• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

hym

Banned
I'm cool with that. Showing ea where the real money is.

EA should be aware of it by now with 'Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning' in the top 10 for a month. But Origin exclusives aren't about short-term profits. It does appear that they have decided to care less about attaching "casual" gamers to their digital platform by releasing 'The Sims 3 Showtime' on Steam. Without exactly knowing EA's agenda it does come over a bit schizophrenic.

Shank2 and Gatling Gears also released on Steam both from EA partner developers.

Does anybody know whats happening with steam? It looks like they do IP block people or something like that. I cant go to the steam webpage, cant connect to the steam client on my PC and on my girlfriends PC and i cant connect to the Steam APP on my Phone. Strange is that i can connect to steam via the Steam APP if i use 3G and not Wifi.

Any fix for this?

EA should be aware of it by now with 'Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning' in the top 10 for a month. But Origin exclusives aren't about short-term profits. It does appear that they have decided to care less about attaching "casual" gamers to their digital platform by releasing 'The Sims 3 Showtime' on Steam. Without exactly knowing EA's agenda it does come over a bit schizophrenic.

Shank2 and Gatling Gears also released on Steam both from EA partner developers.

You need to remember that EA isn't one monolithic studio. Each of their studios have some independence. The bigger you are, such as Maxis/The Sims Studio, the more you are able to not tow the company line. The funny thing is, all the sim games now have an online store within the game. So they all break the "Steam games must sell dlc via steam" rule. In a way I think its kind of ironic since the EA Downloader/Origin started as a way to making buying and installing Sims and expansion pack easier.

As for ME 1 & 2 selling well on steam, at least they are offering the good ones. ;)

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
I'd hate to think all the indie game bundles are decimating the entire bundle concept as a whole. I have rather selfish motivations to see them remain active and interesting
(been putting together a music-based one, should launch soon)
, but I really hope overexposure doesn't wind up harming one of the better sources of indie media exposure/income to come along lately.

Blizzard

Banned
I'd hate to think all the indie game bundles are decimating the entire bundle concept as a whole. I have rather selfish motivations to see them remain active and interesting
(been putting together a music-based one, should launch soon)
, but I really hope overexposure doesn't wind up harming one of the better sources of indie media exposure/income to come along lately.
There have already been two indie music soundtrack bundles -- are you related to them? :p

HoosTrax

The complete edition is $19.99, and the DLC does include real content (i.e. additional cases, not just fluff). I think I bought the complete edition for less than that during the Winter Sale though (it may have been 66% off).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fuck LA Noire. They pushed an update that actually gives you FEWER resolution options. And the game still doesn't run that great. At that point I just gave up on my play through ad deleted it. Maybe I'll reinstall it when the fans try to clean up the mess.

They just updated it to fix that.

daxy

Burnout Paradise is a really fun, fast paced arcade racing game. Definitely worth picking up if you're into that sort of thing. The only gripe I have is that when you enter a race the game doesn't give you an optimal route, so if you don't know the world's layout by heart there's a lot of back an forth between racing and viewing the world map to determine what route to take or where to turn.

HoosTrax

RE: LA Noire - I've played the game through, and I thought the game had high production values but was a bit lacking in polish.

What I mean by that is you could tell a lot of money went into funding things like the voice acting, motion capture, vehicle models, city modeling, etc. It's a very intricately detailed reconstruction of LA in the mid-1940s.

But there were various little gameplay elements that didn't quite work, like the non-intuitive interrogations and the odd juxtapositioning of GTA gameplay with the relatively serious historical portrayal. Why oh why does every case involve a ridiculous car chase or shootout.

I don't regret buying the game at all -- it's a refreshing chance of pace from the cookie cutter FPSs these days. I just see various parts of the game that could have used some readjustment.

bigace33

How does Burnout Paradise compare to other arcade racers like Flatout and NFS?

Hacker Evolution is a non-publicized discount (you can see it in the Specials tab).
Burnout Paradise is so good, that I actually bought it on Xbox 360, PC and PS3, along with a ton of dlc for both console versions.

Tomodachi

I hate rockstar so much right now. They had to wait just weeks after my beautiful 50% off coupon expired to have LA Noire as a midweek madness deal :'(
So... I think I'll wait, I wouldn't play it anytime soon anyway.

How does Burnout Paradise compare to other arcade racers like Flatout and NFS?
I haven't played the PC version but I own Burnout Paradise on my PS3 and it's definitely my favorite racing game this gen by a long shot. It's the first game I bought DLC for, which was awesome. Great great game.

JordanKZ

By the way, I think I'll take Burnout even though I had it on my now defunct 360, is it a good port though?

Fantastic port. Full 360 pad support, all the DLC from the console versions, runs great and has a tonne of graphics customisation. Also, I think It even has multi-monitor support.

The_End

Another Midweek Madness - Orcs Must Die! $3.74 (75% off).

Bah, I just traded SPAZ for Orcs Must Die plus DLC two nights ago. I already own the base game, so I was just getting it for the DLC & the ability to flip OMC for something else. It was a great deal for me...until a few minutes ago. :(

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you're on the fence about Burnout Paradise, I think I can help.

Ask yourself this question: "How many times can I withstand hearing Guns n' Roses' Paradise City before I collapse into myself and become a black hole of unhappiness from which nothing can escape save for darkness, spite, self-hatred, and pain?"

If your answer is less than a thousand, considering another racing game.

It's a good game otherwise, though.

Fantastic port. Full 360 pad support, all the DLC from the console versions, runs great and has a tonne of graphics customisation. Also, I think It even has multi-monitor support.

Sadly but can't have all the DLC, Burnout Paradise Store (for the PC) is closed, you can't buy the Legendary Cars Pack, Toy Cars Pack, etc etc...

Volcynika

Ask yourself this question: "How many times can I withstand hearing Guns n' Roses' Paradise City before I collapse into myself and become a black hole of unhappiness from which nothing can escape save for darkness, spite, self-hatred, and pain?"

But don't you want to go to where the grass is green and the girls are pretty?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I find it more amusing not to warn people about that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
You can disable all of those songs. You have to do it manually for each one, but you can.

However, I would ask the same question regarding racing the same 5 boring routes ad infinitum to unlock new licenses/cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom