• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjolle

Heh. I think that i already have Crusader kings from some paradox newsletter.

But if I have to get ign prime anyway to watch IPL, then I might be tempted...

Paradox are awesome. If it hadn't been for Steam I'm not sure I'd have ever gave their games a chance. But that Paradox Pack in the Winter Sale of 2010... oh yeah baby.

I've just found this! :D

cad-20120305-20729.png

So whats the appeal of hats in TF2?

I still dont really get it. I played the Game since the Orange Box was released, but honestly right now when I enter a server I see a lot of talk going on about "hats".

What is the appeal of a virtual hat for TF2?

theRizzle

Oh my god. A limited edition Steam Box designed like a companion cube would sell through the roof for them. I personally wouldn't buy one, but I bet a ton of people would.

MRORANGE

I still dont really get it. I played the Game since the Orange Box was released, but honestly right now when I enter a server I see a lot of talk going on about "hats".

there fun to wear? but in all seriousness, hat's are just a novelty item but are valuable even costing up to hundreds of dollars due to there rarity.

dR5tk.jpg

Oh my god. A limited edition Steam Box designed like a companion cube would sell through the roof for them. I personally wouldn't buy one, but I bet a ton of people would.

one could could simply gut a atx/gamecube case and put a mini itx board and make it look like a companion cube.

MNC

Exclusivity.

HoosTrax

The TF2 hats are literally worth real world money, depending on rarity. The more uncommon ones, like the ones you get from pre-ordering games on Steam, are particularly sought after. They're traded for gift copies of games, other TF2 items, or "keys" which are used to open crates in-game (which have a 1% chance of producing the rarest items in the game, among more common stuff). The keys cost $2.50 from the micro-transaction shop, and some hats are deemed as being worth 10 keys or more.

Beyond the economics, they function as a status symbol in-game in the same way designer clothes or luxury cars function irl. More so because of the kill-cam where opponents see a still shot of your character after you kill them.

In addition to the hats, there are special versions of some weapons which have an internal kill counter. These are also sought after and traded for because the kill counter is publicly visible, including during kill-cam shots.

MRORANGE

One could also just build a PC instead of buying a Steam Box, but that product is not for those people.

I'm fine with people buying custom pc's, but a companion cube pc would just look garish and I would rather spend time doing a diy project would be more effective than spending a lot on a niche fan product based off some game.

again to reiterate; I don't mind people buying pre-built systems.

oh a gamecube itx pc:

MKcXz.jpg

if the steam box was similar in design I would love it to bits.

The_End

EA still knows where the money is.

Edit: Why didn't y'all tell me sims 3 was on sale! I might jump on it for 10 bucks...

2nd edit: not on the specials tab yet, probably midweek madness sale I guess in a couple minutes.

Nice find. I'll probably pick up a few expansion packs while they're on sale.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I must say, Sims 3 + all DLC in that price is a grab!

With that said, it's still cheaper buying locally here lol

So the only unique thing in the Katie Perry edition is the unique Sim as well as an object?

Simmer down. They already had Sims 3 on the service prior to the breakup. The fact that they didn t leave those customers hung out to dry is commendable. They could have.

It is commendable. It really is. Although I suppose they could redeem all that on origin.

Also something something mass effect 1 and 2 something something 3 something expansions something something sequels something.

Edit: man the steam store is awesome. So easy to buy :(

Lothars

It's just the Sims 3 for 10 bucks, the rest of the DLC is 66% off and just checking a majority of the packs excluding a couple it's over 70 dollars for the dlc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, with that said it's still a good price.

However, retail here (which means the game would be added to Origin) has it cheaper for some odd reason.

The_End

Hey guys, this is important, I hope that someone could help me, if I pre order a game from THQ Store, in this case the Darksiders II Collector's Edition, they will charge my cc right now or when the goods are delivered? Thank you

Never bought directly from the THQ store, but usually online store don't charge you until your order ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom