• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

Haven't looked at my pc in ages and to my surprise noticed I now have 3 -50% off Assassin's Creed: Revelations coupons in my inventory. Popped on here to see what the deal is and see a few have had the same.

Already own it so if anybody wants them let me know. They expire on 1st April 2012.

I suppose most of them don't run on Win7 x64?

They run in Dosbox, which iirc ships with the package. When you download them the games will be in individual folders (or something) that can be run by an updated Dosbox, too (I can't remember why I wanted to do this but there was some reason; it's possible the version shipped with Steam is an older Dosbox). The Quest games are essentially DRM free on Steam because of that.
I also liked 7 very much. It's more of a fairy-tale kind of world but it was the first one in the series I played and really enjoyed it. Mind you, this is many years ago.
I played 7 a couple years ago and it was rough. Definitely a situation where the increased detail in animation back then now comes across as low-quality, while the older games never had much animation to begin with, so you don't notice it.

Adnor

Banned
In Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, can you play co-op with one player using a 360 controller and the other Kb/M? Because Rock of Ages and Renegade Ops don't let me, so I'm not sure to buy it because of that.

Ra1den

In Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, can you play co-op with one player using a 360 controller and the other Kb/M? Because Rock of Ages and Renegade Ops don't let me, so I'm not sure to buy it because of that.

I'd also like to know this.

epmode

I just tested this and it's possible. The only restriction is that player 1 has to use the kb/m.

Suairyu

Banned
Tomb Raider Legend was my first ever 1000/1000 on 360. Loved the speed-run design of it.

How was the PC port? Is 60fps attainable on a good rig or is it doomed to performance errors?

If it's a banging port I could see myself doing it over the weekend yknow?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
It works great. Also, I think the "next gen effects" shit up what was obviously the original and more consistent artistic design. It looks much better with them off, even though some things (boxes you push around) stick out.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
It works great. Also, I think the "next gen effects" shit up what was obviously the original and more consistent artistic design. It looks much better with them off, even though some things (boxes you push around) stick out.

So much truth.

It just came out, so how could anyone have impressions yet? We can't even get impressions on games that have been on Steam for much much longer all the time.

ArjanN

Tomb Raider Legend was my first ever 1000/1000 on 360. Loved the speed-run design of it.

How was the PC port? Is 60fps attainable on a good rig or is it doomed to performance errors?

If it's a banging port I could see myself doing it over the weekend yknow?

PC version is great.

Suairyu

Banned
Cool. Bought Legend. Would get the other two in the trilogy, as well, but couldn't guarantee I'd play them again anytime soon, despite my love for all things Lara Croft. I think Anniversary and Underworld were much better Tomb Raider games, but Legend was so much more fun and, chiefly, replayable.

Maybe I'll get one of them every time they're on sale.

zkylon

zkylewd
I haven't played any Tomb Raider since the very first one and I want to give them a try. I bought LCatGotL but it has too many spiders so it creeps me out and anyways it's not the same.

Any suggestions? I feel like spending the $2.5 and play it someday but I don't want to keep overfeeding my backlog just for the sake of it.

Blizzard

Banned
I bough the King's Quest collection anyway, but people are scaring me telling me about how many unwinnable dead ends there are. =P

Rufus

Bought Adam's Adventure. Well within impulse purchase range. Don't think I'll get around to it soon, though I'll post impressions if I do. Shouldn't be too long, right? (Yeah, not even 800MB. Might start it up right away.)

ArjanN

I haven't played any Tomb Raider since the very first one and I want to give them a try. I bought LCatGotL but it has too many spiders so it creeps me out and anyways it's not the same.

Any suggestions? I feel like spending the $2.5 and play it someday but I don't want to keep overfeeding my backlog just for the sake of it.

They rebooted the series with Legend, Underworld is the direct sequel to legend.
Anniversary is a remake of the first Tomb Raider.
All 3 are great.

Pretty sure there are demos for al of them as well.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
They rebooted the series with Legend, Underworld is the direct sequel to legend.
All 3 are great.
Tomb Raider games are super consumable. They don't have needlessly massive and blank worlds, they don't have pointless busywork missions, they don't have gimmicky cover systems, the storyline doesn't have a bunch of pointless blabbering on, they don't have task-grinding to unlock required abilities before proceeding, they don't have the game interrupting every 10 minutes to show you a cutscene of how basic mechanics work, etc, etc. They are just focused, accessible, and fun. You explore and naturally discover and figure out what you need with a few fights along the way. A lot of passages are linear and the fun is just in figuring out how to navigate through them, like you do in actual rock climbing/spelunking. I've beaten all of them where most of my backlog sits unfinished.

Blizzard

Banned
Is the Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light DLC worth it?
I got the rest of them because they were so cheap, but I think I've only really heard one of them is good...and sadly I don't remember which one it is, just not the things go boom one. =P I'm assuming it's whatever one had the most puzzles in it.

mrgone

Hey dudes, there's another half-gig update to Dungeon Defenders. Is there any way to find out how much a particular game's downloaded in total? It seems like Dungeon Defenders is only ~3gig on disk, but I'm pretty sure I've downloaded that ten times over by now.

Bought Adam's Adventure. Well within impulse purchase range. Don't think I'll get around to it soon, though I'll post impressions if I do. Shouldn't be too long, right? (Yeah, not even 800MB. Might start it up right away.)

It's not the worst thing out there. I have all three...

Rufus

It's not the worst thing out there. I have all three...
Not the worst sounds about right. I don't care much for it. Matching three sentence fragments up so they make sense got old quickly. The other repeating puzzles don't add much to the experience either.
Do the subsequent episodes get any better?

zkylon

zkylewd
All 3 are great.

Pretty sure there are demos for al of them as well.

Tomb Raider games are super consumable. They don't have needlessly massive and blank worlds, they don't have pointless busywork missions, they don't have gimmicky cover systems, the storyline doesn't have a bunch of pointless blabbering on, they don't have task-grinding to unlock required abilities before proceeding, they don't have the game interrupting every 10 minutes to show you a cutscene of how basic mechanics work, etc, etc. They are just focused, accessible, and fun. You explore and naturally discover and figure out what you need with a few fights along the way. A lot of passages are linear and the fun is just in figuring out how to navigate through them, like you do in actual rock climbing/spelunking. I've beaten all of them where most of my backlog sits unfinished.

Hmm, that sounds really good. I'm gonna try the demo and see if I buy Legend, then play my way up. Thanks.

Rorschach

Steam store won't let me buy stuff... I can navigate throughout the store just fine, but it won't let me log in and purchase. :| Anyone else having this issue right now?

OMG I received a new message that I had a new item in my inventory I went to my inventory and... Surprise it's the Counter-Strike: Global Offensive :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom