• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GAF.

Just got a job.
I want to buy a cheap RPG.
Give me instruction.

Not Amalur.

Risen, I guess. It's an open world RPG but it's much different than modern Elder Scrolls games, skills are useful and there are no level-ranged areas. The overworld is small (relatively speaking), but it's hand crafted.

That, or play Recettear. It's awesome.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Purchased RF:A through Amazon. I changed my billing address to Google's CA HQ and the order completed just fine.

Steam (and all DD versions) have 3 activation TAGES.

The whole idea with DRM like this in games like that is so stupid and anti-consumer that I wouldn´t accept the game for free. The same with Dark Void Zero which I absolutely refuse to buy even though it´s practically free during sales.

dk_

The same thing I posted in the Amazon DD thread: Is there a US Gaffer who would buy me Payday for $4.99? I would transfer the money via Paypal.

The whole idea with DRM like this in games like that is so stupid and anti-consumer that I wouldn´t accept the game for free. The same with Dark Void Zero which I absolutely refuse to buy even though it´s practically free during sales.
i am right there with you. too many other good games out there that don't come bundled with restrictive fuckery to even bother. i am however interested in clash of heroes from amazon because somehow that ubi release dodged the bullshit drm bullet (and is steamworks to boot!).

MRORANGE

The entire series does. The original had such a bad memory leak (which was never fixed as the dev went out of business) that the new company that did 2011 gave a huge discount on 2011 for owning the original.

I heard they development team changes for every single iteration of the game and are hired on a contract base only.

Mikeside

I hear the game is just normal ass though.

normal ass?
is that even a thing?

Risen, I guess. It's an open world RPG but it's much different than modern Elder Scrolls games, skills are useful and there are no level-ranged areas. The overworld is small (relatively speaking), but it's hand crafted.

That, or play Recettear. It's awesome.

both of these choices are great - totally different games, but both amazing
I'd say Recettear wins it for me

svegis

So I bought Cities XL for this midweek madness. I know some of you are on the fence about it's level of entertainment while others are concerned about this game sucking the life out of their PC. Well I'm here to tell you that the game is a blast and very addicting. I can see how once you fill up your city, Cities XL 2012 might become a bit bland due to a lack of missions/directions in the game, but I'm a long way from getting there. If you're into the whole sandbox thing, you'll probably like this title. While I think the regular price of $40 is far too much. $10 was well worth it for me.

Cities XL 2012 is very heavy your CPU. It will max out your first core and not utilize any of those others (which isn't that out of the ordinary). I was between 98%-100% CPU usage regardless of what I was doing in game. I didn't notice any memory leaks(as reported in 2011) even after running for 4 hours straight. GPU load is very small. I think my max GPU load was about 25%, but it regularly hovered between 5% and 15%.

If you'd like a point of reference. I have provided my usage while playing Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2.

-Snipped pictures-

Thank you very much for the details, and at least I appreciate you taking time to compare CPU and GPU loads. Would of course need a lengthier check to make absolutely sure but it's a good start! And I like you listing the impressions too of the game, it's not really my thing, but here's to hoping it helps some people out. Stuff like this is (to me) welcome from anyone, so major props to you!

I did play it for a few days until I realized:

1. There's not much content in the game

2. XP trains are a gamebreakingly effective way to gain experience to the point where leveling up any other way isn't worthwhile, which makes an already repetitive game even more repetitive

Experience is only the beginning of the game - by that point you have 20 fame or so, and to get all 5 stars you require 2000. Also, while XP trains are great for the initial grind, it doesn't help you get gear.

As for content, you're right, there isn't.

1-D_FTW

I remember people really raging about RF:A and how it abandoned everything that made RF:G great. Just watched a couple reviews and I'm not seeing that at all. Purchased.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Since we are at the start of a new page, this references TODAY:

here is a list of stuff from amazon that activate on steam, sales start tomorrow:

Darkness 2 $24.99
Payday: The Heist $4.99
Saint's Row The Third $24.99
Space Marine Warhammer $14.99 + DLC will be on sale too
Red Faction Armageddon $4.99
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War Retribution Complete Pack $19.99

some prices will flip at 3am est/12am pst.

you can find the rest, nonsteam in the Amazon DD Sales thread whenever they get posted up.

Picked up Red Faction: Armageddon. Should be worth $5.

Anyone have any thoughts on the DLC? It's only $1.75, so hard to go wrong price wise, but I'm more interested if it's worth the time.

(edit: ha, just checked... the Game+DLC from Amazon is cheaper than just the DLC from Steam. Still interested in impressions, though)

Deadbeat

Banned
Was blops already on sale from January till now? Because I dont want to use the 50% coupon and then it goes on sale I mean its sooooooo close to the deadline but I want to play blops. I dont want to wait anymore.

Was blops already on sale from January till now? Because I dont want to use the 50% coupon and then it goes on sale I mean its sooooooo close to the deadline but I want to play blops. I dont want to wait anymore.

I've never seen it on sale! Why don't you just wait another 2 or 3 days?

benjipwns

Banned
It was 50% for $29.99 during the Holiday Sale, hasn't been on sale since from what I can tell. But they did drop the normal price from $60 to $40.

Based on how MW/MW2 dropped you probably won't see it for cheaper than your coupon until the next one comes out.

dk_

I know the Amazon DD thread is over there but I figured more people would see this here.

Could US-gaf please buy Payday ($4.99) for me? I'll paypal in advance if you want me to. Please PM me.
(Haven't had good experiences with just adding a US address)
Yeah, I asked the same thing before. Nobody wrote me a pm yet. :-(

I know the Amazon DD thread is over there but I figured more people would see this here.

Could US-gaf please buy Payday ($4.99) for me? I'll paypal in advance if you want me to. Please PM me.
(Haven't had good experiences with just adding a US address)

Yeah, I asked the same thing before. Nobody wrote me a pm yet. :-(

Or just buy it yourselves. Add a made up US address to your account and buy away. I'm Canadian and I've bought a lot of digital games off Amazon doing this.

Bonus points for using a state that doesn't have sales tax (Oregon, for example).

MRORANGE

Or just buy it yourselves. Add a made up US address to your account and buy away. I'm Canadian and I've bought a lot of digital games off Amazon doing this.

Bonus points for using a state that doesn't have sales tax (Oregon, for example).

this doesn't always work for people living outside the US: my american address was fine but my debit card situated in the Uk flagged up by amazon saying it could not be used.

sgossard

this doesn't always work for people living outside the US: my american address was fine but my debit card situated in the Uk flagged up by amazon saying it could not be used.

Exactly MRORANGE. A non-US card won't always work with a US address. You get an email asking you to please prove you actually live in the states.

And thanks for pointing us in the right direction. Will post there and see if I have more luck.

Joakim Sandberg was added to the registry. The person who developed NOITU LOVE.

Edit: The developers of Men of War: Assault Squad had a love letter to Steam:

We at Digitalmindsoft wanted to take a moment and thank you for creating a platform that has completely revitalized the PC gaming market and allows us to deliver exciting content to millions of players. Never before has it been so exciting and rewarding to develop games for the PC. Hit game Men of War: Assault Squad paid for its development costs during pre-order with Steam as the largest contributor! The game continues to sell and generated more than 5 times of its costs, thanks to your ability to promptly update and maintain our game. This dedication has made it possible for us to re-invest into our company, continually support our products and strive to make bigger and better games.

A marketplace can never be free of issues, but through excellent communication and response time, you've managed to find a solution to all our requests and helped us to provide the best possible experience for our players.

Therefore we are extremely excited to see Steam growing, as well as maintain its well-deserved status as a market leader and we look forward to a continued partnership as we launch future titles on your platform.

So in the name of our company and a large part of our player base, thank you so much for your great job!

http://digitalmindsoft.eu/?fi=9883

Exactly MRORANGE. A non-US card won't always work with a US address. You get an email asking you to please prove you actually live in the states.

And thanks for pointing us in the right direction. Will post there and see if I have more luck.

Good to know, sorry guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom