade the DRM free games and attempting to trade a Humble Bundle key for profit. I never suggested that drizzle bought a bunch of bundles for a dollar, just that for the person who he is trading with, it is impossible to know (unless he shows them the receipt, or something).

If we assume good-faith on the part of the trader, then there is no difference between trading the DRM-free copies and trading a Humble Bundle key.
You don't see any difference?? Well...your further comments about this topic will need to be taken with that huge grain of salt by anyone else here then. At the least, your desire of "we could shame the people trying to flip Humble Bundle keys" is one where I think that you would be quite lonely voicing once people understood your actual position.

"I keep piling up new examples?" This is the first new example I've brought up. I've also never suggested there was anything illegal about it. Some of the wealthiest business people in the world made their fortunes doing things that are perfectly legal, but otherwise scuzzy.
ah, I was under the impression that you had brought up two new examples, free promotional keys and selling DRM-Free copies. Apparently drizzle initially talked about the facebook Metro promotional keys, which I missed. But I don't have a problem with that either, seeing as how it was legitimately acquired, and how the other party being traded with finds value in the trade.

I don't have a problem with giving away Humble Bundle keys (even if it probably costs the Humble people a few sales as a lot of people just wait for someone to pass along the key in the thread). What I do have a problem with is selling them for profit and pretending that "because I'm only making a little profit and not selling it for the full retail cost, I'm not nearly as bad as other flippers."
Except that buying a Humble Bundle for $.01 and trying to sell it for several dollars isn't even remotely comparable to having an extra key for Humble Bundle for Android 3, which had a minimum price of $1, and trading it for another Indie bundle or game that cost $2.50. If Humble Bundle Inc. or the individual developers actually had a problem with people buying multiple bundles for the minimum, or selling/trading keys, then they would have done something about it to restrict such actions. Instead, we get white knights, like yourself, who moralize about this issue and define ANY trading where a profit is made to be wrong, a "scuzzy move". And really, ALL trading is suspect because there is no verification process to determine how much was paid, so that no profit can be made.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I took issue with your insinuation that the charities involved with the Humble Bundle aren't "worthwhile" and that giving to them isn't an "informed" decision. If you just meant for yourself personally, and weren't speaking about the charities and those who give to them broadly, I apologize. I disagree, but that's your decision to make.
My charity comment dealt dealt specifically with my own determination about the worthiness of the Humble Bundle charities, which are restricted to only two, Child's Play and American Red Cross. The "informed" comment had to do with people choosing to donate specifically, instead of just from two charities alone while purchasing games. Personally, I don't find either charity to be as worthwhile as supporting the developers. To quote myself from the THQ Humble Bundle thread:

I have voiced my issues with this in at least one previous Humble Bundle thread, but I really wish they would offer more Charity options than just American Red Cross and Child's Play. I am not going to give the American Red Cross another dime due to their many ongoing issues and problems, as well as their bad history, and Child's Play is a very nice concept, but not really what I want my money to go to if I am going to give with Charity in mind. Personally I would prefer to give to charities focused on boots on the ground type of emergency projects, food, or medical care in third world countries, like Doctors Without Borders USA.

drizzle did actually propose trading/selling a free key, not me:

But again, I understand if you don't take issue with this because all deals are permissible between consenting parties so long as it doesn't violate a law.
I don't take issue with what drizzle proposed because what he is proposing isn't unreasonable. I do have moral/ethical qualms about people buying Bundles for $.01 and flipping them, more so since Humble Bundle Inc. changed their Bundles to having a minimum $1 purchase price. I do not for legitimately acquired promotional keys. At some point the promotions will end and those still wanting the game at a reduced price will find value in a trade. Apparently that is unethical/immoral in your mind, which I find strange, maybe in the end your position all boils down to a very strong distaste on your part for the end consumer making any kind of perceived profit off of a deal?

EDIT: Went to mail something and didn't realize I hadn't posted this yet, should have checked before posting after I got back. My bad. I can delete it if necessary.

Precursor to the Subscription Marketplace?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TF2/announcements/detail/1749911340423921973

As part of our ongoing efforts to gradually phase out all Earth money in favor of Team Fortress hats, we're kicking off the TF2-only beta of our new Steam Community Market! The Market should improve trading in every way: People looking for specific items will be able to locate them faster, folks looking to sell items will find the process a lot more efficient, and best of all, we've made it easier for everybody to translate playing TF2 into buying games on Steam.

While the Market is in beta, we're limiting trading, buying and selling to one-time consumable items while we're ironing out the kinks. Also, items you buy will be subject to transaction fees; read more about it in the FAQ.

If you'd like to learn more about the Community Market—or even more importantly, give us the feedback we need to make it better—be sure to visit the Steam Community Market group.

MRORANGE

The only reason why I bought the SFxT costume packs:

ss_5080616aafa8984307ce750b254b6a2b71e85a39.600x338.jpg

Chun-Li is also quite hot as a panda.

HoosTrax

Technically, you could have always used TF2Outpost to do trades of hattes for other things like Steam inventory games. Although I suppose a decent number of people will feel more comfortable and safe using the built-in trade system for it. Especially if they were trading hattes for Paypal money -- I'm guessing that this will give the option of using Steam wallet for internal trades.

I nearly bit on A New Beginning - Final Cut, but after watching a couple of youtube videos, I think I had a lucky escape, the dialogue and acting is some of the most stilted and unnatural I've ever witnessed in a video game, certainly a game with such beautiful artwork and attention to detail. Is the adventure game community that undemanding (and desperate for games) that they'll overlook such glaring immersion breaking problems just because it's another point and click game? The review on adventuregamers.com dismissed the voice acting as merely mediocre and praised the English translation, a little generous considering that the unnatural writing and the way that the characters interact with one another in such a dry, robotic way completely ruins the game.

Do you mean people buying and selling games from their libraries and publishers/Valve getting a cut? That would be... quite something.

I guess the major issue this addresses is scamming when paying for items over PayPal.

I'm assuming if/when they open this up to games, it will only work for games in your inventory. I don't believe they'll ever let you resell subscriptions you bought for yourself. That would devalue everything to an extreme degree and they can't want that.
There's something weirdly engaging about constantly refreshing this page and watching the crate count go up
http://steamcommunity.com/market/search?q=
It also slowly goes down sometimes. People are already buying and selling a lot of stuff. If you go into this now and have some idea about the current market, you could probably make mad cash.

HoosTrax

This is so bizarre. But I have no doubts that the ever creative Russian portion of the Steam userbase will find new and inventive ways to money launder through this.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't mind if they launch hatBay -- I have a few unboxed Unusual hats I'd like to auction off.

Edit2: Only TF2??? I have a Pudge Hook in DOTA2 to sell D:

Wok

If Humble Bundle Inc. or the individual developers actually had a problem with people buying multiple bundles for the minimum, or selling/trading keys, then they would have done something about it to restrict such actions.

I doubt so since the original idea with the HIB was to make no restriction, hence the $0.01 minimum and the DRM-free downloads. It was a risky stance which proved relevant.

I do have moral/ethical qualms about people buying Bundles for $.01 and flipping them, more so since Humble Bundle Inc. changed their Bundles to having a minimum $1 purchase price.

I am confident the $1 minimum was made after Valve contacted Humble Bundle. Otherwise, it was a move to keep fairness for legitimate entrants to the Steam raffle.

From Wikipedia:

The Humble Indie Bundle 4 overlapped with a large holiday sale on the Steam software service, which offered numerous prizes by completing some achievements associated with the offered games in Steam, including entries into a raffle to win every game on the Steam service. During this overlap, Humble Bundle found that some users were abusing the system, paying the minimum amount ($0.01) for the Bundle, registering new Steam accounts, and using the newly purchased games to improve their chances for the Steam raffle. Humble Bundle considered this "unfair to legitimate entrants" in the Steam contest, and to stop it, the company altered the sale so that only those who paid more than $1.00 would receive Steam keys for the games.[

cicero

I'm assuming if/when they open this up to games, it will only work for games in your inventory. I don't believe they'll ever let you resell subscriptions you bought for yourself. That would devalue everything to an extreme degree and they can't want that.

Not to mention people hijacking accounts and quickly selling off all the games. I think it safe to assume that if they do open it up to games, it will be inventory only.

iavi

If Steam Market really comes to fruition, I'm saying it right now: I'll buy Outrun 2006 off of someone at a high price.

I've got a question about the bundles, are they only available to US residents or are the contents region free and purchasable by non-US residents (specifically the UK)?

HoosTrax

Not to mention people hijacking accounts and quickly selling off all the games. I think it safe to assume that if they do open it up to games, it will be inventory only.
It'd be a pretty good way of doing group buys of 4-packs and getting rid of unneeded ones, without having to waste time finding a full group, come to think of it.

It'd be a pretty good way of doing group buys of 4-packs and getting rid of unneeded ones, without having to waste time finding a full group, come to think of it.

But I actually can't think of many other good reasons to do this with games from your inventory. Since they have to be bought from Steam itself, everybody pays the same price, so there is no way to gain arbitrage and make money with this, unless you have some rare/delisted/almost never on sale games and hoard them for months/years.

1-D_FTW

If Steam Market really comes to fruition, I'm saying it right now: I'll buy Outrun 2006 off of someone at a high price.

*Looks at friends list* Five people have played it.

Time played: 0 hours, .1 hours, .2 hours, .2 hours, and .4 hours.

I'm high man with 2.1 hours.

Least I got my two dollars worth.

HoosTrax

But I actually can't think of many other good reasons to do this with games from your inventory. Since they have to be bought from Steam itself, everybody pays the same price, so there is no way to gain arbitrage and make money with this, unless you have some rare/delisted/almost never on sale games and hoard them for months/years.
People will do the same thing they always have, buy things during -75% sales and try to flip them for profit. Buy games like Frozen Synapse or Don't Starve and flip the free friend copy for profit etc.

People will do the same thing they always have, buy things during -75% sales and try to flip them for profit. Buy games like Frozen Synapse or Don't Starve and flip the free friend copy for profit etc.

There's nothing wrong with doing that (IMO, free market and all) but I'm saying it won't work. A LOT of people will do that, and the prices will reflect that according to demand. A few people might get lucky and profit from people who don't know better, but most people won't, especially considering the 15% fee.

Tizoc

The only reason why I bought the SFxT costume packs:

ss_5080616aafa8984307ce750b254b6a2b71e85a39.600x338.jpg

Chun-Li is also quite hot as a panda.

The alt. costume packs are free on PSN it seems, I just dled a free DLC and seems I got all the alts XP

Also Gief's voice is better in SFxT than SSF4 IMO.

Nabs

Giving my first real attempt at COD since MW4 with BO2. I'm going to say this. The game is liquid dogshit. I don't even see how this can be argued against. The online atrocious and without a doubt the worse I've experienced since the first Gears. But at least that game had some sort of quantifiable hit box. This game on the other hand. It never adds up. You see people shooting at a brick wall. And it shows its hitting you. There seems to be a second delay between you're movements and what the game can sensor. I don't even need to get into balancing issues, spawns, map layout. This alone makes the online unbearable.

I don't have any of those issues. Blops 2 is really fun, and the PC port is great.

MNC

Ugh, gifted Titan Quest to my girlfriend, wanted to play together, get Invalid CD Key errors... Are there any fixes? Google says I need Immortal Throne to fix it....?

Ace of Spades looks interesting...

0ZCa3.png

Nevermind.

Edit: I also put up a crate and a paint up for 1€ each. Maybe something happens eventually!

deejay

http://www.pocketwatchgames.com/Monaco/ hype, disappointed it doesn't give beta access. XBLA ruining that Minecraft like hype train.

Oh there was a 1UP section on it? Neat I don't think I remember that one. Will check it out.

I dunno $45 seems pretty reasonable. It's only $12.50 per person.

Wonder if we'll be able to set up a Hamachi to play it through LAN?

Just bought it. And Steam keys are already being handed out. Didn't expect that; they usually hand those out when the game has actually been released.
Can't wait for it though ! However, it will still take quite a while for it to be released :(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ugh, gifted Titan Quest to my girlfriend, wanted to play together, get Invalid CD Key errors... Are there any fixes? Google says I need Immortal Throne to fix it....?

Tell her to wait a hour or two and try again.

Ah, looks like they changed the Steam UI to remove the colours from the BPM icon and I think they put more space between it and the close/min/max buttons so accidentally clicking it is no longer an issue.

Wok

Just bought it. And Steam keys are already being handed out. Didn't expect that; they usually hand those out when the game has actually been released.
Can't wait for it though ! However, it will still take quite a while for it to be released :(

Can you play Monaco then?

morningbus

I understand that this conversation is wearing thin, but I feel like my point is being misrepresented. This will be my final bit on this, unless my view is misrepresented further. I apologize in advance.

You don't see any difference?? [Needless appeal to the audience excised]

I don't really. The DRM free games have value, too. If the trader were to assure me he hadn't downloaded and installed them and just gave me a link to the bundle page for my use, I would put about as much faith into him as if he gave me a Steam key with the promise he spent more than a dollar.

Except that buying a Humble Bundle for $.01 and trying to sell it for several dollars isn't even remotely comparable to having an extra key for Humble Bundle for Android 3, which had a minimum price of $1, and trading it for another Indie bundle or game that cost $2.50. If Humble Bundle Inc. or the individual developers actually had a problem with people buying multiple bundles for the minimum, or selling/trading keys, then they would have done something about it to restrict such actions. Instead, we get white knights, like yourself, who moralize about this issue and define ANY trading where a profit is made to be wrong, a "scuzzy move". And really, ALL trading is suspect because there is no verification process to determine how much was paid, so that no profit can be made.

Absolutely ridiculous.

I actually don't really understand what you're saying here. You say that you see the problem in buying a key for a penny and flipping it... why doesn't it scale up? What if the proposed penny purchase was flipped for a dollar? That's 99 cents profit. Compare it to the Humble Android example, where it was bought for a $1 and flipped for $2.50. That's $1.50 profit.

Look, I understand that it's small change we're talking about and the idea of doing this to any kind of scale is pretty hard to actualize (and is admittedly silly), but if you take issue with the penny payment being sold for a 99 cent profit, why don't you take issue with a $1.50 profit?

I'm not arguing against trading in general. It is usually impossible to know what a person spent on the item they are trading, but let's not pretend the case of the Humble Bundle applies to all items everywhere. We know that, to legally obtain a Humble Bundle key, $1 must be spent. You can not make that reasonable assumption about basically anything else, certainly with videogames.

I don't take issue with what drizzle proposed because what he is proposing isn't unreasonable. I do have moral/ethical qualms about people buying Bundles for $.01 and flipping them, more so since Humble Bundle Inc. changed their Bundles to having a minimum $1 purchase price. I do not for legitimately acquired promotional keys. At some point the promotions will end and those still wanting the game at a reduced price will find value in a trade. Apparently that is unethical/immoral in your mind, which I find strange, maybe in the end your position all boils down to a very strong distaste on your part for the end consumer making any kind of perceived profit off of a deal?

I think I take issue with the intent of taking a free key only to resell it later, when the free keys are no longer offered. It's not all that different from the derision often lobbed at people who go to a console launch to buy as many systems as they can with the sole intent of flipping them on eBay. (Before anyone comments, I understand it's not a perfect analogy because a console is a physical product with limited availability, but I think the comparison I make still stands).

It just rubs me the wrong way. I'd like to think the people that post here aren't trying to rip me off and are just interested in the community.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom