• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crub

Indie Royale is up. None of the predicted titles were correct. Don't really understand what "Ninja" had to do with anything.

Seanbob11

Interesting Steam bug. It seems like SEGA/CA managed to patch Shogun 2 out from my profile page. I still have it in my library, can play it, earn achievements and it records gametime. But the game is not shown among recently played the games on my profile page, not shown in the complete games list on the profile page, and earned achievements doesn´t show on the blotter.

I have exactly the same problem.

I set a bad precedent for myself by instantly cashing in the AC:Rev coupon I was given. Didn't even hesitate slightly. Valve now knows I'm a complete sucker with terrible impulse control. Now I can't even make eye contact with Steam and should probably just avoid this thread in general.

Dambrosi

Banned
Suddenly when I try to login to Steam I get this error message as it's logging in:

"Could not connect to Steam network.
This could be due to a problem with your Internet connection, or with the Steam network. Please visit www.steampowered.com for more info."

Does anyone have any idea what the deal is? My internet is working fine... I'll start troubleshooting, and already tried some things, but nothing has worked so far.

Edit: I removed my userdata folder and tried logging in and it worked... but now all my games are out of categories. Are all my saves compromised too (the ones that don't use Steamworks on the cloud)? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

What? I thought that was my new virgin Windows 7 installation effing up! Thank goodness!

Godammit Valve, you had me fuming for hours there.

TheExodu5

Banned
TLR has an outrageously annoying protagonist and a sort of dopey story to go with him, but it is otherwise an excellent RPG (and one that was drastically improved in its PC release compared to the original 360 version.) It's only been on sale for cheaper a few times; I guess it's conceivable it'll be $10 again sometime in the future, but given that SE actually raised the price from $40 to $50 (lulz) I wouldn't bet my life on it.

They raised the price to $50? What the hell is wrong with them?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They raised the price to $50? What the hell is wrong with them?

It's a standard firesale tactic. They raise the price and discount it deeper, giving the illusion that you're saving more than you actually are.

It sucks, but is an interesting tactic on Steam, where many people will consider buying basically anything if it is 75% off.

1-D_FTW

Do you really need to ask this question?

Hey, now, they did have enough sense to pick up Eidos for some pocket change.

What's funny about this LR talk is I managed to have some self control and not cave at purchasing it. I was at the caving point a couple of times, but held strong. But the way they raised the price on it, I have a faint tinge of regret for not picking it up at 10 dollars. Not that I would have ever played it, it's just the principle of it.

rObit

Banned
Got one of those EVE coupons as well. I already own it so if anyone wants EVE real cheap PM me your SteamID.

edit: used

Clydefrog

Should I use my Ass Creed Revelations coupon and buy it for $25?

I have so many games to play... it will probably go lower soonish, right?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fuck me, why can't my tax return get here already!

You don't have $10?

Edit: My intention was for you to reply with an answer effectively being "no" and gift you the deal... but it's not on Steam AU, and there's no substitute (i.e. no DD at all). Three cheers for stupid publishers!

epmode

Are these games good/classics? I'm quite tempted to get them but I know very little about them.
6 is a classic. I haven't played through it but 5 might be worthwhile as well. ..so long as you don't try the talkie version.

1, 2 and 3 all have free remakes that are way better because those games did not age well at all.

Agreed. I've never been a huge fan of King's Quest. KICKSTART QUEST FOR GLORY OK?

5 and 6 are great

1, 2 and 3 all have free remakes that are way better because those games did not age well at all.

I also liked 7 very much. It's more of a fairy-tale kind of world but it was the first one in the series I played and really enjoyed it. Mind you, this is many years ago.

6 is a classic. I haven't played through it but 5 might be worthwhile as well. ..so long as you don't try the talkie version.

The voice acting in 5 is great.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Are these games good/classics? I'm quite tempted to get them but I know very little about them.

Depends. Would you not mind random deaths, nonsensical puzzles that can only be solved through trial and error, and possibly having to start the whole game over because you missed something?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely ADORE the games, but I'm just trying to give warning. I'd get them myself if I didn't already own most of the collection on GOG.

Also, is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light DLC worth it? I've already finished the main game and I'd love to have more content to play.

I'd also recommend playing the remakes over the original three. And keep in mind if you have Windows 7 or Vista you may run into issues playing the Steam versions. If that's a concern then just get them on GOG.

You don't have $10?

Edit: My intention was for you to reply with an answer effectively being "no" and gift you the deal... but it's not on Steam AU, and there's no substitute (i.e. no DD at all). Three cheers for stupid publishers!

I actually only have 5 bucks in my account right now, yay poor money management!

Also thanks for the offer (its the thought that counts!), but lord knows I have more than enough games already (that I don't have time for anyway!).

The owl is so awful that I never bothered past the first few areas.

Where you get them doesn't really matter. Just make sure you're playing them with SCUMMVM and you won't run into compatibility issues.

That works? I've tried playing the LucasArts games on Steam through SCUMM and they don't work. I assumed the same with King's Quest.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I actually only have 5 bucks in my account right now, yay poor money management!

Also thanks for the offer (its the thought that counts!), but lord knows I have more than enough games already (that I don't have time for anyway!).

No worries. :) Just as well that it's no big loss, I suppose.

epmode

That works? I've tried playing the LucasArts games on Steam through SCUMM and they don't work. I assumed the same with King's Quest.

The Steam release of the Lucasarts games were made so that they'd be incompatible with SCUMMVM (they use a different interpreter and the SCUMMVM guys said they'd leave it alone). The Sierra stuff works fine since Activision barely did anything to get them on Steam.

The Steam release of the Lucasarts games were made so that they'd be incompatible with SCUMMVM (they use a different interpreter and the SCUMMVM guys said they'd leave it alone). The Sierra stuff works fine since Activision barely did anything to get them on Steam.

Oh, good to know.

It's probably been over a decade since I've played a King's Quest game. I haven't even tried those fan remakes out but everyone who plays them tells me they are done with the originals now that they have those. I may go through them in preparation for TellTale's game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom