• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to add Lost Horizon to this list .. surprisingly good fun =) Good production values as well.. Indiana Jones vibe with the Nazi's and travelling all over the place.

Though the main character's voice is awfully familiar and reminds me of a completely different style of character in a completely style of game and it kept hitting me for six.

It is also hilarious how the painted box art, and main title graphics look nothing like the in-game characters (particularly the hair lol).. it's like the 3d artist and the 2d artist never compared notes ;)

I've actually had that since last Summer's sale but have yet to play it. Would like to before Secret Files 3 comes out.

how is next big thing?

i thought the first two runaway games were okay - but got kinda of pixel hunt-y...

I'd rank it behind the first two Runaway games but in front of the third. Puzzles are similar so they may annoy you again.

how is next big thing?

i thought the first two runaway games were okay - but got kinda of pixel hunt-y...

I liked it quite a bit. Most of the puzzles are reasonable (in the context of the game world) and creative. There's a couple of stinkers, but it's much, much improved over the Runaway series. You can also enable options to display hotspots on the screen and/or give hints.

The writing is competent. There's no glaring grammar or spelling mistakes, but the script does have a noticeable written-by-someone-that-likely-speaks-English-as-a-second-language feel to it. In the sense that some of the dialogue seems unnecessarily flowery and formal. Almost like they were trying too hard to be "correct" and overshot "natural".

Quite a good game overall; I'd recommend it.

I liked it quite a bit. Most of the puzzles are reasonable (in the context of the game world) and creative. There's a couple of stinkers, but it's much, much improved over the Runaway series. You can also enable options to display hotspots on the screen and/or give hints.

The writing is competent. There's no glaring grammar or spelling mistakes, but the script does have a noticeable written-by-someone-that-likely-speaks-English-as-a-second-language feel to it. In the sense that some of the dialogue seems unnecessarily flowery and formal. Almost like they were trying too hard to be "correct" and overshot "natural".

Quite a good game overall; I'd recommend it.

That's exactly what I thought where they kept saying things like, "Heyo!" That got irritating fast.

Does anyone want MW2 for £5 via Paypal or gifting me Dear Esther for it?

I got an extra copy via Amazon and I don't feel like trying to dispute it. I figure it's easier and quicker to find someone on GAF :)

Buy Scratches, it needs more love. It's a first-person point and click adventure with incredible atmosphere. A bit of slow burner, but it's great.

+1 on that - do it to support the creator, who is making a new game releasing this year called Asylum; and is also releasing the engine free of charge that he's using to make it.

camerooni

Neo Member
Lost Horizon is the worst adventure game I've ever played. Its only note to fame are its painted backgrounds.

I hope you have only played two or three then.. because while not being the best adventure game in the world it can be a bit of silly fun. Like an action movie.

Turn the 2d talking portraits off and it makes it more bearable to read the dialogue.

epmode

Buy Scratches, it needs more love. It's a first-person point and click adventure with incredible atmosphere. A bit of slow burner, but it's great.
Agreed. You might need a FAQ once or twice for some of the tougher puzzles but it's absolutely worth a playthrough.

First-rate voice acting and sound design. Even the visuals are well-done, so long as you like the idea of Google Maps: Street View: The Horror Adventure Game

eiskaltnz

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask but anyway...

Can someone from the US gift me Assassin's Creed Revelations as it is $45 even at half price here?

I can pay by Pay Pal or other ways.

Forkball

Midweek Madness + 25% off coupon + $3 left over in Steam wallet from like a month ago = Assassin's Creed Revelations for $16. AWWW YEAH.

The_End

Are there any games on Steam like Crimson Skies on the XBOX? I used to love that game, but my XBOX has been dead for a couple of years now. I'm looking for a replacement.

Is DogFighter any good? Anything else that might be a replacement?

Card Boy

Banned
Are there any games on Steam like Crimson Skies on the XBOX? I used to love that game, but my XBOX has been dead for a couple of years now. I'm looking for a replacement.

Is DogFighter any good? Anything else that might be a replacement?

Wings of Prey (and its expansion Wings of Luftwaffe)
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
DCS A-10C Warthog
Take On Helicopters (if you like Helicopters)
Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark
Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
Heroes Over Europe
Blazing Angels® Squadrons of WWII
Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

I can highly recommend Wings of Prey, the game is one of the best looking on PC.

The_End

Wings of Prey (and its expansion Wings of Luftwaffe)
IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
DCS A-10C Warthog
Take On Helicopters (if you like Helicopters)
Digital Combat Simulator: Black Shark
Air Conflicts: Secret Wars
Heroes Over Europe
Blazing Angels® Squadrons of WWII
Combat Wings: Battle of Britain

I can highly recommend Wings of Prey, the game is one of the best looking on PC.

Oh my, so many choices. I like the look of Wings of Prey (plus there's a demo to try). I might go for that. As for the others, I'll take a look at them tomorrow. On the whole, I'm looking more towards the arcade type rather than a realistic simulation. Though I suppose I could get a couple different games and go for different levels of realism.

I see no mention of DogFighter. Is that simply because you have no firsthand knowledge of the game? Or is the game not generally considered to be all that good?

The_End

If you do decide on Wings of Prey, I have a 50% off coupon that is all yours.

Oh thanks, that's very generous of you. I might just take you up on that. I'd like to try the demo first though. I wont be able to do that until tomorrow. I'm already fighting to stay awake as it is.

BTW, the coupons say good through March 1st. I take that to mean that they will be good until 11:59PM on the first. Does everybody else interpret it that way too? Or does that mean that they turn back into pumpkins at 12:01 AM on March 1st?

Edit: I guess it's 10:00 AM PST. Taken from the notice on the steam storefront "This is your last chance to redeem your Holiday coupons. They will expire on Thursday March 1st 10AM PST."

NZNova

Assassin's Creed Revelations 50% off? And my 25% off voucher from the sale still works? Sold! I can finally stop failing to be able to download it with Capsule and get it on a proper digital platform!

ShaneB

Oh thanks, that's very generous of you. I might just take you up on that. I'd like to try the demo first though. I wont be able to do that until tomorrow. I'm already fighting to stay awake as it is.

No problem bud, if you want it, just shoot me a pm or something, or just add me on Steam and take it regardless. lol

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Does Ass Rev have the standard Ubi DRM? I forced myself to finish the second one so if it has the DRM i think i'll skip this one.

Never mind, saw it was free.

Ticket to Ride Online was added to the registry. From what I understand it's a subscription to gain access to 4 titles based on the Ticket to Ride board game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Was The Dream Machine ever added to the registry? It was supposed to release on Steam coincident with the web release of Chapter 3 (end of October 2011).

Ladies and/or gentlemen, should I buy Rage for £15? I'm torn. My primary instinct is no but I'm willing to have my mind turned.

I vote yes. It's the third-best FPS this generation, and while the vehicle sequences/races may not tickle your fancy, the core gameplay is classic id. It also lasts for around 20 hours.

Edit: I'm operating under the assumption that you're in need of something to play. If you have other games that can nibble away at your spare time, then, yes, wait.

Ladies and/or gentlemen, should I buy Rage for £15? I'm torn. My primary instinct is no but I'm willing to have my mind turned.
No. Wait for a Steam sale where it will be cheaper. It's a game you can wait for.

I just bought Dead Mountaineer's Hotel. Might be garbage, but it looks interesting. Worth a punt since it's the daily.

MRORANGE

Always follow the golden Steam rule - If in doubt, don´t buy. You will have enough games to play anyway.

Is that the golden rule? I thought it was "eh, it's only xxx. Another one for the backlog!"

it's pretty simple really:

G8n0f.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Oh, Ubisoft.

I was trying to sign into my Ubi.com account from within Far Cry 2 so I can access the DLC content, however the text forms in the game don't accept symbols.

Also, alt-tabbing out of the game changes the resolution to 1280x800 windowed.

StuBurns

Banned
Hello GAF, hope you're well.

As SimCity 5 will no doubt be incredible, and Origin exclusive, I've just given up and installed it. I've redeemed Alice and Mass Effect 2 fine, but ME1, Crysis and Crysis Warhead won't work, any idea why? Mirror's Edge doesn't even have a code to try.

Lime

As SimCity 5 will no doubt be incredible, and Origin exclusive, I've just given up and installed it. I've redeemed Alice and Mass Effect 2 fine, but ME1, Crysis and Crysis Warhead won't work, any idea why? Mirror's Edge doesn't even have a code to try.

Go here and convert the keys: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

ME1 worked for me with the link, but not my retail copies of Crysis: Warhead and Mirror's Edge.

You have to contact EA support for Mass effect 1. I've seen mixed reports on how quick and painless it is, but I can say just having done it recently it took me like 5mins to do the customer service person was helpful and I got 25% off any Origin purchase for my trouble. I'm not sure I'll ever use the coupon, but the gesture was appreciated.

If anybody needs help buying anything from the U.S. store I can help. Either PM me your steamid or send me a friend request on Steam. Steam user name is Renix and the avatar is the same as here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom