• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does the game in question have paid DLC?

DLC code sold on DD platform then activated on Origin. EA used this approach with Battlefield 3 so they clearly aren't averse to it. It also works fine within Steam's constraints as that is the exact method GFWL games use.

BOOM. Argument annihilated.

EA's reasoning is full of holes the size of barns.

Whoa!

I got 2 coupons, my computer crashed so I had to reboot. Now I have 2 more coupons. Total of 4.

Reboot your Steams everyone! Maybe you'll have more too.

The_End

Anybody remember when Inventories were introduced? The earliest that I can recall noticing them was just after Thanksgiving when I received a Railworks coupon.

DTKT

DLC code sold on DD platform then activated on Origin. EA used this approach with Battlefield 3 so they clearly aren't averse to it. It also works fine within Steam's constraints as that is the exact method GFWL games use.

Note that there were no new games exclusively using GFWL released on Steam. Arkham City provided a in-steam download for all the DLC.

I still believe that Valve requires any publisher to put up it's DLC on Steam.

I suddenly have three coupons for 66% off might & magic: clash of heroes.

You can have them all, I really don't give a fuck.
thanks for the coupons! bought clash of heroes with great quickness. hope ya enjoy the dota 2 pass (provided the game doesn't scare the shit out of you with how arcane it can be).

if anyone needs one of the other two 66% off clash of heroes coupons just let me know. still have 50% off asscreed revelations and 50% off might and magic vi too. also got a couple nuclear dawn guest passes that anyone can have.

DLC code sold on DD platform then activated on Origin. EA used this approach with Battlefield 3 so they clearly aren't averse to it.

I think it's pretty straightforward to argue that EA was already committed to a Steam release for BF3 before their Origin policy solidified and therefore it's a tail-end transition away from their old Steam policy rather than soemthing they "clearly aren't averse to." If another game comes out that adopts the same method, that'll be a different story.

Joe Molotov

EA has already released tons of Sims DLC on Steam, both before and after their spat with Valve.

DTKT

It must be a bug, I'm not sure if it's really safe to use all these magic coupons. :|

But really, it's strange that Valve hasn't done anything to address the situation.

Tess3ract

Banned
Every time I reboot Steam i'm getting more coupons

no joke
slowpoke_pokemon.gif

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I think it's pretty straightforward to argue that EA was already committed to a Steam release for BF3 before their Origin policy solidified and therefore it's a tail-end transition away from their old Steam policy rather than soemthing they "clearly aren't averse to." If another game comes out that adopts the same method, that'll be a different story.
EA has never been keen to release DLC on Steam so I wouldn't classify it as an "old Steam policy." Example: Mass Effect 1/2, Mirror's Edge, Medal of Honor 2010, Dragon Age 1/2 all have DLC content that was never available on Steam or any other platform than their own.

Note that there were no new games exclusively using GFWL released on Steam. Arkham City provided a in-steam download for all the DLC.

I still believe that Valve requires any publisher to put up it's DLC on Steam.
This argument falls apart here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/21170/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

"Notice: To activate the downloadable content after your purchase, launch Gotham City Imposters and copy the Product Code from the Steam overlay into your clipboard. Once the game launches and the Gamertag sign-in process completes, press the Home key to bring up the Games for Windows Live overlay. Click Gamertag, select Redeem Code, and paste in the Product Code to initiate the download process. Alternatively, Product Code for the downloadable content may be redeemed from a web browser at https://live.xbox.com/RedeemToken."

That came out February.

The_End

It must be a bug, I'm not sure if it's really safe to use all these magic coupons. :|

But really, it's strange that Valve hasn't done anything to address the situation.

Unless the bug is causing people not to get coupons because others end up getting multiple coupons, why would they bother to try and fix it? More coupons means more sales. Plus it encourages trading.

DTKT

Unless the bug is causing people not to get coupons because others end up getting multiple coupons, why would they bother to try and fix it? More coupons means more sales. Plus it encourages trading.

Sure, but Ubisoft has to agree to let their games be on sale. They are the ones getting a cut of the money.

I doubt that Valve has full control over the price of any game on their service.

EA has never been keen to release DLC on Steam so I wouldn't classify it as an "old Steam policy." Example: Mass Effect 1/2, Mirror's Edge, Medal of Honor 2010, Dragon Age 1/2 all have DLC content that was never available on Steam or any other platform than their own.

This argument falls apart here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/21170/?snr=1_7_suggest__13

"Notice: To activate the downloadable content after your purchase, launch Gotham City Imposters and copy the Product Code from the Steam overlay into your clipboard. Once the game launches and the Gamertag sign-in process completes, press the Home key to bring up the Games for Windows Live overlay. Click Gamertag, select Redeem Code, and paste in the Product Code to initiate the download process. Alternatively, Product Code for the downloadable content may be redeemed from a web browser at https://live.xbox.com/RedeemToken."

That came out February.

So, if I understand the wording correctly:

1- You buy the DLC content on Steam and it gives you a code.
2- You launch the game and the GFWL overlay and activate that code within the GFWL service.

My point still stands, the content is offered through Steam. Steam gets a cut of each and every single purchase. You just activate it within GFWL.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So, if I understand the wording correctly:

1- You buy the DLC content on Steam and it gives you a code.
2- You launch the game and the GFWL overlay and activate that code within the GFWL service.

My point still stands, the content is offered through Steam. Steam gets a cut of each and every single purchase. You just activate it within GFWL.

And my point was that EA has done that exact method with our DD platforms so they clearly don't have an issue with it, nor does Valve.

Ok, this is getting annoying.

I'm getting 2 more coupons every few minutes. I don't even need to restart Steam.

Are they getting a head start on April Fools?

HoosTrax

Ok, this is getting annoying.

I'm getting 2 more coupons every few minutes. I don't even need to restart Steam.

Are they getting a head start on April Fools?
I'm mildly offended that I own a few hundred games on Steam, but apparently I don't deserve any coupons :(. Wonder how Steam decides who to give them to.

Edit: Does M&M: Clash of Heroes have the usual Ubi DRM? I know that Heroes VI and AssCreed do.

Warp looked interesting, but no way that I´m going to so support beyond must have EA AAA games. That´s where I draw the line.

And how does this work really? You have to start the game through the Steam client as usual, and then the game also starts the Origin client? Or is it just and overlay? If the first is through, and a Steam purchase of this game would make no sense at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
I own Assassin's Creed 1 and 2, but I haven't beaten either and I don't own Brotherhood, so there's no point in buying Revelations.
If I were you I wouldn't bother with Ass Bro or Rev and would just skip to 3. Brotherhood's got some great stuff but I still regret buying it day 1.

I'll probably buy Revelations when it's at its cheapest. Like 10$ or something.

Well for whatever reason. the Revelations coupon I guess, I got it into my head that I should at least try to play through the two I do own, so I installed Assassin's Creed 1.

Wok

So Shank was not available on Steam FR, yet Shank 2 is. And Warp is not available on Steam FR. Seriously, EA?

zkylon

zkylewd
Well for whatever reason. the Revelations coupon I guess, I got it into my head that I should at least try to play through the two I do own, so I installed Assassin's Creed 1.
Wow, woops, sorry, I just realized my post can be easily misunderstood. I was talking about AssCreed Bro and Rev, not AC1&2. My opinion on the first two:

Assassins Creed 1 can get pretty tedious at times and I would suggest skipping most of the side stuff, but I feel it's the most ambitious in the franchise and I wish other games would've been a little closer to AC1 in the whole planning-assassination-escape gameflow.

Assassins Creed 2 is a lot more straight-up fun and has a lot of character to it, but it feels a little too focus-group-tested for my taste. You're a lot more likely to enjoy AC2 than 1.

cicero

It may just be me, but all the coupons I seemed to have amassed during my Steam Client restarting frenzy seemed to have disappeared on me. I now only have the original two I started with.

The Gabe giveth, and the Gabe taketh away... ;_;

Would anyone want to trade a coupon? I have one for might and magic clash of heroes (-66%) and would like to get one for Assassin's Creed :D

I am willing to do that trade but I can't do it until I get home after work. So you would have to wait around 7 hours or so. It's 10:30 am here right now. I will PM you after work if your willing to wait.

I have magic clash for PS3 but the loading times are totally killing me. Great game though

ngt

Guys can you help me here please?

I won a Dota 2 key in a giveaway at truepcgaming.com. It is going to be a birthday gift for a friend, a big Dota fan. To be honest I don't really like keys as there's always a chance they might be already used (which happened to me with the Diablo 3 beta key I won in some other contest). I've heard that the Dota 2 keys give you more than one copy actually: you get one for yourself and two to share. My question is: is that true? If it was true, I could use it and then give one of the spare copies to my friend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered about giving him 3 copies of the game, but I'd like to avoid any disappointment in case the key was used.

Also, if anyone's got a spare ACR/H6 coupon I'd gladly accept it :)

Nabs

I won a Dota 2 key in a giveaway at truepcgaming.com. It is going to be a birthday gift for a friend, a big Dota fan. To be honest I don't really like keys as there's always a chance they might be already used (which happened to me with the Diablo 3 beta key I won in some other contest). I've heard that the Dota 2 keys give you more than one copy actually: you get one for yourself and two to share. My question is: is that true? If it was true, I could use it and then give one of the spare copies to my friend.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bothered about giving him 3 copies of the game, but I'd like to avoid any disappointment in case the key was used.

Old Dota 2 keys used to give extras, but they stopped that after a while. The key you won may be old, but is it really worth the gamble?

zkylon

zkylewd
Would anyone want to trade a coupon? I have one for might and magic clash of heroes (-66%) and would like to get one for Assassin's Creed :D

PMed you both.

Hmm, no coupons here, even after restarting. Odd.

Is this strange phenomenon only happening to US accounts?
That can't be it, my account's from Latin America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom