• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

You know, I almost lit the Joe Molotov signal since you're my go-to person for testing potentially horrible games. I didn't realize you'd actually already played it, lol.

I'm thinking I'll pass, though hilariously bad could have its own appeal. $2.50 is nothing, but 15 hours of bad game is something I probably won't get around to.

I love adventure games, but this game hurt me, man. I was really pumped for it too, at one time. :(

Blizzard

Banned
I was almost going to buy Dead Mountaineer. I am craving a good adventure game. What are the best ones on Steam?
I haven't played The Dig or Loom, but they're supposed to be good. I have fond memories of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Solution: Get the pack that has those three (plus one other game in the pack). :)

I think I've heard the Dreamfall/Longest Journey games are good too, but I still haven't played them.

stuminus3

Sinatar told me all DD version came with TAGES, a 3 activation limit.
That's completely retarded. The console versions already run at 1080p @ 60fps. So we get... faster loading times maybe? And a whole shitload of inconvenience. Urgh. Way to completely kill your already somewhat unpopular game, Ubisoft.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

I was tempted at first, but then I remembered how I bailed on Brotherhood about 12 hours in. It was padded with a ton uninteresting sidequests and bar filling that got old fast, but more than anything I'm just tired of the Assassin's Creed formula. The production values are always incredible, but the semi-automatic combat and platforming (outside of the tombs, which rock) bore me to death. It's all about making the player feel like a badass, but we're never given the opportunity to earn that feeling, from the start you're an unstoppable killing machine that can stylishly murder a pack of several guards by pressing a combination of two buttons. It's kinda hard to push through a 20-30 hour slog when the mechanics don't engage me at all.

The stunning visuals and the novel settings were enough to make me enjoy the first two games, but the series needs some major changes before I drop more money on it. So yeah, I think I'll pass on Revelations for now.

1-D_FTW

That's completely retarded. The console versions already run at 1080p @ 60fps. So we get... faster loading times maybe? And a whole shitload of inconvenience. Urgh. Way to completely kill your already somewhat unpopular game, Ubisoft.

Ubi thinks people have 3 games in their Steam library and are willing to risk losing it by borrowing out details to anyone on the internetz. Gotta squash the thieves!

Aselith

Buy the boxed version. It's DRM-free from whar they said.

MRORANGE

Rayman Origins should be up for preorder soon. I wonder if the Steam version will also have Tages?

Sinatar told me all DD version came with TAGES, a 3 activation limit.

That's what Ubisoft said.

Ubi thinks people have 3 games in their Steam library and are willing to risk losing it by borrowing out details to anyone on the internetz. Gotta squash the thieves!

I hope Steam struck a deal with ubi about the drm issue, all the other online stores had rayman up for pre-order ages ago while steam did not.

Buy the boxed version. It's DRM-free from whar they said.

boxed pc gaming? :lol

Aselith

Could someone do me favor and search for Etrian Odyssey 3 OT and post a link here? Stupid second apps doesn't have a search function that I can find.

Tomodachi

I was tempted at first, but then I remembered how I bailed on Brotherhood about 12 hours in. It was padded with a ton uninteresting sidequests and bar filling that got old fast, but more than anything I'm just tired of the Assassin's Creed formula. The production values are always incredible, but the semi-automatic combat and platforming (outside of the tombs, which rock) bore me to death. It's all about making the player feel like a badass, but we're never given the opportunity to earn that feeling, from the start you're an unstoppable killing machine that can stylishly murder a pack of several guards by pressing a combination of two buttons. It's kinda hard to push through a 20-30 hour slog when the mechanics don't engage me at all.

The stunning visuals and the novel settings were enough to make me enjoy the first two games, but the series needs some major changes before I drop more money on it. So yeah, I think I'll pass on Revelations for now.

Exactly my thoughts on the series, which I'm not touching since AC2. I think I'll play Brotherhood and Revelations eventually, especially if AC3 will feature some cool location/historical period, but I will only engage on the main quest, totally not feeling like it's worth doing hours of bars filling, as you put it, since it really grows old after a few hours.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I absolutely adore the Assassin's Creed games (to varying extents), particularly the original. I'd say AC1 ~/faintly > AC2 = AC:B > AC:R.

Edit: Fixed the rankings.

Renegade Ops is great, but it has one of the most stupid problems ever.

After like 20 minutes of playing the game, the screen went black because I lost signal. So I searched for a solution and the thing is the game doesn't prevent your computer from going to sleep. I just turned off the sleep option on my PC and problem solved.

What the fuck.

camerooni

Neo Member
The Next Big Thing, Runaway series, Monkey Game 1 and 2, Machinarium, Gemini Rue. There's also a LucasArts pack with both Indiana Jones games, Loom, and The Dig.

I'd like to add Lost Horizon to this list .. surprisingly good fun =) Good production values as well.. Indiana Jones vibe with the Nazi's and travelling all over the place.

Though the main character's voice is awfully familiar and reminds me of a completely different style of character in a completely style of game and it kept hitting me for six.

It is also hilarious how the painted box art, and main title graphics look nothing like the in-game characters (particularly the hair lol).. it's like the 3d artist and the 2d artist never compared notes ;)

swoon

The Next Big Thing, Runaway series, Monkey Game 1 and 2, Machinarium, Gemini Rue. There's also a LucasArts pack with both Indiana Jones games, Loom, and The Dig.

how is next big thing?

i thought the first two runaway games were okay - but got kinda of pixel hunt-y...

mannerbot

I'd like to add Lost Horizon to this list .. surprisingly good fun =) Good production values as well.. Indiana Jones vibe with the Nazi's and travelling all over the place.

Though the main character's voice is awfully familiar and reminds me of a completely different style of character in a completely style of game and it kept hitting me for six.

It is also hilarious how the painted box art, and main title graphics look nothing like the in-game characters (particularly the hair lol).. it's like the 3d artist and the 2d artist never compared notes ;)

I'm a big fan of the idea of adventure games but unfortunately I am pretty terrible at adventure game logic and get stuck because there happens to be a hidden item I missed or some wacky item combination I would never think to use. Any recommendations for adventure games in the vein of Machinarium or the Ace Attorney series, where the game is kind of solved in segments without backtracking, and the game makes sure that you have everything you need before moving on?

camerooni

Neo Member
Any recommendations for adventure games in the vein of Machinarium or the Ace Attorney series, where the game is kind of solved in segments without backtracking, and the game makes sure that you have everything you need before moving on?

I'm playing the first Broken Sword game for the first time, I think it's the Director's Cut (the version that is on Steam), and I've found no instances of backtracking required as of yet. It's been flowing fairly well, and everything has seemed logical so far (other than using a stray bullet shell to hold up an ornate cross that opens a secret passage - but it was located in the vicinity so wasn't too bad).. There has been some sliding block puzzles that confused the hell out of me but I just have issues with those.

Might be a good option? (Though a bit futher in.. Nico's voice seems to be done by at least three different women and all mixed through with each other :p it's driving me a little bonkers ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom