• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Quick question: If you submit an email question to steam support, how long does it usually take them to respond?

Lead & Gold is an awesome game, the community is also dead. If you have a group of people to play with and against, get it.

QUBE looks pretty interesting. I'll definitely check out the dmeo.

Just last page I was talking about how I never used demos anymore...

Qube looks really cool, but for 12 bucks I gotta have something push me over the fence, especially with my backlog. I suppose I'll do the demo!

I just played my first X-COM game ever, UFO Defense.

I basically had no idea what I was doing. Figured out most of the buttons I guess. I have no idea what any of the equipment actually does or what is worthwhile to even use.
Brought an alien corpse from the first mission into my lab and researched it. Died on the second mission since aliens were hiding in a farmhouse and I suck at strategy games.

I want to figure out most of it on my own, still, any tips (general strategy) for a total beginner?

This strategy may seem immoral but bear with me.

the first step is to take a look at your soldiers' stats. Take note of the ones with high accuracy ratings, high bravery or initiative (i forget the exact stat) and make sure you take good care of them. No need to sack the incompetent soldiers, just use them as shields when entering ufos or turning blind corners. Keep your ace soldiers protected and let them make the killing shots, pretty soon after a few missions you'll see them rise in the ranks and their skills will steadily improve. Also, research laser rifles. They're inexpensive, don't have ammo, and, in the hands of a good soldier, quite accurate. It's a good idea to research lasers early on. the laser rifle should sustain you through the early or even middle of a game.

coopolon

wow I can't believe AOE3 is a top seller. It's as if weekend deal guarantees top sales despite the actual value of the deal.

I imagine right now is not a high volume time for Steam: no new releases, everyone just emptied their bank accounts on the Xmas sale (and Xmas in general). So it doesn't surprise me that a promoted game from a respected franchise that is a new release on the platform with a big 50% off tag is selling better than anything else.

StuBurns

Banned
I got a fiber optic connection today, and the online speed things confirm about a four fold increase in speed, but Steam is downloading no quicker at all, do I need to change something on there?

I got a fiber optic connection today, and the online speed things confirm about a four fold increase in speed, but Steam is downloading no quicker at all, do I need to change something on there?

Change your country a bunch till you end up on something like Ukraine.

DSmalls84

wow I can't believe AOE3 is a top seller. It's as if weekend deal guarantees top sales despite the actual value of the deal.

I have wanted to play it for a while but never picked it up because it wasnt on Steam. So far I have resisted solely based on the fact that some of you got it for 10 cents...hope I make it through the weekend.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

I actually wouldn't mind buying it. It's the price that's killing me (should be less than 20 bucks, 10 bucks tops).

I wonder if this means AoM being available in Steam in the future though.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
+1 for Qube. Give the demo a shot, it's a really great game.

If anybody has an amazon promo credit to give, I have a copy of Zombie Atom Smasher or HL2 I'll gift.

I think it'd be kind of hard for someone to give it to you. It automatically gets applied to the account, I believe.

TGMIII

I know it's only out but anyone bought and played much of QUBE. Seems interesting but the demo didn't really sell me.

Relax.MX

This is become very annoying, i start a second run on The Witcher 2, but the game reinstall Microsof.NET framework 4(on Repair) every time...is my GOTY but really the steam version is crap...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nah, they're talking about the driver thing. It's supposed to be above the backup option. Nvidia card here and I still have it (though it's quite useless since it just redirects me to the Nvidia driver site)

Ah, right. Makes you wonder why nvidia haven't jumped on the train.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
This is become very annoying, i start a second run on The Witcher 2, but the game reinstall Microsof.NET framework 4(on Repair) every time...is my GOTY but really the steam version is crap...

There should be a "redist" folder in the game directory and you can just delete the MS .Net installer in there to prevent it from trying to do that every time.

Im_Special

Little random fact, Steam doubled the amount of content delivered in 2011 vs. 2010, serving over 780 Petabytes of data to gamers around the world.

That's massive, next year will probably double that.

Yeah and it looks like to me over the Christmas period the number of users on Steam increased by about 1 million per day during all time period during the day - THAT's massive.

Unfortunately for me, I can't seem to log in to Steam right now and hence I cannot play any of my games... this is really giving me a bad day :/

Damn, Bioshock 2 sucks. I gave it to my brother as a birthday present and he can't even play it.

The game crashes every single time, when he's trying to log in GFWL or when he managed to make it to the game.

Does anyone know any solution? :(

Just finished the Q.U.B.E. demo, very short (<10 min) but also very sweet. Gives you a good taste of simple puzzles and leaves you waiting for more. It's a 370 MB download, I fully recommend giving it a try!

First demo I've played on Steam since they gave a ticket for trying one during the Summer Camp :lol

1-D_FTW

Damn, Bioshock 2 sucks. I gave it to my brother as a birthday present and he can't even play it.

The game crashes every single time, when he's trying to log in GFWL or when he managed to make it to the game.

Does anyone know any solution? :(

Do you have any other GFWL games? Do they work?

I almost remember having this issue in the past (different game) and it turns out I had to download and install some Live patch from MS' site to correct the issue.

Do you have any other GFWL games? Do they work?

I almost remember having this issue in the past (different game) and it turns out I had to download and install some Live patch from MS' site to correct the issue.

Yes. I currently have installed Batman: AA, Dirt 3 and Fallout 3 and have no problems with those games.

I'm pretty sure it's a GFWL thing. I have been trying to log in and I can't.

I already tried re-installing GFWL twice, and the game is still crashing. I'm actually thinking in asking for a refund, but I know that's not going to work :/

Well, I'm off to see The Muppets now. I'll be back in some hours. Thanks btw.

Arg... this Steam thing still can't work it out, still can't connect, I'm up to uninstalling Steam and about to restart and reinstall, have completely wiped all trace of Steam from my computer... fark me.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Arg... this Steam thing still can't work it out, still can't connect, I'm up to uninstalling Steam and about to restart and reinstall, have completely wiped all trace of Steam from my computer... fark me.

You're not running freys or anything are you? And what's it actually doing?

Fou-Lu

Too bad, I'll try to get a coupon then, if not I may grab the Gamer's Gate deal. The only thing I have worth anything to trade with is a 33% off Bethesda coupon though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom