• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pass then. Maybe I'll pick up a used copy for 360 next time I'm at gamestop just to give it a try. If I like it, I'll pick up SR3 on Steam when it gets a bit cheaper.
Seems like the wise choice. The game's definitively worth your time.

A mate is looking at getting F1 2011. Is the retail version able to be linked into a Steam account?

Also, how intrusive is the GFWL on it?
According to this, no: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

And GFWL is very annoying the first time you install the game, but after that, I don't find it too bothersome. I can't comment for the malware/spyware accusation thingies, though...

Seems like the wise choice. The game's definitively worth your time.

According to this, no: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

And GFWL is very annoying the first time you install the game, but after that, I don't find it too bothersome. I can't comment for the malware/spyware accusation thingies, though...

Thanks, always forget that list of Steam linked games exists! Hmm, not sure what he'll do, perhaps wait for a sale?

Nothing too bad. I just remember in Dirt 2 it really irked both of us. Some games it seems to just sit in the background, others it is right in your face.

Going to download Payday tomorrow, looks good!

Hellix

Of course SR3 goes on sale when my damn THQ coupon expires.
Good thing I jumped on buying it for $15 from someone else.

Zimbardo

holy fuck Saints Row 2 is bad.

i heard so much about the pc port running like shit, etc, that i had to see it for myself.

its worse than i was expecting.

the worst pc port i've ever seen. runs like shit and looks like shit even on the highest settings.

filipe

Is SR2 worth buying now that 3 is out? I don't mind at all paying for SR3, but even at $3.75, I still rather not spend it if there's no point. But if it's worth it, I'd get it over 3 and just wait for a permanent price drop on 3.

So can it be said yet that 3rd parties using GFWL is dead?

Not completely. But it must be depressing working in those GFWL offices.

i heard so much about the pc port running like shit, etc, that i had to see it for myself.

the worst pc port i've ever seen. runs like shit and looks like shit even on the highest settings.

Wouldnt surprise me at all if it still wont run on top of the line PC's. Worst port ever.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey, my mate can't download the payday weekend, the shop icon takes him straight to the game to purchase, not start the download, anyone know what's wrong?

JustinBB7

Always worked fine for me. It's a bad port but I dunno why people hate it THAT much. The only thing that bothered me was the menu that didn't have a mouse and gamespy. Besides that it ran fine for me and my friend.

ShaneB

Eventual huge Amazon.com promotional price drop confirmed!

If I was involved in any of sort of digital distrubition service of pc games, I'd be begging developers to use Steamworks. Knowing it drives sales exponentially when a game registers on Steam is obviously a big bullet point.

Zimbardo

Always worked fine for me. It's a bad port but I dunno why people hate it THAT much. The only thing that bothered me was the menu that didn't have a mouse and gamespy. Besides that it ran fine for me and my friend.

it was absolutely dreadful for me.

i installed the Gentlemen of the Row mod, tho, and the game went from being an abomination into something that seems half decent.

http://idolninja.com/sr2.php

100% better and highly recommended from what i've seen so far.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
will sr2 be bad on my oc?

gtx 580
8 gb ram

No it'll run totally fine on that. As long as you have a quadcore CPU you'll be fine. It's really CPU heavy.

I ran it on a C2Q 2.4 with 3 GB of RAM and a Geforce GTS250 back in the day and it ran fine.

JustinBB7

Just having a quadcore will do it yea. Besides the menu/gamespy problems the only other bugs I had just made the game funnier really.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, would an i5 2500K at 4.8GHz be able to brute force SR2 for a locked 30fps at least?

Again yes. Keep in mind that much of the talk about how bad the SR2 port performs is from like 3 years ago when the average machine was much weaker.

Card Boy

Banned
If i uninstall Batman AA GOTY will i lose an activation? Or does it regenerate like 4 activations a month?

I'm really struggling to find a revoke tool for it, keep in mind it doesn't have a Steam revoke tool like regular Batman AA did. My policy with GFWL titles has always been buy at 75% off for this very reason.

edit: I think i worked it out.

Gav47

Dude it worked!

aBZy9.png

Great work Steve, can you get started on a release date for HL3 and after that I'm gonna need you to get to work on making EA drop Origin. Thanks

Zimbardo

Again yes. Keep in mind that much of the talk about how bad the SR2 port performs is from like 3 years ago when the average machine was much weaker.

@ 1080p and high detail it ran and looked like dog shit on my pc (i5 760 @ 3.8ghz, 8gig ram, 2 gtx560 in SLI).

that Gentlemen of the Row mod helped a lot tho from the looks of things.

JustinBB7

@ 1080p and high detail it ran and looked like dog shit on my pc (i5 760 @ 3.8ghz, 8gig ram, 2 gtx560 in SLI).

that Gentlemen of the Row mod helped a lot tho from the looks of things.

Might be the SLI that is the problem there. Read that about a lot of games where SLI just makes it worse, SR2 could be one of them.

Also,

I don't have it or want to have it, but Dragon Age 2 just got a big update on Steam haha.

JustinBB7

Why does Valve want to know all the software people have installed? Seems a bit personal

So they can make Steam work better with those programs and so they can see what people like to use and how.

You don't have to give them that info, it's optional.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I don't mean to be rude, but where did this post come from? Are you talking about something specific?
Sorry, I just got the hardware survey and noticed it. Never saw software listed before

So they can make Steam work better with those programs and so they can see what people like to use and how.

You don't have to give them that info, it's optional.
Yeah of course, was just curious. Also they should change the name to "hardware and software survey" (unless they did and I missed it, but don't think they mention software anywhere before the list of info that's about to be sent). What other programs does Steam work with?

Blizzard

Banned
Sorry, I just got the hardware survey and noticed it. Never saw software listed before

Yeah of course, was just curious. Also they should change the name to "hardware and software survey" (unless they did and I missed it, but don't think they mention software anywhere before the list of info that's about to be sent). What other programs does Steam work with?
Ah okay, I thought you might mean the thing that searched for external programs if you use the option to add external programs for Steam. It's good to know that the hardware survey searches for software too...I don't think I've ever opted into it.

JustinBB7

Well Steam doesn't work directly with other programs, I think it's mostly Anti-Virus programs that can sometimes mess up games or even Steam by scanning things and whatnot. Or like CCleaner would delete important Steam files a while ago. If a lot of people use those programs that's good for Valve to know so they can make support pages have more information on what's wrong etc.

Also just having that info can help them in many other ways only they can think of most likely.

Nabs

How come steam says no 3rd party drm for rayman. Kind of strange they never do that for the many other games with no drm.

Sounds like UBI wanted to make a point of it. People still think Super Street Fighter 4 AE has extra DRM because of the pre-release shitstorm.

camerooni

Neo Member
Two Worlds II Collection (Called 'Velvet Edition') is up on Steam and listed in the specials section, but not listed in new releases. Has a release date of the 2nd which could be why - it's the 2nd here (AUS), but not in Valve-land.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13656/

Ooh and it's 50% off, birthday present for myself - cheaper for the pack than the game on it's own =)

epmode

Sounds like UBI wanted to make a point of it. People still think Super Street Fighter 4 AE has extra DRM because of the pre-release shitstorm.
What kind of DRM is in SSF4AE? I remember the controversy but I didn't know anything had changed.

Nabs

What kind of DRM is in SSF4AE? I remember the controversy but I didn't know anything had changed.

It's just GFWL. Before release, they announced that all characters would only be playable with an online connection. You'd be left with 14 characters if you weren't online.

They killed that shit with the quickness. The Steam version is actually playable without Steam open.

Hellix

Just GFWL. They had planned to lock out characters if you did not have a permanent internet connection, if I recall correctly. They got rid of that I believe.

Also, how is Two Worlds II?

Is any one else having problems with Steam? I couldn't load TF2, I had a lot of problems login to Steam and now Community is down for me :(

Edit: It's up again, let's hope I can actually play this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom