• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sysgen

Fucking fail, UBI.

So I figured I was going to start the Assassin's Creed series. And because I don't have time for junk, I've decided to skip 1.

Launch AC 2. Patching. Through UBI. More patching. Even more patching. Get to the conclusion and "PATCHING FAILED, TRY AGAIN LATER".

Wow. I honestly thought this was one of the issues EA had with Steam. I wish Valve did outlaw this. Really? You won't let Steam handle this for you and then you can't do it yourself, UBI?

EDIT:

Go to register and "UBI Soft services are down for the moment."

Go fuck off. I'll play something else and remove the UBI games from my wishlist.

Got the same message and the game launched anyway. As for Servers not available check your firewall or if you're running peerblock get the "ubi allow list". The game is really good, don't give up.

1-D_FTW

Got the same message and the game launched anyway. As for Servers not available check your firewall or if you're running peerblock get the "ubi allow list". The game is really good, don't give up.

Only firewall I run is my router (Tomato firmware).

I'll be more persistent next time. The new winner on my Backlog list has been chosen and it's Bulletstorm. Pretty sad when Live is an improvement over Ubi's witches brew.

On the bright side, Bulletstorm is really pretty.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dungeon Siege 3 is divisive. I've read people in this thread calling it terrible and boring, yet people whose opinions I generally agree with and value accordingly say it can be a lot of fun, especially with a good co-op partner.
Word. If you don't know what a hack & slash is, you shouldn't hack & slash.

Eusis

Sooo.....instead of saving 30 bucks, you just wasted 10? ;)

Skipping the purchase myself. I´m not about to go buy mediocre/ok games when I still have great games to play.
I'd been waiting due to the Ultima mods myself. I WAS interested earlier on the basis of Obsidian developing, but as noted it seems to be basically an inverse of what they usually do.

UFRA

I thought I would ask this here, since I may have better luck than in the stupid questions thread...

Why does my Steam icon look like this?

I've tried re-installing it numerous times, and it is completely up-to-date. It runs as it should, but the icon just isn't showing up properly. After a fresh install, it shows up correctly for literally a few minutes, then suddenly goes to that default program icon.

I have Windows 7 Pro.

E6ThC.png

Truespeed

I thought I would ask this here, since I may have better luck than in the stupid questions thread...

What happens if you set the icon location manually via the properties option in the context menu? Also, have you always installed Steam at the same location or did you switch at some point?

Syril

Does anyone know if the Dungeon Siege 1 in this deal works with the Ultima V: Lazarus mod? It's pretty much the only reason I'd be interested.

Ken

I enjoyed DS3 on the 360 playing couch co-op. It's not the most complex game but it's fun.

I think it and the DLC are worth $9.

cicero

Does anyone know if the Dungeon Siege 1 in this deal works with the Ultima V: Lazarus mod? It's pretty much the only reason I'd be interested.

I am in the same boat as you, and from every comment I have seen while searching for an answer on forums etc, it does work.

Freezard

DS3 is better on consoles than on PC. It's not the traditional hack 'n slash it used to be; rather, it's more in style with Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and suits perfectly for playing two players locally.

It's definitely more focused on combat and story than the prequels, and less on the RPG part. You never get the feeling of getting stronger; the level ups does not make much sense, as the enemies scale to your level. Thus, the better equipment you find is actually just negating the enemies' stronger attributes (speaking of attributes, there are loads of them and you constantly have to check the menu to know what they do). You have hardly any skills to choose from, and they aren't very useful to upgrade. You sell items for 10% of their buying value, and you can find 10 gold in the first level as well as in the final level. Playing on Hard does not give you better loot.

Jeremy Soule is not the composer anymore, and I don't think a single song from the earlier games is used, not even the main theme. The new music is really just background music that is easily forgotten, save from a few tunes. The camera is pretty bad and you've basically no control over it.

I would still give it a 7/10, because the combat is actually really well done and doesn't get repetitive (although the game is not as long as previous entries). The story is also interesting and good enough to make you want to continue playing. Also, it's co-op after all, although to be sure to play locally because the online mode sucks. That's why it's not really suited for PC, and I'm not sure if I would play this game alone. I've not played the DLC, but it looks interesting.

Just a short review from a long time Dungeon Siege fan. If you're not into DS, I'm sure you won't be as disappointed, and the original DS is still really great :)

Kientin

Ugh was really tempted to get the Dungeon Siege pack but no expansion for the first game is a dealbreaker for me since all I want out of this is a digital replacement for the first game.

The_End

I didn't see this posted. You can get more free Faerie Solitaire keys for a while according to this post:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/rdgsu/giving_3_steam_keys_per_pm_for_faerie_solitaire/

You need to have a Reddit account older than 24 hours. I just tried it and it was still working. Even quicker than the huge steamgifts giveaway!

Thanks. I sent them a PM to get a key the other day, but they never sent me anything. I guess I'll try again.

Edit: Success this time. Got my keys within a minute. Apparently they still have over 30,000 keys.

I googled ds3 steam not knowing what people were talking about. First result was the steam page, titled 50% off. Went to the page, it's currently 75% off. Oh, Valve. You really want my business don't you?

Freezard

This makes absolutely no sense. There isn't a single feature in the console version missing on the PC.

Well it's a couch co-op game, so it's better suited to consoles because most people don't have large TV:s connected to their PC:s and all that. If you play solo then yeah, you might as well get the PC version.

DrPirate

Banned
Wow. I am loving the shit out of DE3:HR.

Just...wow. Love everything about the style, the gameplay, the graphics, the feel, everything.

What a game...

Blizzard

Banned
I can understand the reasoning if you have a TV and a console already connected to it, and you don't want to hook up your PC to that. It's convenient to use the setup you already have. He admitted you might as well get the PC version if you play single-player.

goober

Well it's a couch co-op game, so it's better suited to consoles because most people don't have large TV:s connected to their PC:s and all that. If you play solo then yeah, you might as well get the PC version.

I knew that's what the response was going to be.

Anyway, thinking about picking this set up. I know it's been said that it doesn't come with the expansions.

What would I need to get to be able to actually complete the Dungeon Siege set?

cicero

I knew that's what the response was going to be.

Anyway, thinking about picking this set up. I know it's been said that it doesn't come with the expansions.

What would I need to get to be able to actually complete the Dungeon Siege set?

You would need the standalone expansion pack Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna for DS1, and Dungeon Siege II: Broken World ($3.99) for DS2. There are various editions of Dungeon Siege: Legends of Aranna, so you might want to search on Amazon for the best deal before buying via the link I provided.

You're jokes are like mine where it's hard for people to tell if you're messing around or not. I like it.

confused

Banned

This shit should be bannable in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom