• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't even know what that 1000 Amps is, but I almost want to buy it just for the art style. Thanks for the heads up on the demo!

*edit* I wonder why the demo wasn't on Steam. *edit2* Oh, because it's a Flash webpage. 8D

Gav47

Nice :) Primarily because of the Rayman Origin thing, right?

Must be but I'm sure they'll sell it separably.

Did they announce whether or not the Steam version had additional DRM? The twitter announcement specifically called out the retail version as being DRM free.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Must be but I'm sure they'll sell it separably.

Did they announce whether or not the Steam version had additional DRM? The twitter announcement specifically called out the retail version as being DRM free.

Steam (and all DD versions) have 3 activation TAGES.

Card Boy

Banned
Payday looks tempting, any thoughts?

Better than L4D. Of course that's my opinion though.

The guys at Overkill have major DLC for it upcoming, I'm assuming its free due to other posts i have read from the guys. The support these guys are giving the game is amazing. Even if the DLC was a tenner i would gladly hand over the cash.

PATCH 5 is any moment now. It is a small but important one with fixes based on the Xmas feedback.

Fix for custom Nvidia Settings being reset by PAYDAY

Fix for Steam disconnect crash

Fix so you can play PAYDAY in Steam Offline mode

Fix for random crashes in Diamond Heist

Fix for Drop In disabling some interactions for the dropped in clients on Slaughterhouse.

Optimizations for more FPS.

PATCH 6 is bigger with the OVERKILL 145+ features etc but we wanted to get this one out fast for you guys.

Bo

MRORANGE

Rayman 2 just got added to the reg

FvlR0.gif

Nice :) Primarily because of the Rayman Origin thing, right?

BgVOb.jpg

Ubisoft never learn do they?

Gabe Newell interview said:
Recently I was in a meeting and there’s a company that had a third party DRM solution and we showed them look, this is what happens, at this point in your life cycle your DRM got hacked, right? Now let’s look at the data, did your sales change at all? No, your sales didn’t change one bit. Right? So here’s before and after, here’s where you have DRM that annoys your customers and causing huge numbers of support calls and in theory you would think that you would see a huge drop off in sales after that got hacked, and instead there was absolutely no difference in sales before or after. You know, and then we tell them you actually probably lost a whole bunch of sales as near as we can tell, here’s how much money you lost by bundling that with your product.

Don't
Underestimate
Mindless
Businessmen

Not that I'm defending the obvious negatives of being a public company, but I find it ironic that a vast majority is so against investors, but then DF puts up a Kickstarter campaign, and all of the sudden, that majority wants to be treated exactly like investors.

Ionic

Not that I'm defending the obvious negatives of being a public company, but I find it ironic that a vast majority is so against investors, but then DF puts up a Kickstarter campaign, and all of the sudden, that majority wants to be treated exactly like investors.

I really don't think most of the people who donated on Kickstarter want to be treated like an investor. That's probably just a few really loud people saying that.

It definitely wasn't a majority. It was a few who either didn't understand what was going on and looking for clarification, or were idiots.

An investor wants a return on his/her investment whereas in the kickstarter campaign, the majority just want to be a part of the process (that and I doubt those that are super vocal are the majority). Personally I donated to DF's campaign and just want to watch it all unfold.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
An investor wants a return on his/her investment whereas in the kickstarter campaign, the majority just want to be a part of the process (that and I doubt those that are super vocal are the majority). Personally I donated to DF's campaign and just want to watch it all unfold.

And even then, it seems like most people who participated in the kickstarter want to be a part of the process as a fly on the wall, rather than having any input on the direction of the game. That was my impression, at least.

And even then, it seems like most people who participated in the kickstarter want to be a part of the process as a fly on the wall, rather than having any input on the direction of the game. That was my impression, at least.

Oh I agree...That's why I donated...I just want to be able to watch the process unfold. I want a DF created game, not a Kickstarter donators created one..

I own Clash of Heroes for Xbox but want to double dip because I never play on it and want faster loading times. Can you convert/move save files? I'd have to do the first chapter over again.

epmode

I still can't believe this. It's monumentally stupid. Releasing a DRM-free version to retail just compounds the stupidity.

The DRM limits will affect no one but legitimate customers! Even the crackers won't have to deal with it!

Why the hell do my desktop icons shuffle every time I exit Prototype? I think it's done this since I configured the Xbox 360 controller as the default. WTF kind of bug is that? Yes, I'm playing at my monitor's resolution and I haven't seen this in any other game.

Kit Airwave

Neo Member
So I bought Cities XL for this midweek madness. I know some of you are on the fence about it's level of entertainment while others are concerned about this game sucking the life out of their PC. Well I'm here to tell you that the game is a blast and very addicting. I can see how once you fill up your city, Cities XL 2012 might become a bit bland due to a lack of missions/directions in the game, but I'm a long way from getting there. If you're into the whole sandbox thing, you'll probably like this title. While I think the regular price of $40 is far too much. $10 was well worth it for me.

Cities XL 2012 is very heavy your CPU. It will max out your first core and not utilize any of those others (which isn't that out of the ordinary). I was between 98%-100% CPU usage regardless of what I was doing in game. I didn't notice any memory leaks(as reported in 2011) even after running for 4 hours straight. GPU load is very small. I think my max GPU load was about 25%, but it regularly hovered between 5% and 15%.

If you'd like a point of reference. I have provided my usage while playing Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2.

CitiesXL2012-1.jpg

Here's the CPU/GPU/RAM usage for Cities XL 2012 with a medium load.
CitieXL2012MediumLoad.jpg

This is a medium load with Crysis 2

1900x1200 DX11, Hi-res texture pack, all settings on ULTRA
Crysis2-1.jpg

This is the Crysis 2 usage
Crysis2MediumLoad.jpg

This is Starcraft 2 taking a medium load
Max Settings, 1900x1200
SC2-1.jpg

This is the SC2 usage.
Starcraft2MediumLoad.png

Clearly Cities XL 2012 has some performance issues, but if you've got $10 and a decent rig, I suggest picking up this while you still can.

SparkTR

So who is playing Realm of Mad God?

I did play it for a few days until I realized:

1. There's not much content in the game

2. XP trains are a gamebreakingly effective way to gain experience to the point where leveling up any other way isn't worthwhile, which makes an already repetitive game even more repetitive

HoosTrax

I did play it for a few days until I realized:

1. There's not much content in the game

• XP trains are a gamebreakingly effective way to gain experience to the point where leveling up any other way isn't worthwhile, which makes an already repetitive game even more repetitive
I play these types of games for the loot, and when said loot consists of a handful of pixels and there's no variety in character models, it wears out its welcome really quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom