• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Is AI War good?
Judging from the screenshots and the video, the sheer scale is hugely daunting to me as a player and someone who is terrible at strategy. It's also daunting to me as a programmer, since that style of ship warm and interaction are something I think would be cool to write AI for or something, but it's probably already been done.

It appears that there's a demo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
Picked up Cities XL 2012 today for $10. I've had some interest in the game, but not for the regular price at $40. I guess this game is supposed to eat up your PC, but I'm running a Sapphire 7970 with an AMD FX-8150. If my rig bogs down, the developers should receive a swift kick to the shins.

Just Cause 2 is also $5

Steam makes me smile.

Picked up Cities XL 2012 today for $10. I've had some interest in the game, but not for the regular price at $40. I guess this game is supposed to eat up your PC, but I'm running a Sapphire 7970 with an AMD FX-8150. If my rig bogs down, the developers should receive a swift kick to the shins.

Just Cause 2 is also $5

Steam makes me smile.

I think it just uses one core, so that's where a lot of the stutter comes from. That might've been 2011 though, not entirely sure.

Also War in the North isn't bad, but I think Dungeon Siege 3 is vastly superior for the type of game that it is. Might be better in co-op, though, if you have someone to play with. I also didn't have any trouble with actual performance, it seemed pretty low spec friendly actually.

Chesskid1

Banned
looks like there is a registry entry called XSEED (Partner) added. wonder if we'll be seeing some xseed games on steam!

So, I'm guessing these games have hit the registry. How long does it usually take for a game to come out after it shows up there? I'm champing at the bit for both of these.

it just really depends. sometime a few days, sometimes a few weeks, sometimes the game never comes (very rare).

Flunkie

Banned
Sword & Sworcery EP is fantastic. Don't know how it'll translate to PC, though, seeing as there's specific motions for actions - turning your device sideways to go into combat mode, turning sideways to open your menu thing, etc.

camerooni

Neo Member
Would buy Cities XL 2012 if they didn't take my 'you already own Cities XL 2011' discount away any time there's a sale. €10 is too much for an incremental upgrade over 2011.

Oh, in case anyone owns Hearts of Iron III, I would recommend the Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes DLC. I can give more detailed impressions, but I doubt anyone here has actually played Hearts of Iron III enough to want it :p.

I'd love some thoughts on this.. Been trying to get into HOI3 last night, I was trying to start off with the base game or one of the earlier expansions, which I read on the forums could be done by loading the launcher from the Steam directory rather than run directly through Steam - Though the only option that comes up is Default (For the Motherland), or Dies Irae, which I'm guessing is Semper Fi, but according to Paradox those are two different expansions!?

When I try to run Dies Irae from the launcher I get an error in some dcp file or something, but verifying cache with Steam tells me that everything is good :/

I just wish playing Paradox games through Steam didn't totally do my head in. The game also has an ingame menu to unlock content through Gamers Gate!? Most of that content I have in the Steam bundle I bought, but whether or not it's active I actually have no idea nor any way to tell!?

Cheers mate =)

kswiston

It's not a Steam Key, but does anyone want Dawn of Fantasy? I got it from IGN Prime, but probably won't have the time to play it.

First quote gets the key.

The_End

It's not a Steam Key, but does anyone want Dawn of Fantasy? I got it from IGN Prime, but probably won't have the time to play it.

First quote gets the key.

I'll take it.

Edit: On second thought, it doesn't really look like my kind of game. I'll pass. Better to give it to somebody who wants it more than I do. Thanks anyway.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Yeah Amazon was able to remove tages then someone emailed Deep Silver and here was their response.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28495991&postcount=21
We've also sent a DRM free version to Valve for the Stea version, but it may take another week or so for them to update the code. Soon Risen will be Tages/DRM free there as well.

Note: If you reply to this Email please do not edit the subject line. Thank you!

Best regards

Deep Silver Inc.
900 Larkspur Landing Circle, Suite 103
Larkspur CA 94939 / USA
Fax: 415-524-8709

Email: info@deepsilver.com
Webpage: http://www.deepsilver.com

lfvgt

Neo Member
So it's Desktop Dungeons stripped down even further, pretty much?

Not needed. DD is amazing in that it still manages to be a lot of fun because it only peels away complexity in smart ways. Play that instead.

Yes, absolutely. Playing with ranged characters is usually a cakewalk too (some campaigns are outright impossible though, you just get surrounded by mobs and it's impossible to run away).

Bisonian

I can't help but feel like in HSL that it can be fiendishly difficult with no real way to affect the outcome of whatever first floor random deathtrap the game hands you. The lack of a semi-reliable regen mechanic is pretty brutal.

I was rather disappointed with it. It's definitely no desktop dungeons.

lfvgt

Neo Member
I can't help but feel like in HSL that it can be fiendishly difficult with no real way to affect the outcome of whatever first floor random deathtrap the game hands you. The lack of a semi-reliable regen mechanic is pretty brutal.

I was rather disappointed with it. It's definitely no desktop dungeons.

You're correct. There's no skill involved whatsoever.

If you're looking for a friendly yet good roguelike I recommend Dungeons of Dredmor too.

svegis

If you're looking for a friendly yet good roguelike I recommend Dungeons of Dredmor too.

DoD gets my vote too, a very accessible roguelike for newcomers and the more experienced.
Has some great comedy bits, too. And massive eyebrows.

If our words are not enough to convince, maybe the fact that PC Gamer US crowned DoD their indie game of 2011. More on that here.

They are still quite active with balancing and patching, they're just now having a patch in beta with a fair amount of fixes and a rewrite pertaining to audio. Supportive, friendly developer.

wutwutwut

I've played it and I can say it's a shallow roguelike and no way it's worth $10. You can get much better ones for free. There is no inventory or spells, all you do is click repeatedly at enemies and hover items trying to decide if they are worthy picking up. This is literally all there is to this game.
Out of curiosity, what do you think of the Binding of Isaac?

Sober

Would buy Cities XL 2012 if they didn't take my 'you already own Cities XL 2011' discount away any time there's a sale. €10 is too much for an incremental upgrade over 2011.
I think the 2011 owner discount is only 66%. 75% is usually the sale discount so you really should only take advantage of it when it's not on sale.

how similar is cities xl 2012 to simcity? from the reviews it seems quite an average game.

Some people complained about Cities XL on the Steam forums, but since it's a shared forum for all versions not sure which one.

Is 2012 good? I prefer the building aspect to micro-managing the moneys.
2012 the incremental upgrade to 2011 so no. Aside from not being tied to a grid system and some interesting RCI interactions and transit interactions, it is incredibly CPU limited. Like it will use a single core no matter what. SC4 does it too but it's understandable that they didn't entirely futureproof a game in 2003. Regardless, CXL just shows why 3D can't really work for city sims. Eventually you reach a point where you will chug unless you have a supercomputer from the future. If they bothered the write an engine that took advantage of multiple cores maybe it wouldn't be so bad.

Either way, 3D isn't really the way to go for city sims since you are essentially limiting the mod community's creativity/attention to detail because with 3D you can only go so far, unlike the 2.5D setup they have in SC4.

Wishlisted Risen 2, the sooner they add a price, the sooner I can pre-order the game. Also can't wait to re-install and replay the first Risen once it goes TAGES free. Risen is a brilliant game that I hope more people try out once the terribad DRM is gone. Probably one of the most rewarding and challenging open world rpgs I've played in a good long while. I absolutely love the world, it was so layered and fun to explore.

lfvgt

Neo Member
Wishlisted Risen 2, the sooner they add a price, the sooner I can pre-order the game. Also can't wait to re-install and replay the first Risen once it goes TAGES free. Risen is a brilliant game that I hope more people try out once the terribad DRM is gone. Probably one of the most rewarding and challenging open world rpgs I've played in a good long while. I absolutely love the world, it was so layered and fun to explore.

I hope they do a Daily Deal/Weekend Deal/Midweek Madness to announce the DRM removal, I've got a 75% off coupon just waiting for that to happen...

Card Boy

Banned
Thank you man! but why?

The game stutters like crazy on series 5800 + cards. Literally down to single digit FPS. Its fine for Nvidia users. Snowblind blames AMD and has passed the buck to them when its clearly their problem.

Also other reasons why you shouldn't get it:

* Doesn't have local co-op (when the console versions do)
* No text chat
* Graphic options have no visual difference between the maximum and minimum (unless its DOF)
* Lowering graphics options has no impact on framerate performance
* Going online is basically just quick join

Console port to the max.

The game stutters like crazy on series 5800 + cards. Literally down to single digit FPS. Its fine for Nvidia users. Snowblind blames AMD and has passed the buck to them when its clearly their problem.

Also other reasons why you shouldn't get it:

* Doesn't have local co-op (when the console versions do)
* No text chat
* Graphic options have no visual difference between the maximum and minimum (unless its DOF)
* Lowering graphics options has no impact on framerate performance
* Going online is basically just quick join

Console port to the max.

Well I have Nvidia, and to be honest, I watched some videos and it doesn't liked me, so I finally traded it for Dead Space Pack and Darksiders (for my brother) is that a good trade? (Remember that the game is $15)

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Just finished Limbo and it was a blast. What a great game, completely original, very immersive with a simple yet satisfying gameplay. God I wish it had not been so short, took me 3 hours according to steam to finish it but was worth every dollar.

Just finished Limbo and it was a blast. What a great game, completely original, very immersive with a simple yet satisfying gameplay. God I wish it had not been so short, took me 3 hours according to steam to finish it but was worth every dollar.

I just played through that a few weeks ago in a single sitting. I disagree about the length; I thought it was perfect, feeling fairly epic while not overstaying its welcome. I agree with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom