• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Ugh, Steam Cloud is bull :/ How can I make sure all my games save on HDD?

In my experience they still save on to the hard-drive. Steam Cloud just makes a backup online and replaces the file if it isn't found locally.

Hey, congratulations. Now I don't feel bad about trading the copy that I had instead of giving it to you.

Thank you and believe me there's no problem bro, I know and understand that sometimes we want to find what is the best for us, so don't feel bad bro, also you said clearly "If I don't find any good offer, I'll give it to Leon Belmont" so you found a good offer and I'm happy for that :D

Baha

3g2j5.jpg

Kabouter

The Guild 2 is a good game, good time this to pick up the Renaissance standalone expansion.

As for what it is, Sims meets Fable, not really. I would say at its core it's a business simulation, you advance your business ventures and with the wealth you gain from that you can try to gain influence and political power. I would say it's a bit like the Patrician games except smaller scale, more focused on the production side than the trade side and with more RPG elements. It's pretty fun to develop your businesses in such a way and to mess with competitors through both legal and illegal means. I will warn anyone though that it's not without flaws, it's got a certain degree of Eurojank to it. If you're used to that, it'll be fine, if you're not, you should probably skip it.

PaulLFC

The Guild 2 is a good game, good time this to pick up the Renaissance standalone expansion.

As for what it is, Sims meets Fable, not really. I would say at its core it's a business simulation, you advance your business ventures and with the wealth you gain from that you can try to gain influence and political power. I would say it's a bit like the Patrician games except smaller scale, more focused on the production side than the trade side and with more RPG elements. It's pretty fun to develop your businesses in such a way and to mess with competitors through both legal and illegal means. I will warn anyone though that it's not without flaws, it's got a certain degree of Eurojank to it. If you're used to that, it'll be fine, if you're not, you should probably skip it.
That sounds quite good actually. For someone who's never played it, would you recommend just the first game, or get the complete pack while that's on sale as well?

Kabouter

Wait, is there a point buying the first game when one can buy Renaissance?

There doesn't seem to be, Renaissance is stand-alone, and given the improvements they list (certainly in terms of AI, improvements are welcome), I don't see any reason to ever boot up the original again. Seems to be a situation akin to X3, where Terran Conflict makes it unnecessary to own the original X3.

camerooni

Neo Member
There doesn't seem to be, Renaissance is stand-alone, and given the improvements they list (certainly in terms of AI, improvements are welcome), I don't see any reason to ever boot up the original again. Seems to be a situation akin to X3, where Terran Conflict makes it unnecessary to own the original X3.

Renaissance is the best if you're just looking for one. It has all the features of the earlier games (and more). But.. each of the games has different campaign's - world areas and what not. Each game has a different one in fact, so if you're into that - that's the only difference.

Dambrosi

Banned
Wait, is there a point buying the first game when one can buy Renaissance?

True story, I bought Renaissance for him in exchange for a Renegade Ops key. Thanks, Ookami-kun.

...except that I didn't know beforehand that RO was among the handful of PC games that doesn't work in Windows XP. :p

Oh well, time to upgrade, I guess. Anyone know where I can get a cheap Win 7 Pro/Ulti Edition? Gotta have that XP compatibility!

goober

True story, I bought Renaissance for him in exchange for a Renegade Ops key. Thanks, Ookami-kun.

...except that I didn't know beforehand that RO was among the handful of PC games that doesn't work in Windows XP. :p

Oh well, time to upgrade, I guess. Anyone know where I can get a cheap Win 7 Pro/Ulti Edition? Gotta have that XP compatibility!

If you're a student in the States, I believe you can get Windows 7 for free or at a crazy discounted price.

I don't know if it's Pro/Ultimate though.

Dambrosi

Banned
If you're a student in the States, I believe you can get Windows 7 for free or at a crazy discounted price.

I don't know if it's Pro/Ultimate though.

Unfortunately, I'm in the UK, and most certainly not a student :p

Is there really no legal way to get Win7 for cheaper than the hundred-odd quid they charge for it?

Relax.MX

After i finished Max Payne and wait 2 weeks (to digest the "change" of character) i start the second one..really really enjoy these 2 games, great action, atmosphere with soul, with appropriate difficulty (although the first part suffers from significant peaks in my point of view) plus perhaps a system of at least 2 checkpoints by chapter

Simply both games dont feel old...are two really fun games....(you listen this Id? with your boring Rage?)

I still like more the history of Max Payne of the first part(maybe for impact) and i love the char of the first game :)...but well the second part is better in overall...

Blizzard

Banned
I'm more curious about how Valve let it on Steam, considering how tough I've heard it is for some indie people to get on there, lol.

Maybe it'll require Windows 8 and a tablet interface to work. :p

Nabs

I'm more curious about how Valve let it on Steam, considering how tough I've heard it is for some indie people to get on there, lol.

Maybe it'll require Windows 8 and a tablet interface to work. :p
THQ.

It's easier to get on Steam if:

-You're a big publisher like THQ
-You've published something on Steam before
-IGF

Lots and lots of tablet ports are coming to Steam btw.

cicero

Renaissance is the best if you're just looking for one. It has all the features of the earlier games (and more). But.. each of the games has different campaign's - world areas and what not. Each game has a different one in fact, so if you're into that - that's the only difference.
If not for the great feedback, I never would have known about an updated The Guild II: Renaissance and would have simply dismissed the sale due to the multitude of criticism I had previously heard about the many unfixed bugs in the original game. Thank you!

VALKYRAY

Banned
I just bought Far Cry 1 and all I got is a black screen on start. Please help me!
Windows 7 Home x64
i7-2620m
nVidia Quadro 1000M / intel HD graphics

cicero

The new WWE Wrestlefest is now in the Coming Soon list: http://store.steampowered.com/app/201550/

So we get games like WWE WrestleFest and Dino D-Day but yet they rejected Unity of Command, Din's Curse, and Noitu Love 2?? But at one point Evochron Mercenary, Space Pirates and Zombies, and Gemini Rue were also rejected for some time before they were eventually added... The Steam submission process seems really flawed or broken.

I really want a Steam version of Unity of Command and Din's Curse. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dino D-Day..... really?

I was gonna make a crack about having to be high to group that with the WWE game, but then it occurred to me that Dino D-Day would be even more awesome while high.

lfvgt

Neo Member
So we get games like WWE WrestleFest and Dino D-Day but yet they rejected Unity of Command, Din's Curse, and Noitu Love 2?? But at one point Evochron Mercenary, Space Pirates and Zombies, and Gemini Rue were also rejected for some time before they were eventually added... The Steam submission process seems really flawed or broken.

I really want a Steam version of Unity of Command and Din's Curse. :(

It's actually easy to explain this: each game submitted to Steam is reviewed by one person on their (review) team. While one guy may think a game is terrible, another one may think it's good enough. Valve employees don't really have bosses, so it's a mess like that.

So yes, it's extremely flawed, much like Steam Support.

oipic

So we get games like WWE WrestleFest and Dino D-Day but yet they rejected Unity of Command

I don't know the story behind this, but it must be something technical like it not playing nice with the overlay...or something (I'm grasping at straws), because UoC is quality, yeah?

It's the perfect gateway drug to war gaming, but sorely needs a demo to have a chance of drawing in those new to the genre.

Might be a little relatively expensive at its current $30 in the Steam environment, too, but the boost in sales and profile would surely accommodate a lower price anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom