• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Hello GAF, hope you're well.

As SimCity 5 will no doubt be incredible, and Origin exclusive, I've just given up and installed it. I've redeemed Alice and Mass Effect 2 fine, but ME1, Crysis and Crysis Warhead won't work, any idea why? Mirror's Edge doesn't even have a code to try.

You expected all of your keys to just work?

Ahahahahahaahha.

StuBurns

Banned
Go here and convert the keys: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

ME1 worked for me with the link, but not my retail copies of Crysis: Warhead and Mirror's Edge.
Thanks, it registered it fine, but it hasn't been added to Origin or anything, or given me a link to it. I hate Origin already.

EDIT: I just found a 'My Games' page on the EA site, and it doesn't have Mass Effect, or the games already working on Origin on it, but it does have Mirror's Edge listed. What a crock of shit this service is.

ShaneB

Thanks, it registered it fine, but it hasn't been added to Origin or anything, or given me a link to it. I hate Origin already.

EDIT: I just found a 'My Games' page on the EA site, and it doesn't have Mass Effect, or the games already working on Origin on it, but it does have Mirror's Edge listed. What a crock of shit this service is.

To get Mass Effect 1 on your games list you have to contact customer support and just tell them your key and they'll add it.

I did it not long after buying the games on Amazon and it didn't take long at all for them to reply.

Go here https://help.ea.com/ and the talk to a game advisor link.

StuBurns

Banned
To get Mass Effect 1 on your games list you have to contact customer support and just tell them your key and they'll add it.

I did it not long after buying the games on Amazon and it didn't take long at all for them to reply.

Go here https://help.ea.com/ and the talk to a game advisor link.
I sent an email before you edited that link, but thanks, hopefully they'll sort me out. I've asked them to sort out the Cryses too. It's still in Beta, so I give it a little leeway, but Origin is really messy right now.

StuBurns

Banned
No it isn't, they just changed the name for EA Download Manager, tacked on a friends list and reskinned it. Those key problems you had? They have been there for *years.*
It says Beta on it, I used Download Manager, it's nothing like it. It's succeeded it, sure, but it's still a relatively new service. It took a long time for Steam to get slick too. Part of me thinks because it's EA, and Valve have already done it, they have no excuse to come out late and not at least match it in quality, but there are always going to be issues launching a large new infrastructure like Origin. If it's still a mess in a year, fair enough, but I think it's acceptable at the moment.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It says Beta on it, I used Download Manager, it's nothing like it. It's succeeded it, sure, but it's still a relatively new service. It took a long time for Steam to get slick too. Part of me thinks because it's EA, and Valve have already done it, they have no excuse to come out late and not at least match it in quality, but there are always going to be issues launching a large new infrastructure like Origin. If it's still a mess in a year, fair enough, but I think it's acceptable at the moment.

I used the EA download manager too. Origin is nearly identical to what Download manager was (excluding the new skin and the friend list). How information is presented to you, and more importantly, how things are handled on the backend, are the same.

What Stallion is getting at is that the problems you are having are not "beta growing pains." They are problems inherent to the infrastructure EA created - infrastructure that has not significantly changed since its inception. Can that change? Absolutely. But it would have nothing to do with it being in beta or coming out of beta.

StuBurns

Banned
I used the EA download manager too. Origin is nearly identical to what Download manager was (excluding the new skin and the friend list). How information is presented to you, and more importantly, how things are handled on the backend, are the same.

What Stallion is getting at is that the problems you are having are not "beta growing pains." They are problems inherent to the infrastructure EA created - infrastructure that has not significantly changed since its inception. Can that change? Absolutely. But it would have nothing to do with it being in beta or coming out of beta.
By it's nature the issues I had are less important as time goes on. Even if they are never fixed, they will be of less of a concern as those games get older, and more EA games are exclusive. I don't know about new content, I haven't bought anything yet, but I would imagine the majority of people don't care if they can register their games on Origin if they already have them on Steam, it'll happen even less once no new EA games are on Steam.

I'd like all my EA games to be on Origin, but it's not exactly going to make any real difference to me personally. I think it's bad it doesn't work perfectly, but I also don't think it's a really big deal. What is bad about Origin is UI things, searching and sorting of content, the kind of thing I absolutely believe will be rectified.

EDIT: The worst thing so far is having to agree to three separate pages of Terms and Conditions to download a game, that is disgusting.

Since I posted yesterday I wanted to swap MW2 for Dear Esther I've had four people try to scam me on Steam. "no u give first lolol"

This thread must have some twat lurkers!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Imagine Heavy Rain, only exponentially worse, wrapped up in a Jurassic Park aesthetic that is poorly brought to life by Telltale's dated engine. This, GAF, is Jurassic Park: The Game.

I hate Valve for making me buy it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Kinda sucks that their Anno isn't Steam =/

I wonder if the key works in Steam though...

Also, why are the prices in USD when in the list, but becomes euros when in basket?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also wait, how come I'm being asked for my delivery address when they can simply send digital versions/downloads of the game?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Imagine Heavy Rain, only exponentially worse, wrapped up in a Jurassic Park aesthetic that is poorly brought to life by Telltale's dated engine. This, GAF, is Jurassic Park: The Game.

I hate Valve for making me buy it.
Does it come bundled with a character unlock code for Samuel L Jackson's Hand in Poker Night?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Fuck yeah, I've been waiting for that stupid Jurassic Park game to hit a price where I won't feel any buyer's remorse. $10 sounds right. Bought.

StuBurns

Banned
If anyone wants 50% off Payday, let me know.

EDIT: EA sorted out Crysis and Mass Effect, still no Crysis Warhead, but alas, it's on Steam anyway.

Sober

Uhh... I got a popup from Steam saying Payday was going to be the free weekend. Anything? It's 20$ right now, I really doubt they will match Amazon and make it 5$ either will they?

goober

Uhh... I got a popup from Steam saying Payday was going to be the free weekend. Anything? It's 20$ right now, I really doubt they will match Amazon and make it 5$ either will they?
Payday had a free weekend in November I believe. It was ten dollars then.

Someone convince me to not use this Aliens vs Predators coupon just for the sake of using it.

I guess what I'm asking is whether the game is worth 5 bucks or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom