• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrgone

This is quite funny, the DLC is double the price of the whole game and it's only 1-2 hours in length. I don't have a problem with GFWL, but it is silly that the DLC isn't available on Steam. Same deal with the first Section 8, I paid $2.50 for the game then $6 or something for the DLC because it was only available on the GFWL marketplace. lol.

I don't understand Microsoft's GFWL store pricing at all. Sometimes it's almost alright, like that $10 Minerva's Den sale during the holidays. Sometimes it's completely awful, like that Fallout 3 sale around the same time where their sale price for the vanilla game was higher than the non-sale GOTY price on Steam. And sometimes it's just crazy, like that 99% off AOE 3 deal. Their regular prices are almost universally out of touch with the real world.

I figured I would play some Company of Heroes today, to test the game on my new account, and is prompted with an unskippable dialogue to login to Relic Online. I only played the game once before, but I don´t remember this crap? Has it always been there? I only want to play some skirmish quickly to test the performance.

Yeah, aside from the weirdly slapped-on PC controls Gamespy is pretty much the worst thing they did to this game. If I could go back in time the first thing I would do is kill Hitler, but the second thing I would do would be to prevent Gamespy from becoming an online gaming platform. Priorities!

edit: After a moment of reflection Gamespy was definitely the worst thing they did to the game. You can still do most everything without issue despite their decisions about the controls. The game's so pointedly designed for co-op, though, that breaking that part was the greatest offense.

Having a nightmare trying to get 3 of my friends in the same room. :\

Advice please, GAF.

mrgone

Having a nightmare trying to get 3 of my friends in the same room. :\

Advice please, GAF.

I wish I could help directly, but I never had any luck getting into games with people I knew. I think people had more success with a tool called GameRanger, but I never used it myself.

I figured I would play some Company of Heroes today, to test the game on my new account, and is prompted with an unskippable dialogue to login to Relic Online. I only played the game once before, but I don´t remember this crap? Has it always been there? I only want to play some skirmish quickly to test the performance.

I believe it was.

Did they ever release Minerva's Den for the PC version? Also like Mass Effect they decided "to cater to the PC market and remove controller support." No sense.

Did they ever release Minerva's Den for the PC version? Also like Mass Effect they decided "to cater to the PC market and remove controller support." No sense.

came out a while ago and even went on sale once for $5. unfortunately the DLC is through Games for Windows Live, meaning it's the only place to buy it.

I believe it was.

Bah. Don´t like it. Don´t like it at all.

I have out of principle avoided games that require additional server dependencies besides Steam. To actually encounter it in a purchase, and be locked out of all single player content if you don´t log in, that feels just wrong. Glad that I don´t have to put up with crap like that in later releases from Relic such as Dawn of War II: Retribution.

I wish I could help directly, but I never had any luck getting into games with people I knew. I think people had more success with a tool called GameRanger, but I never used it myself.

No worries, I think we've sorted it out. There's a 'checkpoint' you have to hit before it turns off 'Newbie/Tutorial' mode and opens the game up (Dr. Zed's Hut).

BosSin

Ah man :(
Decided that I was going to get costume quest while it was still on deal today, but an ATM swallowed up my debit card and its gonna take 3-4 days for a new one to come...

Now I don't think any payments will go through if I use my usual PayPal account, sigh just gonna have to wait for it to come on deal again

mrgone

came out a while ago and even went on sale once for $5. unfortunately the DLC is through Games for Windows Live, meaning it's the only place to buy it.

Oh snap, that's right! It was $5 last November during the Thanksgiving sale. $10 is the regular price

No worries, I think we've sorted it out. There's a 'checkpoint' you have to hit before it turns off 'Newbie/Tutorial' mode and opens the game up (Dr. Zed's Hut).
Glad to hear it's working for ya :)

logo_jasf.png

Don't get this game. It's not good. Not enjoyable. It is with out joy. Spend no money on this game.

coopolon

If you signed up for a free prime trial a while back, you got a 15% off everything FOREVER discount for GamersGate, that continues to work even if you're not a Prime member anymore.

This doesn't work anymore for me. Now it gives me 15% of the game price back in their store credit system. If you buy a lot of games from them it probably works out to the same thing, but it is not as useful for me.

Dambrosi

Banned
This doesn't work anymore for me. Now it gives me 15% of the game price back in their store credit system. If you buy a lot of games from them it probably works out to the same thing, but it is not as useful for me.

Just checked, it's the same for me too. Boo Fucking HISS.

Joe Molotov

Really? It still works for me. I tried it again just now to make sure they hadn't changed it since yesterday.

YyS2M.jpg

The_End

Yeah, I'm still seeing the discount in my cart.

For the record, I'm not currently an IGN Prime member. I only did the free trials.

Dambrosi

Banned
Really? It still works for me. I tried it again just now to make sure they hadn't changed it since yesterday.

YyS2M.jpg

How odd. I went back to try again (with both Jane's and ME3), and the discount was applied in both cases, whereas before it only gave me blue coins.

Maybe the site was just glitching for a while, and is now fixed?

Bluth54

Don't Valve employees get an account with access to everything on Steam as part of their benefits package?

If you look at the Valve employee group on steam some people have all the games on steam and some don't. Maybe you have to work there for a certain amount of time before you get an employee account?

coopolon

Maybe it only works a certain number of times. Have you guys used the discount before?

Strange. I have used it once before. Now when I add ME3 (59.99) I get 15% blue coins back. But when I add Painkiller (9.99) I get the 15% off.

Edit: It's not price or publisher. Syndicate, for the same price and same publisher, takes the 15% off. I don't know what the difference is.

Dambrosi

Banned
Strange. I have used it once before. Now when I add ME3 (59.99) I get 15% blue coins back. But when I add Painkiller (9.99) I get the 15% off.

Edit: It's not price or publisher. Syndicate, for the same price and same publisher, takes the 15% off. I don't know what the difference is.

Sounds like a random website coding bug. It'll get fixed, just give GG a chance to get to it.

I still kind of resent Randy Pitchford for talking about how the PC port of Borderlands was getting SPECIAL ATTENTION. It won't feel like a console port at all! Yuck.

Never trust a magician.

Also, you can use gameranger for most games that use gamespy. Much easier and more stable.

Nymerio

What's the best version of Railroad Tycoon to get? And how do the x-com games hold up? I've never played one but heard good things. Buy?

Mom just applied to Valve for the Steam Account Manager position.

Fingers crossed.
I'm actually getting my portfolio ready to send to Valve to try and become a community manager and/or developer on the TF2 team, within the next few weeks.
Considering I've been helping with some patches for them over the last few months... I figure I have some semblance of a chance.

Man that would be a dream come true.

PaulLFC

At the moment I just have the base, non-GOTY version of Civ 5 with no DLC. Since it's 75% off today, which DLCs are worth buying?

At the moment I just have the base, non-GOTY version of Civ 5 with no DLC. Since it's 75% off today, which DLCs are worth buying?

Wanted to ask the same question.

Inca+Spain, Korea and Denmark look interesting.

Also, does someone have a spare copy of Bioshock to sell? I just missed out on the deadline because of DST. :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Civilization V GOTY isn't actually complete, right? I recall people saying that there was missing content. Anybody remember what content isn't included in the GOTY edition?

From a cursory cross-reference, the GoTY Edition is missing only:

- Wonders of the Ancient World Scenario Pack
- Civilization and Scenario Pack: Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom