• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

I can't recommend Defenders Quest enough.
No lie. Just got it this afternoon and I've put four hours into it so far. It's kind of like Fire Emblem meets tower defense, and with a really great soundtrack. It's also pretty replayable, as in you can breeze through each mission on Normal, but there's some pretty hefty incentive to replay it on the two higher difficulties.

Lain

I can't recommend Defenders Quest enough. It's like an RPG mixed with tower defense. I usually hate TD games, but this one manages to bring the fun. Instead of placing towers you put troops down onto the battlefield. You choose from a Berserker/Ranger/Ice mage/Knight/Healer/Dragon. Each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. Each map location has 4 different difficulties to beat. As you beat the tougher ones you get better weapons and armor and in-between levels you choose your upgrades on a skill tree.
LcCrN.jpg

The story is so-so but I really dug the game overall. (58hrs so far)

Some other pluses,
Newgame +
Export and import save games (came in useful for me with dropbox and my laptop)
Adjustable exp options in the menu
Crazy achievements (beat the whole game with only the original 6 and no recruits? Yes please!)
Long demo if you want to try it out first
6 spells to cast (Lightening bolt/Fury/Heal/Crystal bomb/Enemy bump back/Fireball)
aGcwY.jpg

Completely agree. I also generally dislike Tower Defense games, yet this one clicked with me and playing it has been pretty fun (though haven't finished it yet).

I also agree that the story is nothing special, but I have to admit how much I love the type of humor inserted in it (complete with those facial expressions the characters make), as it brought plenty of smiles to my face.

Mrbob

Add me as another who HIGHLY recommends Defenders Quest.

I picked it up during the Fall sale and it is my Indie GOTY. Game is so much fun, and I normally loathe tower defense games.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Because tower defense is mostly programming logic with simple graphics?

That's like asking why most indie platformers use 8bit graphics.

Yeah, but being indie gives you the freedom to stop making the same type of games that just get cranked out.... and that freedom gets ignored.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not quite Steam-related, but as the games they are based on are on Steam, I'll ask it here: Has anyone read any of the The Witcher books? I'm looking at the Amazon Kindle store and there are two of them sold there (The Last Wish and Blood of Elves). They are $10 each, so I'd only like to get them if I can be sure I'll like them. So far the first game is fantastic, and I'm loving everything about it (except for the crashes), so if the writing's kinda similar, I think I'll enjoy them. Any opinions?

ShaneB

Well, with all these recommendations, perhaps i'll pick up Defender's Quest during the sale when I dump christmas sale money into my steam wallet.

How did you end up with so much money in your Steam wallet? Are you prepping for the Winter sale?

I've traded in a bunch of games and older systems during the year to Gamestop and Best Buy that were collecting dust. I used the store credit for Steam gift cards since that's where a majority of my game purchases are made and I do like to have sufficient funds ready for the sales too.

Caerith

Not quite Steam-related, but as the games they are based on are on Steam, I'll ask it here: Has anyone read any of the The Witcher books? I'm looking at the Amazon Kindle store and there are two of them sold there (The Last Wish and Blood of Elves). They are $10 each, so I'd only like to get them if I can be sure I'll like them. So far the first game is fantastic, and I'm loving everything about it (except for the crashes), so if the writing's kinda similar, I think I'll enjoy them. Any opinions?
I haven't played the Witcher, but I've read both of the books (that have been released in the US) and will read the third. Apparently they're good enough to spawn a video game series?

$10 each is a bit steep, though. They're out as paperbacks, so spending more than $5-6 is questionable.

Milamber

I currently have over $300 in mine. Not sure what the limit is though.

Ready%252520for%252520the%252520sale.JPG

Eh!? But...

What kind of Steam Wallet and item listing restrictions apply?

Currently we are restricting Steam Wallet balances to $200. As a result, you will be restricted from listing items for sale in the Community Market if the existing balance in your Steam Wallet, plus the sale price of the item(s), would together exceed the $200 limit. We may be raising the Steam Wallet balance limit, or otherwise changing this restriction, in the future. Note that, if you have multiple accounts, balances for all Steam Wallets associated with all of your accounts will be aggregated for purposes of applying this limit.

It won't even let me add $100 to my account as I'm currently $116.

kswiston

I find it boring and tedious.

Ya, but you were talking about indie developer freedom to make the sort of games they want to make, not the sort of games you personally want to play. Some people like playing tower defense games, and I'm sure some indie devs like making them. As someone else said, they are probably one of the easier genres to make with a really small team. Same is true with twin stick shooters.

Besides, it's not like Steam is drowning in Tower Defense games (at least no more than any other non-pinball genre).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Ya, but you were talking about indie developer freedom to make the sort of games they want to make, not the sort of games you personally want to play. Some people like playing tower defense games, and I'm sure some indie devs like making them. As someone else said, they are probably one of the easier genres to make with a really small team. Same is true with twin stick shooters.

I said they had the freedom to not make the same type of games as everyone else.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
An indie making a tower defense game is like a bunch of friends opening up a burrito joint and it being about as good as Taco Bell.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't think I like the tower defense genre in general -- there are probably lots of similar flash games or whatever -- but Defense Grid and Plants vs Zombies are two that are outstanding for their quality/production values, in my opinion. Plants vs Zombies is perhaps especially unique compared to "normal" tower defense games.

Yeah, but being indie gives you the freedom to stop making the same type of games that just get cranked out.... and that freedom gets ignored.
If you have a studio of 1-3 people, that genre is more feasible than say, a call of duty FPS campaign. I'd say there is a huge variety of indie games, and though you may not enjoy tower defense, I don't think they outnumber say, platformers.

Played a couple hours of Space Marine competitive multiplayer.

It's actually pretty fun, and do-able with a game-pad(depending on my weapon of choice I can hang pretty well, got 18 kills in my first match with the sniper)

The plasma cannon can suck the entirety of my booty hole though.

zkylon

zkylewd
So Binary Domain was pretty awesome, thanks to everyone in this thread for recommending it a billion times until it finally got through my thick head.

Narag

Played a couple hours of Space Marine competitive multiplayer.

It's actually pretty fun, and do-able with a game-pad(depending on my weapon of choice I can hang pretty well, got 18 kills in my first match with the sniper)

The plasma cannon can suck the entirety of my booty hole though.

Had no idea it was still active, might have to jump back in.

So this game patches via Planetside 2's updater, and you appear to not be able to buy stuff through the Steam store. Does this mean that Valve's rules on free to play games are loosening up? Seems like EA's whole problem with Steam was that they couldn't "talk directly to their customers". Well that's exactly what SoE is doing... weird. Some Seattle brotherhood thing going on or is EA just making excuses at this point?

Personally I prefer the way Valve were handling it, where you could buy everything through Steam if you chose to. I like the simplicity of a single store front and the assurance that content will remain once DLC servers are turned off: see Burnout Paradise.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played the Witcher, but I've read both of the books (that have been released in the US) and will read the third. Apparently they're good enough to spawn a video game series?

$10 each is a bit steep, though. They're out as paperbacks, so spending more than $5-6 is questionable.
Nice, it seems you enjoyed them, so if I'm liking the game they inspired, I think I will too.

The problem is that Amazon's international shipment will probably charge me more than 10 bucks for the 3 books. Although that's the only way to get the third one, it isn't available on Kindle from what I saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom