• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
Is The Last Remnant any good? My friends that like it have very niche tastes so it is hard to take their recommendation.
I like JRPGs but I wasn't thrilled by it. I found the combat system unnecessarily obtrusive and random, the dungeon design was pretty much a lot of corridors in uninteresting locales and the story and characters felt like copy pasted from better games. It's not without its charm, the combat can get pretty engaging, Emma's a great character that stands out of the cast and pretty much lifted the entire game for me, and there aren't many JRPGs to choose from on PC, so it's not entirely bad, but I felt I had my due like 10 hours in.

HoosTrax

I like JRPGs but I wasn't thrilled by it. I found the combat system unnecessarily obtrusive and random, the dungeon design was pretty much a lot of corridors in uninteresting locales and the story and characters felt like copy pasted from better games. It's not without its charm, the combat can get pretty engaging, Emma's a great character that stands out of the cast and pretty much lifted the entire game for me, and there aren't many JRPGs to choose from on PC, so it's not entirely bad, but I felt I had my due like 10 hours in.
Yeah, I felt immediately drawn to and intrigued by Emma, whereas I felt like Sykes was a bit of a doofus and a bit annoying and hard to like. Which is a bit unfortunate in some ways...

amdnv

Yay! Finally the Fallout games are on sale. I insta-bought these, always wanted to play them.

Or are you actually disputing the very real and serious ergonomic drawbacks of m/kb?
At this point you must be trolling. Try using a gamepad for 200+ hours per month and see how long you last.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I felt immediately drawn to and intrigued by Emma, whereas I felt like Sykes was a bit of a doofus and a bit annoying and hard to like. Which is a bit unfortunate in some ways...
I think that Sykes had a weird bipolar and out-of-place thing in that he would be very serious and caring about his sister and the next second he would be calling Lord David "Dave". I didn't care for his design at all and I think I'm too old to relate to kids with uninterested parents.

Emma, on the other hand, is one of the best female designs Japan's ever made: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...well_image.jpg/361px-Emma_Honeywell_image.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
How is the story in FO 1,2 and Tactics? I'm a very story driven RPG type of player, so if the story isn't good I find it hard to keep playing just on mechanics alone.

zkylon

zkylewd
How is the story in FO 1,2 and Tactics? I'm a very story driven RPG type of player, so if the story isn't good I find it hard to keep playing just on mechanics alone.
It's pretty good in FO1, and it's above average in FO2 but in both games it takes a back seat to the open world exploration and completing side quests.

You'll like it, it's awesome.

Can't remember about FO: Tactics, though...

Ledsen

Yay! Finally the Fallout games are on sale. I insta-bought these, always wanted to play them.

At this point you must be trolling. Try using a gamepad for 200+ hours per month and see how long you last.

I'm talking about mouse and keyboard. You said you "must have wrists of steel" because you work on m+kb everyday and you don't have problems. I was incredulous at the notion that anyone would dismiss the possibility of future wrist and hand problems with a snide remark and a smiley. But sure, they're your hands.

HoosTrax

I think that Sykes had a weird bipolar and out-of-place thing in that he would be very serious and caring about his sister and the next second he would be calling Lord David "Dave". I didn't care for his design at all and I think I'm too old to relate to kids with uninterested parents.

Emma, on the other hand, is one of the best female designs Japan's ever made: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/_...well_image.jpg/361px-Emma_Honeywell_image.jpg
There aren't too many female heroines like her.

- older, battle-hardened, loyal veteran
- non-air-headed / ditzy
- fairly practically dressed

I think I was drawn to Irileth from Skyrim for the same reasons.

Inkwell

Banned
Just picked up Missing Link. All this time I thought I would have to play through the full game or have a save around the time the DLC is supposed to happen. It looks like that's not the case. Kind of awesome considering I've been in the mood for something like this.

Jomjom

Banned
It's pretty good in FO1, and it's above average in FO2 but in both games it takes a back seat to the open world exploration and completing side quests.

You'll like it, it's awesome.

Can't remember about FO: Tactics, though...

Cool thanks for the recommendation!

Binabik15

Are Fallout 1+2 on German Steam the cut versions? It doesn't say so, but you can never be sure. When I played Fallout 2 I couldn't do a quest because they edited out all the children D:

I also saved right before getting my brains blown out by supermutants in their bomb cult building.

Is The Last Remnant any good? My friends that like it have very niche tastes so it is hard to take their recommendation.

I played the 360 version and outside of technical issues (which I assume are fixed on PC) I really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect game by any means, the story is pretty meh although Emma is a great character and has some really great scenes. The battle system is unique and slightly random, instead of giving exact commands such as lightning or fire you give a general command to the squad, the only time it really annoyed me was when I needed a heal and I didn't have that option.

What's the opinion on Missing Link? And the other HR DLC, worth it or no? I already have the base game from an Amazon sale last year when it was $10, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet. So unfortunately I lost out on $2.50 there, but I can't be too upset.

Also tempted on the Fallout daily deal. Opinions there?

Scythian

I haven't finished Human Revolution, what's The Missing Link like? Is it like in Fallout 3/New Vegas in which DLC adds a new mission/areas, but you can keep playing normally?

Narag

I haven't finished Human Revolution, what's The Missing Link like? Is it like in Fallout 3/New Vegas in which DLC adds a new mission/areas, but you can keep playing normally?

From what I've read in here, it's a separately launched from the menu as is its own thing.

It fits in just after you leave Hengsha. However it is a stand alone DLC. You have to exit Human Revolution to play it. It would have been much better if they would have fit it into the regular game.

louiedog

There's a part in the main game, maybe 3/4 of the way through, where you go out of communication for a couple of days. The DLC take place during that part of the game. As far as playing it, it's completely separate from the rest of the game. Your augments and weapons are stripped from you at the beginning but you find a lot of praxis kits and weapons in the DLC so you're pretty powerful by the end of it. However, since it's separate, none of it will carry over to when the main story continues.

rybrad

How do the old fallout games hold up?
As someone who never played them until recently they seemed ok to me. Just go into it knowing they are old games and that the atmosphere/story are a big part of the fun. GOG forums has a pretty good post on mods and I personally think the widescreen mod is a must. Also give the manual a read!

.nimrod

Do you need to have Deus Ex HR installed to play the missing link since it's a separate executable?

I just bought it, and to answer my own question:

You do not have to have the main game installed to play the DLC, you just need to own it.
Which is great if you're low on HDD space

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Should I play DX and Invisible War first before playing Human Revolution? Or are they not story-related?

Should I play DX and Invisible War first before playing Human Revolution? Or are they not story-related?

Absolutely not. Human Revolution is a prequel. You don't need to know anything about the first two games to play it. There really aren't but a few very minor forshadowings, so you won't be confused at all nor will you be missing anything. Jump right in.

Oreoleo

They aren't really related story-wise and since HR is a prequel you can play it first without too much issue. They do reference a character from the first DX but it seemed more like a wink to fans than anything; not knowing about that character will not effect your enjoyment of the game.

No Deus Ex bundle? Dang. Well I'm pretty much all set to grab everything there anyways, including original Deus Ex. Should I bother with Invisible War? Seems like people think it sucks, but it's only $2.50...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You started so strong here with a perfect suggestion.... and then...

w9mqyu8ltq.gif

Card Boy

Banned
Invisible War get!

Only Deus Ex game I havent got. Any must have mods for it? I hear it's not a bad game, it's just a bad Deus Ex game.

Blitzhex

So, just bought EVE for 6 dollars on sale. Restarted steam and got a 75% off eve coupon that stacks :| Needless to say, I bought another one.

Steam's new marketing strategy is working alright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom