• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
the fuck is up with GMG and this cash back stuff? Buy a PC game at £40 ($65 USD) and get £7 back in your bank account? So why not just charge £33... this kind of shit is sleazy as hell.

edit. Also winter survey code expired for me.

Watched Iron Sky game on Youtube this morning, it's on another level. The voice acting is clearly recorded by 18 different people, in 65 different locations. It's great. Wait - there's a movie?! YES!

the fuck is up with GMG and this cash back stuff? Buy a PC game at £40 ($65 USD) and get £7 back in your bank account? So why not just charge £33... this kind of shit is sleazy as hell.

They can't put discounts on some games, like Bioshock Infinite. Probably something forced on them by the publisher.

So this is technically a loophole for them to sell it cheaper by making it a cashback. Not really sleazy, but just a way of trying to sell games cheap without incurring the wrath of publishers.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

They can't put discounts on some games, like Bioshock Infinite. Probably something forced on them by the publisher.

So this is technically a loophole for them to sell it cheaper by making it a cashback. Not really sleazy, but just a way of trying to sell games cheap without incurring the wrath of publishers.

Well, let's not pretend they're being purely altruistic here, either. Giving you cash back insures you'll return to their website.

Just picked up the Crysis Collection for 17.99 on steam! I love steam =D
But now Im wondering If I should have waited.... for the next steam sale

Well, let's not pretend they're being purely altruistic here, either. Giving you cash back insures you'll return to their website.

Well no shit. Of course they would. They'd be a pretty bad company if they're not looking for regular costumers.

I'm happy to go back to GMG if they keep offering me cheap games.

morningbus

Seeing as you probably will anyway, not a bad trade off.

Absolutely not. It's a great incentive and I'd do the same if I were in their place.

Still, there's this attitude, especially with the "little" guys, that they're doing us these incredible favors when really, they're a business. A very customer-friendly business, maybe, but a business none-the-less.

Well no shit. Of course they would. They'd be a pretty bad company if they're not looking for regular costumers.

I'm happy to go back to GMG if they keep offering me cheap games.

The way you phrased it made it sound like big bad Take2 was holding their head underwater and in their dying breath, GMG squealed out a discount.

The way you phrased it made it sound like big bad Take2 was holding their head underwater and in their dying breath, GMG squealed out a discount.

Of course not. They're a company, first and foremost. I just don't see cashbacks as shady, I see them as a pretty interesting way to sell your games cheap.

They do have my respect for it too. Running those kind of business is not easy with Valve and Amazon around.

morningbus

How do you know that isn't how it happened??!?!

My inside source says that Suge Knight held Tony off a balcony, trying to force him to stop Amazon from giving away all these great deals. Tony refused.

And now he's banned. Think about it.

Of course not. They're a company, first and foremost. I just don't see cashbacks as shady, I see them as a pretty interesting way to sell your games cheap.

They do have my respect for it too. Running those kind of business is not easy with Valve and Amazon around.

Agreed, though I'd argue that Valve actually made GMG viable in the first place. Neither they or Amazon would be as popular as they are now without giving out Steam keys.

Oh god the horror while installing HL2 for the first time.

Steam.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah. Valve really paved their way for on all how all digital games are sold. Funny how most of us hated Steam when it first came out. I thank Gaben they're around now.

And also for Dota 2.

I was ahead of the curve. I threw my keys into Steam prior to HL2 and never touched my HL1 related disks again. I was well pleased.

Relax.MX

Well my wife hate video games...she only like wii sports, but i want to try one last time with something more "mature".

What you think about The Walking Dead? she likes tv programs and one of the thing she hates of the videogames its that are to hard for her the controllers.

And i know is off topic but one good game of the wii with easy controllers

Same here. I gave it up as a bad job and played VTM: Bloodlines instead.

....I was in high school at the time. Bought the pirated version from a shop somewhere.

That was the problem with Malaysia, most of the software found was pirated, it was hard to even find a shop that sells original games.

Thanks to Steam I've not downloaded any pirated games in years. What they said a few years ago made sense. The reason why most people pirate games is not because they want it cheap, but because they can't have access to original games in the first place.

Well most. Some idiots I know still torrent them.

ShaneB

This... this is the best gif thing ever.

Definitely hilarious. First time I've seen that gif, whereas the other originalsteamiscrazy.gif gets around fairly frequently.

Well my wife hate video games...she only like wii sports, but i want to try one last time with something more "mature".

What you think about The Walking Dead? she likes tv programs and one of the thing she hates of the videogames its that are to hard for her the controllers.

And i know is off topic but one good game of the wii with easy controllers

Walking Dead is definitely an interesting choice, is it an option for you to play the game and she can watch/help? She can make dialogues choices with you, etc, help with puzzles, and you'll be handling the controls. I can imagine she'd be engrossed by the story, which could lead to other adventure games, which are a great gateway drug to other genres of games.

Sober

I remember when you could preload all of HL2 without having to buy it, so I did, and went out and bought a boxed copy so I could unlock it with the CDkey... good times, except for the part where everyone wanted to play HL2 and Steam just went bazonk.

Valve really needs to do something about the extra Mac versions of some games (Civ IV, GTA) in your library. Why can't they just work like the other Steamplay games?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Valve really needs to do something about the extra Mac versions of some games (Civ IV, GTA) in your library. Why can't they just work like the other Steamplay games?

Although there should be a system in place that prevents Mac versions from showing up in the Windows client, at this juncture it's up to the publishers to flag them correctly.

kswiston

CIV 4 is the worst, because I also have to look at duplicated entries for Warlords, Beyond the Sword, and Colonization.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom