• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think it's a bad idea to let a metacritic score prevent you from getting an indie game. It is my observation that there is a "people are watching" scale where anything under 7 has experience-crippling problems, and a "I can be honest" score where a 5 means mediocre/shallow but still passable for what it is.

For example, with graphics you get something like this:
Mega Man 9 "Well, it's going for a retro thing, so it's okay" rates 7
Indie FPS: "Well, compared to Skyrim it's pretty shit, and Skyrim already wasn't a technical peak" rates 5

With gameplay you get:
Nintendo game: "They have crafted another masterfully accessible and focused experience" rates 9-10.
Indie game: "It doesn't have good multiplayer features, and there aren't really any unlockables or many modes, so you're basically just looking at a simplistic single player experience that lasts 8-12 hours" rates 5-6

A lot of the time it has nothing to do with actually being bad or having major problems. It's just a really confused state of weighing expectations vs fairness in a numerical value. And it's not even completely about whether "the weight of the masses" is felt by the reviewer. If you made a genre game rather than come up with a really original idea that is well executed so as to surprise the reviewer, you're going to be judged in a different way. So you get something like a racing game or an isometric shooter will get blasted compared to something like Cogs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it's a bad idea to let a metacritic score prevent you from getting an indie game. It is my observation that there is a "people are watching" scale where anything under 7 has experience-crippling problems, and a "I can be honest" score where a 5 means mediocre/shallow but still passable for what it is.

While this is true, it's also mitigated from the fact that you can simply click the game's name and read the reviews and it becomes apparent if they're judging the game unfairly or not. I don't really think it's unfair, for example, to point out that there's 87,461 twin-stick shooters with zombie themes on Steam and there's no one earth who benefits from playing all of them.

Card Boy

Banned
I got no issue looking at metascores, there is too much out there and I wll never get to play everything in my
life, so I may aswell just play the 'best'. I have no time for turds.

Yaska

I usually tend to read reviews after playing. Just happened to notice that one game's metacritic score was 48 or so. Still, I think I'll return to my epic quest for BBQ in Sword and Soldiers HD.

I got no issue looking at metascores, there is too much out there and I wll never get to play everything in my
life, so I may aswell just play the 'best'. I have no time for turds.

There are quite a lot of high scoring games one can consider turds. :)

Metacritic is useful for avoiding the worst, those with an average under 70. Anything above it, and it´s to much a matter of taste for metacritic to have any purpose.

MRORANGE

Made a Bundle OT thread

EjB1T.png

A central thread for current and upcoming Indie Bundles.
know about a upcoming bundle? post here!

j5uFA.png

Indie Royale Ninja Lightning Pack

- Ancients of Ooga (Steamworks | Desura)
- Cloning Clyde (Steamworks | Desura)
- A Kingdom for Keflings (Steamworks | Desura)
- Outpost Kaloki (Steamworks | Desura)
- Band of Bugs (Desura)

The Humble Bundle for Android 2

- Swords & Soldiers (Steamworks | DRM free)
- Canabalt (Steamworks | DRM free)
- Zen Bound 2 (Steamworks | DRM free)
- Cogs (Steamworks | DRM free)
- Avadon: The Black Fortress (Steamworks | DRM free)

The Indie Gala III

- TRAPPED DEAD (Steamworks)
- GREED: BLACK BORDER (Steamworks)
- FUTURE WARS (Steamworks)
- GROTESQUE TACTICS (Steamworks)
- TWIN SECTOR (Steamworks)

TrQV2.png

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dungeon Defenders really like to download a lot of large files.

Yes, yes it does. I wonder what requires such massive downloads.

Anyway, do I play CS:GO now or wait for my new TV/Monitor thingy...hmm.

Edit: Also, Will get the Indie Gala 3 methinks, I don't have any of them I think.

Anyone else who bought the Fallout Collection having a problem running Fallout 1?

I'm on Windows 7 and the game seems to freeze after the small intro, right where it gets to Brian Fargo presents:

edit: Actually it seems to freeze after the opening introduction "war never changes" stuff.

Darkkn

Valve really needs to update their webkit(or whatever they use) engine. Steam feels so damn slow at times to render the pages. Browsing the Skyrim mods is painfully slow to do in Steam client. It's much faster to browse the workshop by Steam website using Chrome.

Steam client is just not as snappy as things should be these days[/rant].

Xanathus

I was on the fence on getting DS3 but apparently it's $2.50 more expensive in my region than in the US so fuck them. The amount doesn't matter to me but it's the proverbial slap in the face that counts.

ASilva

Neo Member
I was on the fence on getting DS3 but apparently it's $2.50 more expensive in my region than in the US so fuck them. The amount doesn't matter to me but it's the proverbial slap in the face that counts.

Its almost double the price where I live (9,99€)

zkylon

zkylewd
Anyone knows if there's a way to mod spiders out of DSIII? I played the demo and left pretty freaked out (that and the PC controls suck hard :p). I'm basing my purchase on exactly that.

MRORANGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom