• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

So I see that guy has been posted. Holy shit. He even got tradable gifts for the ones he already has. :( AND A HYDRA CONTROLLER.

Vastag

Once again ubisoft online services are down, such a bullshit DRM. Never buying again a ubi game that requires uplay, I'm done with it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Once again ubisoft online services are down, such a bullshit DRM. Never buying again a ubi game that requires uplay, I'm done with it.

Good decision: You hear that people? Don't buy fucking Ubi games if you love PC gaming.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Good decision: You hear that people? Don't buy fucking Ubi games if you love PC gaming.

People will be back like peasants for the next AC game. It's BS but what you can do is ignore their BS anti consumer DRM and not buy their games. Oh and their client just got updated too. Thank God for that :/

1-D_FTW

So I see that guy has been posted. Holy shit. He even got tradable gifts for the ones he already has. :( AND A HYDRA CONTROLLER.

Wow. That is awesome. And to think I purposely used up all my tickets because I didn't want the mess of games I didn't want.

Not like I would have won. But a Hydra and trade-able gifts for duplicates is far beyond what I thought they'd do. Just hope the guy doesn't have to pay taxes, though, or it still won't be worth it.

Wow. That is awesome. And to think I purposely used up all my tickets because I didn't want the mess of games I didn't want.

Not like I would have won. But a Hydra and trade-able gifts for duplicates is far beyond what I thought he'd have to do. Just hope the guy doesn't have to pay taxes, though, or it still won't be worth it.

Valve provided him with a form he as to fill out, they will pay the taxes. (From the 4chan thread)

You're in luck. I have a 66 percent off Two Worlds 2 coupon I won't be using anytime soon. If you want it add me to Steam and I'll send it your way. Heading to bed now PM me your steam info and I'll add you tomorrow.

Why did I not think of seeing if anyone had a coupon! Curses!

Ive got a 50% off Strangers wrath and Alien Swarm 2 and 25% off valve if anyone wants them.

But retail is still alive and kicking in most of Europe, so there is less of a need for Steam. Without data, I wouldn't draw any conclusions.
Retail is fucked here in Ireland. The PC section is basically The Sims section. I'm guessing the UK is fairly similar with mainland europe having a much healthier retail PC industry.

Retail is fucked here in Ireland. The PC section is basically The Sims section. I'm guessing the UK is fairly similar with mainland europe having a much healthier retail PC industry.

UK PC sections in stores is poor. HMV don't stock PC games anymore and only maintain a chart that has 2/3 copies of the game.

GAME don't restock back cat.

Kabouter

Yes, I think it's mainly continental Europe where PC retail is still doing relatively well. More so in the North than in the South as well.

Kabouter

In terms of video game sales, the UK seems to be america-lite more than anything.

I think that might not necessarily be limited to video game sales ;). But yes, British video game preferences seem to line up more with American tastes than continental video game preferences do. At least they still buy Football Manager though, so quality gaming is clearly still popular.

1-D_FTW

Rifling through the Eidos forums trying to find the reason for the crappy framerate in Deus Ex has me completely against buying any Eidos Montreal games in the future. Man it seems like the game is a mess.

And, yeah, I've tried pretty much all I can. For some reason, it's red-lining one CPU core no matter what settings I use. Should be able to run it cranked, but even if I turn it down to 720P and turn all the sliders to shit quality, I still get a CPU core redlined. It's the reason I get so many frequent crashes in the framerate.

Judging by the forums, patches actually worsed things for many people. People who originally had no issues, later had issues created with patches. Wonder if I would have ran well originally.

I don't think he would owe nearly that much, I doubt that all the games on steam cost north of 1 million.

do we know the avg. price of games on steam?

Previous page.

According to the steam calculator his account is now worth $18914.89 USD...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So I just wrapped up Rochard, here are some thoughts:
  • I loved the art-style. They used a pastel-cartoon style that works really well with the environments and they pack in a good amount of visual variety. The color-grading is fantastic.
  • The game is a great showcase for the Unity Engine. Performance is rock solid and there are a lot of well-used visual effects. The only downside is the lack of anti-aliasing options, beyond FXAA/SMAA.
  • The controls feel really tight on the 360 pad and the final boss is a great example of this. Moving through the environment is a real pleasure.
  • The puzzles are interesting, though they never got as deep as I would have liked them to. There is some great potential shown with some of the laser puzzles, but the game never takes it any further. Still, they are satisfying to work through and there are none that poorly balanced in terms of difficulty.
  • The story is light-hearted and pleasant enough. The voice work is solid and the characters are fun.
  • The only real issue I had with the game was that the combat feels a little BS at times. Enemies can shoot at you from off screen sometimes and they throw you into a couple scenarios that are pretty much guaranteed to kill you the first time, taking you back to a checkpoint.
All in all, I had a really good time with the game. The in-game counter showed a completion time of roughly 5.5 hours and it definitely was solid content the whole way through. Easily worth the 10$.

Screens:

rochard2012-01-0712-1o9j3u.png

rochard2012-01-0422-5kojvy.png

rochard2012-01-0712-2evj55.png

2 and a half hours into qube and now I'm pretty pissed at it.

Everything was going so well. I loved it. Was going to say it was totally worth the 13 bucks. I was amazed how certain physics seemed to work so well and didn't totally mess up the puzzle... And then I hit a puzzle that I can't beat, not because I don't know how to, but because the physics fuck me over every single god damn time. I know where the blocks are supposed to be qube, you're just not letting them slide into the little blocks I made for them goddammit. They sorta get stuck in places. The puzzle takes forever (or at least the solution that I figured out that worked, or at least SHOULD work) so when I reset because the one block got hitched it's a total waste of time and makes me never want to touch the game again. Argh. I'll try again on that ONE puzzle tonight and if it screws me again I'm deleting it. The game was so much fun too :(

Dascu

So I just wrapped up Rochard, here are some thoughts:
  • I loved the art-style. They used a pastel-cartoon style that works really well with the environments and they pack in a good amount of visual variety. The color-grading is fantastic.
  • The game is a great showcase for the Unity Engine. Performance is rock solid and there are a lot of well-used visual effects. The only downside is the lack of anti-aliasing options, beyond FXAA/SMAA.
  • The controls feel really tight on the 360 pad and the final boss is a great example of this. Moving through the environment is a real pleasure.
  • The puzzles are interesting, though they never got as deep as I would have liked them to. There is some great potential shown with some of the laser puzzles, but the game never takes it any further. Still, they are satisfying to work through and there are none that poorly balanced in terms of difficulty.
  • The story is light-hearted and pleasant enough. The voice work is solid and the characters are fun.
  • The only real issue I had with the game was that the combat feels a little BS at times. Enemies can shoot at you from off screen sometimes and they throw you into a couple scenarios that are pretty much guaranteed to kill you the first time, taking you back to a checkpoint.
All in all, I had a really good time with the game. The in-game counter showed a completion time of roughly 5.5 hours and it definitely was solid content the whole way through. Easily worth the 10$.

Screens:
Beat it this afternoon as well, and I generally agree with all of your comments. The puzzles never really get very complex, which is a shame. Maybe they should've added in some extra challenge maps. As for the enemies: Yeah, they often shoot you a lot off-screen, and I did die because of that a few times. Still, the checkpoints are frequent enough that it never bothered me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
2 and a half hours into qube and now I'm pretty pissed at it.

Everything was going so well. I loved it. Was going to say it was totally worth the 13 bucks. I was amazed how certain physics seemed to work so well and didn't totally mess up the puzzle... And then I hit a puzzle that I can't beat, not because I don't know how to, but because the physics fuck me over every single god damn time. I know where the blocks are supposed to be qube, you're just not letting them slide into the little blocks I made for them goddammit. They sorta get stuck in places. The puzzle takes forever (or at least the solution that I figured out that worked, or at least SHOULD work) so when I reset because the one block got hitched it's a total waste of time and makes me never want to touch the game again. Argh. I'll try again on that ONE puzzle tonight and if it screws me again I'm deleting it. The game was so much fun too :(

There is a good chance that you are solving the puzzle wrong if that's the case.

There is a good chance that you are solving the puzzle wrong if that's the case.

Nope. The blocks get caught on the edges of walls and don't slide the proper distance. I even looked up a walkthrough on youtube. He solved in a few less steps than my way did but when I tried to do it his way the blocks don't move right :/ His slide in perfectly and mine get caught on shitty unreal physics :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nope. The blocks get caught on the edges of walls and don't slide the proper distance. I even looked up a walkthrough on youtube. He solved in a few less steps than my way did but when I tried to do it his way the blocks don't move right :/ His slide in perfectly and mine get caught on shitty unreal physics :(

Can you post the link? I'm curious what puzzle it was.

Can you post the link? I'm curious what puzzle it was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTaYgXdmP4 qube spoilers obviously.

At around the 7 min mark. Looking at the comments, I'm not the only one.

Spoilers about a puzzle before that one (Sector 4 or 5 I believe):
I was really impressed with the ball that rolls down the hallway and fits through holes. I never ever had a problem with those puzzles. Every way I thought to do something it just worked. I thought it was great. And now I ran into this one. I really hope later tonight it just works the first time and I forget about that puzzle.

A screenshot too. http://i.imgur.com/WdCR5.jpg It won't go in. No matter how hard I try.

Anyone else been getting shitty Steam download speeds since the sale? Speeds used to hit 8MB/s but since the sale it's been at most 4MB/s. I tried changing servers to Ukraine and Sweden, but speeds are around the same as the London server. Hopefully this sorts itself out.

Kerub

Banned
So I've got a bunch of coupons clogging up my inventory.

75 % off Empire TW, 33 % off Valve games 25 % of Bethesda etc

Anybody want them?

gdt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom