• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
If there's two things about Mount & Blade Warband that I can tell to anyone that wants to play the game, here they are:

1) Enlist Vaegir dudes and train them to be Knights. You can beat, on open field, an army 3 times your size easily with Vaegir Knights. (I'd throw some Nord Infantary in your army, 50/50, to balance in case things go south).

2) Join some (any) faction for the beginning of the game, until you can raid Castles by yourself (usually that happens when you can have an army of 100 soldiers) and you have the Right to Rule (it's a message that shows up on your log. More information here: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Right_to_rule ). The moment you're comfortable and have the right to rule, renounce your king, attack some jarls of some faction (maybe not the only you were affiliated with, since everybody likes you there), and capture a Castle. You'll become a ruler of a new faction. Then just capture more stuff and give them castles/villages to Jarls of your kindgom (you can even use those Fiefs to bring those Jarls that liked you on the other faction). Keep everybody happy and enjoy a smooth sailing.

... I guess you should also install Diplomacy (http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=1887), a kickass mod that adds more options and makes everything easier. Also, going to every main city in the beginning of the game (where not that much people hate you yet) and buying shops/factories (Dyeworks, Tannery, Meadery...) is a good thing: Endless income during the rest of the game, even when you're not associated with anybody.

Edit: And if you need money (for those shops/factories), don't be afraid to loot/plunder villages that your faction is at war against. Every village has valuables (silk, honey, leather) that can't be bought and only show up when you plunder it. Those sell for big coins on any big city.

zkylon

zkylewd
So what sort of game is Mount and Blade like? TES?
It's a hard game to pin to a genre, but it basically in singleplayer you have two modes: the first consists of large battles, focused mostly on melee and ranged combat, with some hints of strategy (you can give commands to your troops, separated between archers, infantry, cavalry, etc.), and then there's another mode in which you move in an overhead map, managing your troops, your feud, visit towns, etc., and eventually enter combat with other factions.

I can't think of any games like it, to be honest. Nothing like TES, that's for sure.

edit. I second drizzle's suggestion of installing the Diplomacy mod. It's a must-have that basically adds a little more depth to some of the systems in the game, like managing your feuds and being the kingdom's sheriff and stuff. It also adds some nice things like letting you talk directly to the town elders after you meet them for the first time, instead of having to physically travel through town to find them. Such a time saving feature...

PaulLFC

Oh great. Wondered why my internet was going slow, I check Steam and MW3 has resumed its forced download from yesterday, and has downloaded 10 gigs for no apparent reason, despite not even being installed. Fantastic.

Firehead

Hrm... doesn't seem like it's possible to invite people to a multi-person private chat? At least, I can't seem to find a way to do so anymore.

Relax.MX

Someone attempt to defraud my debit card :( I had to freeze my account I need help to buy warband and I return the money on Monday or Tuesday By paypal

1-D_FTW

Oh great. Wondered why my internet was going slow, I check Steam and MW3 has resumed its forced download from yesterday, and has downloaded 10 gigs for no apparent reason, despite not even being installed. Fantastic.

What?! That sounds horrible. What kind of bug is that, Gaben?

Have you tried deleting the ClientRegistry.blob yet?

Dizzy-4U

Where did Blades of Time come from? Is that an X-Blades sequel or something?
It's waaaay better than X-Blades but still a pretty mediocre game imo. It has some interesting mechanics like having multiple main characters at the same time thanks to the rewind factor, but I wouldn't say it's worth 40 dollars.

I personally enjoyed it but I have a soft spot for c-tier games and will buy it again for PC when the price drops.

It's waaaay better than X-Blades but still a pretty mediocre game imo. It has some interesting mechanics like having multiple main characters at the same time thanks to the rewind factor, but I wouldn't say it's worth 40 dollars.

I personally enjoyed it but I have a soft spot for c-tier games and will buy it again for PC when the price drops.

Will check out when it's cheaper. It looks quite interesting... I love the character's VA, that voice...

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hmmm so it seems to be many genres into one then? Sorta like Suikoden where you have RPG and SRPG elements?

AndyD

aka andydumi
So everyone is recommending warband? What about the full pack or the expansion to the standard? I own and played the original and loved it.

mannerbot

So everyone is recommending warband? What about the full pack or the expansion to the standard? I own and played the original and loved it.

Warband and With Fire and Sword are both stand-alone expansions, with Warband expanding directly on the original Mount and Blade and rendering it obsolete. The new DLC, Napoleonic Wars, is for and requires Warband.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmmm so it seems to be many genres into one then? Sorta like Suikoden where you have RPG and SRPG elements?
Yup, it's heavy on the action and RPG parts, and it treads very lightly into the strategy genre ala Total War.

If you can separate the great game from its dull graphics, you'll be set.

With Fire and Sword is decent, but nowhere as good and content-rich as Warband, specially modded. I'd recommend it only to veteran Warband fans that just want to spice things up a bit.

If you just got started with the original, it makes sense to get it, but if you've already played it a lot, there's no sense getting Warband. It's not that different.

Aselith

With Fire and Sword is not very good and Warband is essentially the base game +. I'd save the extra few bucks.

mannerbot

If you just got started with the original, it makes sense to get it, but if you've already played it a lot, there's no sense getting Warband. It's not that different.

This is an odd thing to say considering the original didn't even have multiplayer and one of the strengths of the franchise is the mod support, with the vast majority of it devoted to Warband.

Sysgen

Warband and With Fire and Sword are both stand-alone expansions, with Warband expanding directly on the original Mount and Blade and rendering it obsolete. The new DLC, Napoleonic Wars, is for and requires Warband.

Are there not mods that are still only compatible with the original?

This is an odd thing to say considering the original didn't even have multiplayer and one of the strengths of the franchise is the mod support, with the vast majority of it devoted to Warband.
Sure, the mod support is good for both games. They're mainly a lot of skins, which is neat at best. I feel the same way about the multiplayer, as I've said before. It's novel but it's not deep. I mean, it's only $5 so whatever, I'm just saying, I mainly enjoyed the base game and that did not change much to Warband.

Joe Molotov

Sure, the mod support is good for both games. They're mainly a lot of skins, which is neat at best. I feel the same way about the multiplayer, as I've said before. It's novel but it's not deep. I mean, it's only $5 so whatever, I'm just saying, I mainly enjoyed the base game and that did not change much to Warband.

Have you ever played cRPG?

Nabs

Meh, I won't support Codemasters making Dirt games focused on modes I mostly despise for anymore than 15$.

Dirt 4 better be 100% rally/trailblazing if gymkhana can get it's own spinoff.

Nah brah. Dirt 4 is going to be 80% gymkhana, 10% rally and 10% annoying menu system.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So this is like... taking everything that sucks about Dirt TO THE MAX.

Does this mean Dirt is going its own way and we'll get a new Colin McRae?

Nah brah. Dirt 4 is going to be 80% gymkhana, 10% rally and 10% annoying menu system.

It sucks that the franchise has gradually moved away from what made it awesome.

The original had an amazing, stylish UI, which was thrown out and replaced with the pointlessly cumbersome UI in Dirt 2, not to mention the "duuuude, look at all this Monster advertising! Totally wicked, brah!". 3 fixed some of these issues, but...

...now we have Gymkhana, which is just annoying. It's ok for a sideshow, I guess, but I hated having to enter those events because they didn't really feel fun to me. And now this is the focus. It's like they don't know what made Dirt/Colin McCrae great in the first place...

Aselith

I was prepared to throw my life back into a M&B: Warband campaign with this Napoleon expansion but it's custom battle/ multiplayer only. :/ Fucking laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmme.

SparkTR

I was prepared to throw my life back into a M&B: Warband campaign with this Napoleon expansion but it's custom battle/ multiplayer only. :/ Fucking laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaammmme.

Get With Fire & Sword if you want some musket campaign action. The Napoleon multiplayer is as epic as they come.

Aselith

Get With Fire & Sword if you want some musket campaign action. The Napoleon multiplayer is as epic as they come.

WF&S doesn't hold a candle to Warband. The way the single player and unit progression is set up is really boring. :( Ah well, I downloaded some singleplayer mods to try.

What does this mean:

Dear Steam User,
This is an automated message generated by Steam account administration. It is being sent in response to a query made by a Steam user to discover all account names associated with this email address.

Someone trying to hack into my account? :|

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Why do you make me like this Nabs?

1579594_ovayse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom