• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicero

I still suggest you get Torment on GOG. The soundtrack's well worth not having it on Steam.

If you get it on GOG you also get the bonus Chris Avellone Planescape: Torment novel. "This novel has been composed from text copied from the computer game Planescape: Torment by Black Isle Studios. It was turned into a novel by Rhyss Hess, and typeset by Lucian Wischik. (There is a separate novel called just “Torment”, based on the plot and characters of the computer game, and written by Ray and Valerie Vallesse)." This copied text version is the superior version, by far.

Sianos

I'll definitely pick up Rayman when the summer sale hits. Too big of a backlog now, might as well wait for the sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
I don't have any sort of fanboy ties to Steam or anything, I just greatly prefer to have all my games localized within a single account. I would have got around to buying it on GoG had I cleared my backlog at some point.
I understand the sentiment, and I would be right there with you on most cases, but buying old games anywhere else than GOG just isn't worth it. You end up missing out on concept art and other artwork, soundtracks, the original scanned manuals, playing with no DRM whatsoever and other goodies. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars than buying anywhere other than Steam, but GOG's extra content is really amazing.

If you get it on GOG you also get the bonus Chris Avellone Planescape: Torment novel. "This novel has been composed from text copied from the computer game Planescape: Torment by Black Isle Studios. It was turned into a novel by Rhyss Hess, and typeset by Lucian Wischik. (There is a separate novel called just “Torment”, based on the plot and characters of the computer game, and written by Ray and Valerie Vallesse)." This copied text version is the superior version, by far.
There's also this. Chris Avellone stuff!

Sanic

Can anyone recommend any good Gary's mod servers? Any kind will do. I've had the game forever but i've never really gotten into it.

I'm available for 3 more hours if anybody need help buying the Assassins Creed daily through the US store. Just drop me a pm.

Is it actually cheaper through the U.S. store? When I first looked I could have sworn it was $15 US and now it says $25.

Why can't I delete this Rayman Origins thing from my library? It didn't ask for it or install it, so why is it in my library list. WTH steam.

jediyoshi

I'm available for 3 more hours if anybody need help buying the Assassins Creed daily through the US store. Just drop me a pm.

Is it actually cheaper through the U.S. store? When I first looked I could have sworn it was $15 US and now it says $25.
It's just been $25. Probably saw £14.99

Goody

Planescape Torment, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, and The Temple of Elemental Evil was added to the registry.

Edit: Beaten.

Edit 2: Well, Joakim Sandberg entry was updated and it seems like two titles will be available from him. I'm guessing The Iconoclasts and NOITU LOVE 2 will be available.

Oh, man, that is absolutely great. I've never played any of those D&D games and have been dying to since I got a gaming PC.

And to see two titles from konjak is great. I really hope The Iconoclasts is coming along well.

epmode

Why can't I delete this Rayman Origins thing from my library? It didn't ask for it or install it, so why is it in my library list. WTH steam.
This was probably a mistake when the game was added to the client. I'd be surprised if it wasn't fixed in a few days.

I'm a little surprised to see so many people admitting to not having played these games. GOG is on par with Steam as far as I'm concerned (and it's probably better when it comes to old stuff). Bought them all day one.

Yeah, I hope that Rayman Origins pushed onto my games list was a glitch. No knock against the game--I'm working through it on my Vita--but I'd hate to see Steam force games onto my computer for promo reasons.

epmode

Yeah, I hope that Rayman Origins pushed onto my games list was a glitch. No knock against the game--I'm working through it on my Vita--but I'd hate to see Steam force games onto my computer for promo reasons.
Even though it's appearing in your installed game list, it's almost certainly not installed*. Check your steamapps/common folder for confirmation.

*unless you tried to launch it manually after it appeared in the list

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Even though it's appearing in your installed game list, it's almost certainly not installed. Check your steamapps/common folder for confirmation.

Even easier, just try to run it - you'll get a subscription error.

Some guy from Russia who randomly added me to his Steam friend list quite a while ago traded me a 50% off Bethesda Games coupon for my 50% off Valve Games coupon. God bless that guy.

It didn't even cross my mind that scamming was possible given the way Steam's trading system works.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
I understand the sentiment, and I would be right there with you on most cases, but buying old games anywhere else than GOG just isn't worth it. You end up missing out on concept art and other artwork, soundtracks, the original scanned manuals, playing with no DRM whatsoever and other goodies. I'd rather spend a few extra dollars than buying anywhere other than Steam, but GOG's extra content is really amazing.

This is so true. I'll still double dip on them when they come to steam. I bought them on sale at gog and got all the content if i want to go back and look at it. Now i can have them on steam as well where all my other games are.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Just finished the first chapter (1 of 4) of Jurassic Park: The Game....I kind of enjoyed that, what the hell is wrong with me? I can definitely see why it got slammed by critics, it's QTE crazy like Heavy Rain, but it's unlike Heavy Rain, it's entirely linear without any real choices or branching paths. There are investigation sections that require a tiny amount of brain function, but overall it's mindless and super easy, which I imagine can bore a lot of people. The animation is robotic, making action scenes more comical than suspenseful. It just seems cheap in general, but for some strange reason I can't put it down.

It's probably the fan service more than anything. It takes place during the events of the first movie so there are some cool crossover moments (like investigating the scene of Nedry's death) and you visit some familiar locations from the movies, like the Visitor's Center where the T-Rex wrecks shit. I'm excited to see where it'll take me next. It helps that I went in with low expectations, but I'm feeling pretty good about the $10 I spent.

Anyways, took a few shots:

dd759d69b28b3e5cfabe2f18be2c4f97a7bbf477.jpg

e51b36bc9fb910c1c83903e07d3f79766bc09ec0.jpg

3b4d474614a9cb4de518526cf288645a3f3a09c5.jpg

(lol)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I really want to play Half-Life. I even started a new game just minutes ago, but my willpower reserves kicked in and I managed to quit before finishing the opening tram sequence.

Forgot the Steam coupons were up this soon. Will not be using them so if anyone that wants 'em PMs me they're all yours; I'll list the ones that someone might conceivably want below.

66% - Two Worlds II
50% - Red Faction: Armageddon
50% - Cthulhu Saves the World / Breath of Death VII
50% - Hacker Evolution
33% - Warner
33% - THQ

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I really want to play Half-Life. I even started a new game just minutes ago, but my willpower reserves kicked in and I managed to quit before finishing the opening tram sequence.

Source over vanilla though? ;p

Island

Man, I go to the NeoGAF group and look at what everyone is playing. Over half are playing DOTA 2. How depressing is that... I want to play :(

(This is not a stealth key beg)

Rapstah

I guess Valve's coupon strategy worked because I bought STALKER and I would never have without that 25% coupon. Looking in my library now I see STALKER: Clear Sky, so I didn't even know what the hell I was buying. Was there ever any clarity in how the coupons were funded? Is the percentage taken out of Valve's share of the price?

zkylon

zkylewd
Go, make some coffee, have a few sips, think about your future and then go back to the computer. The security guard at the facility entrance should be patiently waiting for you.

Seriously, though, I haven't tried this, but I get the feeling that "Anomalous Materials" starts right after you get off the tram: http://www.nicouzouf.com/en/?id=halflife

daviyoung

Banned
Go, make some coffee, have a few sips, think about your future and then go back to the computer. The security guard at the facility entrance should be patiently waiting for you.

Seriously, though, I haven't tried this, but I get the feeling that "Anomalous Materials" starts right after you get off the tram: http://www.nicouzouf.com/en/?id=halflife

Half Life: Source lets you skip chapters right off the bat. JaseC should skip straight to Xen.

Crub

How much does Rayman 2 on PC differ from the N64 and DC version?

I played through most of Rayman 2 on 64, but never beat it. Would love to revisit it on PC, but I want it to be exactly the game I remember.

SparkTR

I played through most of Rayman 2 on 64, but never beat it. Would love to revisit it on PC, but I want it to be exactly the game I remember.

It's the same, but looks much better.

MRORANGE

pretty much identical, rayman 2 on pc offers better graphics though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom