• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mass Effect 1 drops to like 5$ every time it's on sale. The DLC is kinda a waste of 5$ since it's just basic combat scenarios. Bring Down The Sky (the good piece of DLC) comes free with each copy of the game. But you only get 5 activations lololololol.

Does anyone tried to register Mass Effect 1 from Steam on Origin? Will it also come with BdtS, or do I need to download this myself each time I install ME1?

Megasoum

Banned
you do not get a key with steam, you need to contact Origin support for them to add Mass Effect 1 to Origin.

So either way you have to go through the Bioware website to get the Bring Down the Sky DLC? I'm looking at the steam forum thread about that and it looks like a real clusterfuck...

Also, Bring Down The Sky has activation limits - I know because back in December I tried installing it on my retail ME while using the Bioware forums for guidance. You can not buy it anywhere (as it was free at the time it was released) and there's only ONE SINGLE copy of it online (because the old website you used to download it from, does not work anymore).

This ONE SINGLE copy, means you will download it, but you may NOT be able to install it as other people may have used the activation code beforehand (the activation limit I was talking about).

Which means that you'll have to contact the EA chat support, ask them to give you a key for it, and after 10 minutes they'll give you the exact same key you found online and used earlier as well (which is supposed to be a universal one) but meanwhile the support will cancel the activation limit and the key will finally work.

Afterwards my ME was added to my Origin library too (although the retail cd-key was not recognised whenever I tried it myself, go figure), but I haven't tried installing the game from Origin to see if it installs the expansion as well.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone tried to register Mass Effect 1 from Steam on Origin? Will it also come with BdtS, or do I need to download this myself each time I install ME1?

You need to go through some stupid 8 step process with Origin support that involves making a Pogo account for some reason.

Then you have to hope all of the pages EA sends you to are loading. It took me 3 days to finally get my ME1 key from Amazon onto Origin.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
what's the ETA on humble bundles getting added to going on sale?

We don't really have enough data points to consistently guess it. It typically goes up within a week of it being discovered in the Steam registry. It could go up as early as tomorrow too, though.

You need to go through some stupid 8 step process with Origin support that involves making a Pogo account for some reason.

Then you have to hope all of the pages EA sends you to are loading. It took me 3 days to finally get my ME1 key from Amazon onto Origin.

I didn't have to go through that. I just entered the steam serial key into an EA serial redeem website and it worked; it did not work through Origin for some reason. It was the same way with a few other EA games.

only games that didn't register is Bulletstorm

allansm

New Indie Royale up for pre order. The games are:

- Explosive first-person shooter with a future-leaning setting, available on Windows as a Steam key, Desura key and DRM-free download.
- Jaunty Windows and Mac adventure game, available on Steam, DRM-free, and on Desura, arrr.
- Brainy Steam-enabled Windows and Mac title dispensing real-time strategy action.
- An Indie Royale exclusive Windows/Mac debut (DRM-free and Desura) for an acclaimed satirical platformer, plus a bonus – a DRM-free Windows RPG overhead shooter from the same creator.

So it seems the first one is either EYE or Hard Reset. The adventure game probably is Jolly Rover and the third most likely is Vertex Dispenser.

- Explosive first-person shooter with a future-leaning setting, available on Windows as a Steam key, Desura key and DRM-free download.
- Jaunty Windows and Mac adventure game, available on Steam, DRM-free, and on Desura, arrr.
- Brainy Steam-enabled Windows and Mac title dispensing real-time strategy action.
- An Indie Royale exclusive Windows/Mac debut (DRM-free and Desura) for an acclaimed satirical platformer, plus a bonus – a DRM-free Windows RPG overhead shooter from the same creator.

So it seems the first one is either EYE or Hard Reset. The adventure game probably is Jolly Rover and the third most likely is Vertex Dispenser.
Noice. Preordered. I seriously hope it's Jolly Rover, I've been waiting to check it out for some time now.

Hard Reset would be too good to be true, it's probably EYE. I got it thanks to Steam trading during the Winter Sale and I haven't even played it, damn...

HoosTrax

Didn't realize that Civ V: GOTY didn't include all DLC up to this point. Think I'll hold out for Civ V: Complete instead. Backlog is big enough as it is and I picked up the two Mafia games already.

VandalD

I'm guessing the 4th is DLC Quest?
Apparently, yes, and the bonus is Lair of the Evildoer.

I haven't heard much about EYE. Kinda hoping it's Hard Reset. Either way, I think DLC Quest and Lair would make this pack worth the price, assuming those are actually in the pack.
Didn't realize that Civ V: GOTY didn't include all DLC up to this point. Think I'll hold out for Civ V: Complete instead.
I'm a little bit surprised that people jumped on Civ V. I'd heard it was far inferior to Civ IV. Guess maybe I heard wrong.

MNC

I'd be so on the bundle if it's Hard Reset. I hope it is.

DSmalls84

Why am I tempted to get Civ 5 when I hated Civ 4?

The first Civ I played was Revolution on 360 and I loved it, but when I tried 4 I thought it was pretty complex and the games took quite a while even on quick turn. I started playing 5 this week and I prefer it because it seems like it's been streamlined quite a bit compared to 4, that and it seems like the games progress faster. I still think Civ 4 is a great game, but my time is at more of a premium now than it was in the past.

allansm

Considering I already own Hard Reset, EYE and Jolly Rover, I won't buy the bundle this time. Vertex Dispenser seems interesting, but I think it's better to buy it on a steam sale as the dev will get more money.

Noice. Preordered. I seriously hope it's Jolly Rover, I've been waiting to check it out for some time now.

Hard Reset would be too good to be true, it's probably EYE. I got it thanks to Steam trading during the Winter Sale and I haven't even played it, damn...

You're not the only one. Guess it's time to start playing EYE. Jolly Rover is a nice game, specially if you like the Monkey Island games.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Civ 5 is easy mode Civ...but dumbed down a ton...it doesn't really feel like its rewarding you when you build a massive empire...nor when you build wonders and receive great people. I mean you hear that old chime and voice...but the affect on the games other nations is mute.

I miss engulfing neighbour states with religion/culture etc

It's Civ revolution and traditional Civ mixed...but with not so pleasing result for traditional Civ players. It's not a bad game and I played for about 10 hours straight lastnight till this morning so its enjoyable in some aspects...

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you're more of Europa Universalis player, stay far away from Civ 5.
Yeah, that's it. If I'm going to do strategy, I'm going to do strategy. Not Risk + Monopoly, which is what I feel about Civ. For little stints like that, I've had way more fun with SRPGs.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I don't see how EYE would work without Steam. I don't think it's part of this bundle.

Yeah, definitely.

By that same token, Hard Reset uses Steam for leaderboards. Easier to patch out, but would they go through the trouble?

zoku88

Yeah, that's it. If I'm going to do strategy, I'm going to do strategy. Not Risk + Monopoly, which is what I feel about Civ. For little stints like that, I've had way more fun with SRPGs.

*shrug*, I like EUIII, Civ IV, and Civ V. They all do different things. Just because someone likes one of them doesn't mean that they wouldn't like the other two.

I wouldn't really call Civ V a "casual" strategy game. I believe there was a demo. You should've just tried it out rather than relying on other people's impressions...

Blizzard

Banned
The Daily is InMomentum for $4.99
Darnit, I -still- haven't finished my giant writeup post that I made for this game. Maybe I will just dump it in the thread tonight.

The short version is that they have kept updating the game, and I admire that -- I think they fixed some things and added some new maps. The game also has an interesting visual style, though I seemed to have some graphical issues on my 5850.

The game is NOT parkour or Mirror's Edge (I am a big Mirror's Edge fan) -- this is the key thing. Instead, it is like occasionally high-speed low-gravity moon jumping/flying between blocks. It's an environment navigation thing that is sometimes frustrating (mainly because I was bad at climbing up ramps) and sometimes awesome (such as when I hit a section with no floor and a bunch of pillars, and realized I could basically fly).

I would say it's worth $5-10 if you like the graphical style. I seem to recall some of the music being pretty cool too, and unless they changed something you should be able to cycle through the tracks as you play if you don't like one particular song.

I did not try the multiplayer, though it seems like it might be interesting.

Does anyone know whether WARP will be available on Steam? It is an EA game coming to Origin tomorrow, but Shank 2 was an EA game too. So, any idea?

If it's an "EA partners" game it should be on Steam. If it were developed by EA themselves then it may not.

Aww, no publisher this week... though I guess it's Tuesday?

Has there been hints at another publisher sale? Seems too soon after this last one.

Dambrosi

Banned

- Explosive first-person shooter with a future-leaning setting, available on Windows as a Steam key, Desura key and DRM-free download. - Explosive, eh? That could be anything from Shattered Horizon through Serious Sam 3 to Nuclear Dawn, then, not just Hard Reset. EYE doesn't really strike me as "explosive", plus "future-leaning" doesn't mean "far flung future, like, thousands of years, man". Plus, doesn't it need Steam to function, being a Source game and all? :p
- Jaunty Windows and Mac adventure game, available on Steam, DRM-free, and on Desura, arrr. - Jolly Rover's been in a bundle before (I believe it was one of the Humble bundles, possibly 2 or 3?), so it'll be disappointing if it's that again.
- Brainy Steam-enabled Windows and Mac title dispensing real-time strategy action. - Cortex Command? It's also been in a bundle before, so boooo. Frozen Synapse has also been in a bundle before, plus it's turn-based, so it's out. Never heard of Vertex Dispenser before this very thread, so I can't really say anything about it.
- An Indie Royale exclusive Windows/Mac debut (DRM-free and Desura) for an acclaimed satirical platformer, plus a bonus – a DRM-free Windows RPG overhead shooter from the same creator. - Hmmm. so DLC Quest and Lair Of The Evildoer? I really liked the trial of DLC Quest I played on X360, so yeah, I'll jump in for that. LotE looks cool, too, like an arcadey Roguelike with Gauntlet-style enemy swarms.

It still might be worth getting this bundle, dependent on some of the games available. I'll keep a look out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom