• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I just played through that a few weeks ago in a single sitting. I disagree about the length; I thought it was perfect, feeling fairly epic while not overstaying its welcome. I agree with the rest!

Oh don't get me wrong about the length of the game, is just that I wanted more! It's very rare (for me at least) this days to finish a game and feel the need to keep playing, Limbo did that for me. For instance I finished Trine last week and while the game was awesome it just got repetitive to the end like most games and when I was done with it I didn't feel any need to go back to it or buy Trine 2 for example.

Kabouter

I'd love some thoughts on this.. Been trying to get into HOI3 last night, I was trying to start off with the base game or one of the earlier expansions, which I read on the forums could be done by loading the launcher from the Steam directory rather than run directly through Steam - Though the only option that comes up is Default (For the Motherland), or Dies Irae, which I'm guessing is Semper Fi, but according to Paradox those are two different expansions!?
Semper Fi and For the Motherland are proper expansions, the two Dies Irae things are effectively mod DLCs by Paradox. There really is no point to playing a version before For the Motherland, so don't worry too much about that. As far as Dies Irae stuff goes. If you intend on playing a single-player game as Germany, start the game with the launcher and select Dies Irae: Götterdämmerung, if you intend on playing a single-player game as the US, start the game with the launcher and select Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes (if you have it).

When I try to run Dies Irae from the launcher I get an error in some dcp file or something, but verifying cache with Steam tells me that everything is good :/
Not familiar with that error, might want to head over to the Paradox forums and ask in the tech support forum there.

I just wish playing Paradox games through Steam didn't totally do my head in. The game also has an ingame menu to unlock content through Gamers Gate!? Most of that content I have in the Steam bundle I bought, but whether or not it's active I actually have no idea nor any way to tell!?

Cheers mate =)
If you own them on Steam, they're installed, don't worry about the ingame menu.

Now, as for Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes impressions:
I have always liked playing Hearts of Iron III as the US, but one of the main issues I felt it always had was that you spent nearly six ingame years just building with not much flavour to it. Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes changes that by introducing quite a few new events and decisions that mainly revolve around the New Deal and your responses to German and Japanese aggression. When war is near, you'll find it also changes the entire mechanics surrounding the Lend-Lease program. All very good changes, as are the tech tree changes that for instance change the mechanics surrounding marines. There are a few other good minor changes/additions, but not worth mentioning specifically.

It isn't perfect however. The Japanese AI has started building massive coastal forts on basically all its important islands in the Pacific, which would be a great addition, if it weren't for the fact that the US military AI can't really deal with that. It won't do days of bombardment before attacking. It'll just keep sending marine division after marine division, losing most of its men in the process. Only way I was able to beat Japan was by taking control of certain airforce units manually. The AI also needs improving when it comes to the European theatre, and more specifically, I feel there should be a decision for Operation Torch (The Allied invasion of the Vichy-controlled North-African territories).

So yeah, on the whole, not perfect, but definitely recommended if you're a fan of the game.

camerooni

Neo Member
Semper Fi and For the Motherland are proper expansions, the two Dies Irae things are effectively mod DLCs by Paradox. There really is no point to playing a version before For the Motherland, so don't worry too much about that. As far as Dies Irae stuff goes. If you intend on playing a single-player game as Germany, start the game with the launcher and select Dies Irae: Götterdämmerung, if you intend on playing a single-player game as the US, start the game with the launcher and select Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes (if you have it).

Not familiar with that error, might want to head over to the Paradox forums and ask in the tech support forum there.

If you own them on Steam, they're installed, don't worry about the ingame menu.

Now, as for Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes impressions:
I have always liked playing Hearts of Iron III as the US, but one of the main issues I felt it always had was that you spent nearly six ingame years just building with not much flavour to it. Dies Irae: Stars and Stripes changes that by introducing quite a few new events and decisions that mainly revolve around the New Deal and your responses to German and Japanese aggression. When war is near, you'll find it also changes the entire mechanics surrounding the Lend-Lease program. All very good changes, as are the tech tree changes that for instance change the mechanics surrounding marines. There are a few other good minor changes/additions, but not worth mentioning specifically.

It isn't perfect however. The Japanese AI has started building massive coastal forts on basically all its important islands in the Pacific, which would be a great addition, if it weren't for the fact that the US military AI can't really deal with that. It won't do days of bombardment before attacking. It'll just keep sending marine division after marine division, losing most of its men in the process. Only way I was able to beat Japan was by taking control of certain airforce units manually. The AI also needs improving when it comes to the European theatre, and more specifically, I feel there should be a decision for Operation Torch (The Allied invasion of the Vichy-controlled North-African territories).

So yeah, on the whole, not perfect, but definitely recommended if you're a fan of the game.

Thanks mate.. that clears up a lot of the points that were confusing me about the game - other than learning how to play it ;) Will put some more time into it!

Deques

I got a coupon for AI War from Chesskid1. But since it couldn't be used with the bundle I let someone else have it.

First to pm me gets it

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I was planning to buy most of CivV's DLC, but then I realized it's actually cheaper to buy the GotY edition in retail.

With that said, what will happen if I use the code of the GotY edition? Will I have two CivV's in my steam registry?

Only a week before our coupons expire. Was hoping to use my witcher 2 coupon :/

I was hoping to use my Assassin's Creed Brotherhood coupon. Still one week so we have 7 daily deals and 1 weekend deal and half a mid-week madness. So there is still hope!

kennah

I was so happy that I got to use my Space Marine one! :)

Of course, then my computer started turning itself off when under load. :(

Aaron

Is there a thread for giving away these coupons before they expire? I have a few decent ones I have no use of, including 50% off AI War: Fleet command if someone wants to save like a dollar.

Boss Doggie

So no one knows the answer to my plight?

Is there a thread for giving away these coupons before they expire? I have a few decent ones I have no use of, including 50% off AI War: Fleet command if someone wants to save like a dollar.

Sure I'll take it.

MRORANGE

you can post here or over here or over here.

printscreen with pm's as communication would save you time.

Boss Doggie

I'm asking again guys since I'm about to leave to get it. What would happen if I add CivV GotY if I have already CivV?

ShaneB

I'm asking again guys since I'm about to leave to get it. What would happen if I add CivV GotY if I have already CivV?

It might be a case of "you already own this game"

Example being I can't buy New Vegas Ultimate Edition because I already own New Vegas.

But what do I know.

edit: Nevermind, it says I already own New Vegas, but apparently I can purchase Ultimate Edition.

This post is null and void. lol

Jomjom

Banned
Does anyone know when Freebird's To the Moon is releasing on Steam or if it ever will? I listened to that song Everything's Alright and now I want to play the game really really badly.

here is a list of stuff from amazon that activate on steam, sales start tomorrow:

Darkness 2 $24.99
Payday: The Heist $4.99
Saint's Row The Third $24.99
Space Marine Warhammer $14.99 + DLC will be on sale too
Red Faction Armageddon $4.99
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Retribution Complete Pack $19.99

prices will flip at 3am est/12am pst.

Interested in Saints Row 3 and Darkness but going to wait for even more of a price drop. I don't see playing either of them right now.

Does anyone know when Freebird's To the Moon is releasing on Steam or if it ever will? I listened to that song Everything's Alright and now I want to play the game really really badly.

Yeah, that's a beautiful song.

Boss Doggie

Go buy Ceville!

It might be a case of "you already own this game"

Example being I can't buy New Vegas Ultimate Edition because I already own New Vegas.

But what do I know.

edit: Nevermind, it says I already own New Vegas, but apparently I can purchase Ultimate Edition.

This post is null and void. lol

Wait, Steam won't allow repurchase/readmission of a GotY version of the game?

I've been playing Dead Island single-player and think something is wrong with the co-op. Every time I join all of my current quests reset and give me ones I already completed. I've been stuck on the lighthouse quests for 2 days. Just as bad is the fact that it doesn't attempt to connect only to other players near my level. The matchmaking sucks and I'm worried it's worse than Borderlands. Haven't heard anyone with a mike yet either. I'm getting bored playing it the way it is; should I try again?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
here is a list of stuff from amazon that activate on steam, sales start tomorrow:

Darkness 2 $24.99
Payday: The Heist $4.99
Saint's Row The Third $24.99
Space Marine Warhammer $14.99 + DLC will be on sale too
Red Faction Armageddon $4.99
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Retribution Complete Pack $19.99

some prices will flip at 3am est/12am pst.

you can find the rest, nonsteam in the Amazon DD Sales thread whenever they get posted up.

I may jump on RF:A, simply because it's the one Red Faction game I don't own.

Nabs

1000 Amps is now available for $4.49. This is the first I'm hearing of it, so I'll be checking for some impressions.

ss_63f728d9b846fd294390c870020ffab0726427de.600x338.jpg

ss_70568d9a02d67cae8ee7b1c66fa774570ff6898b.600x338.jpg

I've been playing Dead Island single-player and think something is wrong with the co-op. Every time I join all of my current quests reset and give me ones I already completed. I've been stuck on the lighthouse quests for 2 days.

This is one of the poor design choices that the developers made when implementing the co-op. Instead of letting everyone keep their own quest progress in co-op, they made it so that one person can complete a quest that another one hasn't even taken yet but it will still get completed for the second person.

I remember I was playing the game with a friend when some random person joined my game and my quest log instantly updated to show about 20 quests that I hadn't even taken were now completed.

Random co-op is a bad idea in this game for this very reason. Play in a private game with friends and progress through the game together.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yo what the fuck I just paid roughly 1 .25$ per megabyte.

What a rip off.

I expect more megabytes per dollar.

Quicky impressions:

-Animation and art is gorgeous
-Music is partially dynamic it seems
-Locked at 30 fps :(
-Limited to 4:3 it seems, scales fine proportionally to 1080p though.
-Built in Flash lol.
-Gameplay seems pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom