• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmagus

I suppose most of them don't run on Win7 x64?

Kings Quest Collection

Yeah I would be cautious buying this collection if you have Win7 x64 because the games do run but the visuals are messed up. I bought this back when I had xp and when I upgraded it's almost unplayable. Apparently alot of people are having visual issues with it which sucks because they are amazing games.

Ledsen

Tomb Raider games are super consumable. They don't have needlessly massive and blank worlds, they don't have pointless busywork missions, they don't have gimmicky cover systems, the storyline doesn't have a bunch of pointless blabbering on, they don't have task-grinding to unlock required abilities before proceeding, they don't have the game interrupting every 10 minutes to show you a cutscene of how basic mechanics work, etc, etc. They are just focused, accessible, and fun. You explore and naturally discover and figure out what you need with a few fights along the way. A lot of passages are linear and the fun is just in figuring out how to navigate through them, like you do in actual rock climbing/spelunking. I've beaten all of them where most of my backlog sits unfinished.

You really nailed why I love these games even though they aren't exceptional in any way. I even rebought Underworld and Legend (played them on 360 before). They're just so easy-going, well-paced and fun to go through. There's nothing else quite like them.

McNum

Hm, I haven't played any Tomb Raider games since The Last Revelation, which was... so-so.

But I do remember the first three being pretty fun, it might be fun to get Anniversary, just to see good old Tomb Raider re-imagined. Is it as big a nostalgia trip as I assume it is?

Minsc

Gold Member
Kings Quest Collection

Yeah I would be cautious buying this collection if you have Win7 x64 because the games do run but the visuals are messed up. I bought this back when I had xp and when I upgraded it's almost unplayable. Apparently alot of people are having visual issues with it which sucks because they are amazing games.

They're DOS games though, so they all run perfectly in DOSBox.

Edit: And ScummVM as well, so there's no difficulty involved in getting them running in an easy program.

Tomodachi

Hm, I haven't played any Tomb Raider games since The Last Revelation, which was... so-so.

But I do remember the first three being pretty fun, it might be fun to get Anniversary, just to see good old Tomb Raider re-imagined. Is it as big a nostalgia trip as I assume it is?
Yes, go for it. It's a totally different experience and then it's so full of memories. Go for it. If you like the new gameplay I also suggest Underworld, amazing game. Not a big Legend fan, but you might want to play that too since it's short and has a nice story that links Anniversary and Underworld.

shieet I just got an cs:go invite as well in my inventory (guess thats an intive to gift to another one, because the game is already in my library). Got no email telling me that I am in the beta though.

shieet I just got an cs:go invite as well in my inventory (guess thats an intive to gift to another one, because the game is already in my library). Got no email telling me that I am in the beta though.
Congratulations.

Mang, I thought I had completed that survey. Guess not. To the waiting game!

Tomodachi

A random question guys, is Deus Ex: HR better with the 360 pad or with m+kb? I know that sounds as a dumb question being an fps (more like first person adventure?) and all but I'd really like to play it on my tv and my m+kb are not Comfy Couch™ approved, so I wanted to know if there really isn't that big a difference and it was ok with a pad.

Also, where the hell ended up that Steam TV thingie Gabe? D:

confused

Banned
Thanks for the replies, i was hoping for 360 pad support.

Might aswell pick them up then for this price.

Be sure to play anniversary first as it's the best. Then Legend then Underworld (Story is linked between these two.) GOL is just great all-round and cabn be played whenever you like.

confused

Banned
Will getting into the CS:GO beta give me the full game when it releases or is it just for testing purposes and they'll expect me to pay $20 when it comes out ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Will getting into the CS:GO beta give me the full game when it releases or is it just for testing purposes and they'll expect me to pay $20 when it comes out ?

I'd say it depends on whether Valve open up the beta or leave it invite-only.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Think I used all my luck getting into the Dota2 Beta, lol.

Unless they make it F2P you'll have to buy it.

McNum

Yes, go for it. It's a totally different experience and then it's so full of memories. Go for it. If you like the new gameplay I also suggest Underworld, amazing game. Not a big Legend fan, but you might want to play that too since it's short and has a nice story that links Anniversary and Underworld.
I'm just here for the nostalgia trip. I'll stick with Anniversary. Fighting bats, bears, raptors, a T-Rex, and mummies. You know, the usual things you find in a cave. Before Lara had to fight human enemies by the hundreds...

Ledsen

A random question guys, is Deus Ex: HR better with the 360 pad or with m+kb? I know that sounds as a dumb question being an fps (more like first person adventure?) and all but I'd really like to play it on my tv and my m+kb are not Comfy Couch™ approved, so I wanted to know if there really isn't that big a difference and it was ok with a pad.

It was developed as a console game first and foremost, of course gamepad works perfectly. I played it all the way through with a 360 pad.

Tomodachi

It was developed as a console game first and foremost, of course gamepad works perfectly. I played it all the way through with a 360 pad.
Ah nice, I thought it could have been developed with consoles in mind, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks a lot.

FuKuy

Is a Deus Ex game, definitely go for keyboard and mouse combo. Interface is fully adapted to PC, shortcuts and inventory is way better than gamepad.

MNC

I'm not fond of the hands adding a bit more 'realism' to it. The original audiosurf carts were pretty nicea as abstract things.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Sequel to Audiosurf announced, beta signup available

I was going to make a thread about it, but there isn't too much information right now :/

You absolutely should make a thread or I will.

16ivbxyodj01.gif

This weekend is tops with this news + a CSGO invite.

I just hope it wont be f2p in the first few years.

Because of all the clusterfuck that TF2 is now, I really do not like to play it anymore. If you are on a public-server, the chat is mostly about trading.
If I get a new item, people try to add me on steam and ask what to trade for it.
A lot of public servers are overpopulated by rude children.

I do not want CS to meet the same fate.

I just hope it wont be f2p in the first few years.

Because of all the clusterfuck that TF2 is now, I really do not like to play it anymore. If you are on a public-server, the chat is mostly about trading.
If I get a new item, people try to add me on steam and ask what to trade for it.
A lot of public servers are overpopulated by rude children.

I do not want CS to meet the same fate.

Wouldn't want cs to be full of rude people now would we!

Wouldn't want cs to be full of rude people now would we!

I experienced, when CoD came out, that most of the players moved on to CoD. The CS:S servers I usually play on were mostly filled with people just wanna have fun playing.

And it seems in the CS:GO beta most people are also like that. Just have some fun, dont take it too seriously.

zkylon

zkylewd
Metro 2033 5$ (75% off) @ gamersgate (Deal of the day)

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-M2033/metro-2033

I have already a huge backlog but I love games with horror/dark atmosphere, is it worth it ?
It's great, biggest issue is that enemies can be a tad bulletsponges but that's remediable by playing Ranger mode.

PS: I can read from comments it requires top hardware to run, I have AMD X4 965 + ATI 5770 + 4GB ram, will it run decently ?
I played and beat it on a 4 year old rig (9800GTX+, a 2.66 Intel Quad Core, 4GB RAM DDR2) on 1680x1050 and pretty decent graphics settings at the very spiky framerate of 25-40FPS. It doesn't scale down great, but I think your rig will be enough to play on locked 30 in medium-to-high settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom