• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

If you have Half Life: Episode 2, there's a Source mod called Nightmare House 2. I think it's pretty fun and there's quite a few scares to be had.

I was really interested in that when I heard it being talked about on Giant Bomb. Then I found out it needs Episode 2, which might be the only Valve made game that I don't own. I really need to pick it up next time that it's on sale. I kept holding on to my 50% off coupon after the holidays thinking I'd be able to double dip with a sale, but forgot to use it on the last day when it didn't happen.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
They're not too far removed from Amnesia (same dev, same style of game), but the Penumbra series is worth a look. I still need to finish up the first one, but it's really spooky and atmospheric and the sequels are supposed to be even better.

If there are any other good, real horror games on Steam, I'd love to know as well.

Penumbra series.

Already played and beaten the Penumbra games. Thanks though!

If you have Half Life: Episode 2, there's a Source mod called Nightmare House 2. I think it's pretty fun and there's quite a few scares to be had.

Going to try this out.

Where's my Horror genre, Steam? :(

Gvaz

Banned
As promised, some Blades of Time screenshots:

It's an ok port. One of the big issues the 360 game had was the framerate and of course it runs super smooth on PC. Config options

For those using SLI, set the sli compatibility bits to 0x02402005 (which is the same as X-Blades).

Also, there is no v-sync option, though the tearing is not that bad. DON'T FORCE IT THROUGH THE DRIVERS, it will make the game run like ass.

LOL xblades carbon copy. I was right. Jesus christ even the design is the same.

Woot, I finally won a public giveaway. Only took 800+ Entries :D

Can you tell me if you've won? The key should show up on your WON page.

I sent the keys to the admin of the site where he told me to send it hours ago, but he never responded to verify if he actually added them

Tomodachi

Where's my Horror genre, Steam? :(
I know it sounds weird but you could try Puzzle Agent, the first one. In the dark, at night, loud headphones, it can be really creepy at times. It's an interesting experience if you're interested in horror, really.

Also, dark fall? scratches? midnight mysteries (not really horror tough)? they are the firsts that come into mind but I must say I never actually played any of them (own them all though), lol.

But yeah, nowadays there really is a lack of pure horror games, and that's a shame, given the technical progresses they've made.

chixdiggit

In general I'm a big believer of not judging something before you experienced it but once in a while something comes along that defies belief.

Revelations 2012 showed up on Steam, release is in 2days.

Waiting for this will be the longest two days ever.

Edit: The games website is it's Steam store page...odd. It also has 237 people in it's Steam group.... really odd.

Blizzard

Banned
Any suggestions for horror games that aren't Amnesia?
I don't know how good they are, but you might want to consider Scratches (and any related games), Silent Hill (Homecoming?), Call of Cthulhu (if it works properly on your computer, I think it had a problem with my 4850), Metro 2033, Alan Wake, The Darkness II, The Path, Cryostasis.

mrgone

I don't know how good they are, but you might want to consider Scratches (and any related games), Silent Hill (Homecoming?), Call of Cthulhu (if it works properly on your computer, I think it had a problem with my 4850), Metro 2033, Alan Wake, The Darkness II, The Path, Cryostasis.

Oh crap, there are issues with Call of Cthulhu on modern systems? I was hoping to sink my teeth into that one sometime.

gdt

I'm playing Psychonauts right now, loving it. Just need some help.

Right after Lungfishtopia,
I have to go into the guard's mind. Well, I don't have a cob web duster, and Cruller says I need one for the next level. I'm not anywhere close to having enough money for it either. What to do?

Oh, and I'm not getting the greatest performance. Seems like I get FPS drops pretty often. It's a bit choppy. Is that just how the game plays on modern machines?

Hope so. That thing is broken.

Seriously. Fuck the cloud. Mine filled up and just stopped saving my game instead of deleting my oldest save like it's supposed to. So I turned off the cloud and that worked for a while. Then suddenly the game stopped seeing my saves, even though I could see them on my hard drive still. I turned the cloud back on and it put them onto the cloud and loaded them fine. Forgot to turn it back off, and again my cloud filled up and failed to delete my old saves. There's no beating the cloud.

ArjanN

I'm playing Psychonauts right now, loving it. Just need some help.

Right after Lungfishtopia,
I have to go into the guard's mind. Well, I don't have a cob web duster, and Cruller says I need one for the next level. I'm not anywhere close to having enough money for it either. What to do?

Oh, and I'm not getting the greatest performance. Seems like I get FPS drops pretty often. It's a bit choppy. Is that just how the game plays on modern machines?

Buy the detector from the store that lets you find way more arrowheads.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
True but it was still an uncharacteristically slow response from a developer known for their good post release support.

Employee 1: "The 2.0 patch for The Witcher 2 seems to have broken the Steam Overlay in only the Steam version of the game. Should we push through a quick patch to fix it?"
Employee 2: "We'll just make our Steam customers wait almost seven months for the Enhanced Edition."

:p

In general I'm a big believer of not judging something before you experienced it but once in a while something comes along that defies belief.

Revelations 2012 showed up on Steam, release is in 2days.

Here is the trailer of the game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTc7ZPMxFak
It's hard to tell if this is supposed to be a joke, an early 90s gaming spoof or serious.
use.

That was an amazing trailer. I especially enjoyed the studios name, darkatZentertainment, and its radical logo.

hym

Banned
That was an amazing trailer. I especially enjoyed the studios name, darkatZentertainment, and its radical logo.

Oh dear I didn't even pay attention to that, yeh this is quite something, I would have figured Ubisoft copyrighted the word Artz by now, together with Babyz and Petz.

Blue_Logo.png

This game preview makes it even more surreal http://validgaming.com/revelations-2012/
Parts of the game like unique artwork or points of interest that relate to Mayan culture may go over many uninformed gamers head unless prompted.

I'm totally one of them.

MNC

The constant stream of Witcher 2 media makes me want to drop every other game and just purchase/play Witcher 2.

In other news, CS GO woop woop!

Just tried out DOTA 2 for the first time. Saying I have zero clue what I'm doing is an understatement. I coulnd't even figure out how to use the items I bought. Glad I was playing in a private game. Hope there are some youtube videos or something that give noob tips.

Just tried out DOTA 2 for the first time. Saying I have zero clue what I'm doing is an understatement. I coulnd't even figure out how to use the items I bought. Glad I was playing in a private game. Hope there are some youtube videos or something that give noob tips.
Check out the boots first part of the op in the dota 2 thread.

Being new myself at DOTA 2 I can only help you with the very basics. Like don't attack other teams heros and don't get killed in the early game. Attacking can be done in the right situations early game, but not by a new player. That is just going to get you killed.

Also, dont attack the creeps in the early game. Only get the last hits on them to kill them. When you are in range of creeps cancel your auto attacks and try to time it so you only land the last hits that kill the creeps. If you attack early along side your own creeps you unbalance the creep battle and it moves the "creep line" into the other teams territory. If that happens you will have to go into their territory to kill creeps making it more likely that the other team can easily gang up on you for early kills.

There is no set time in the match where it's time for you to go all out attacking the other teams creeps. You will just know when it's time. Since you are new just watch for when your teammates start doing it.

Eternia

Hoard is a fun little game with a few people. Should grab at least the Dynamite Roll DLC as well since it adds a decent number of maps and other goodies. The other one is just a graphical change to all the maps which is up to you if you believe is worth it or not. You'll be playing on these same maps a lot especially if you're after achievements/medals.

Megasoum

Banned
So, following last week's sale, I bought and started playing Rage... The game start really slow but once it starts picking up it's actually a lot of fun!

There's only one thing I don't get... It's actually a MAJOR gripe for me.... How the FUCK did id do a great shotgun like the one ingame and NOT make it pump action??? WTF. I get it's a semi-auto shotgun (which is great of course) so you wouldn't want to pump it between every shot. But why not have him pump once after putting a new clip? Ok I know it's a really stupid pet peave but come on Carmack! COME ON.

There's only one thing I don't get... It's actually a MAJOR gripe for me.... How the FUCK did id do a great shotgun like the one ingame and NOT make it pump action??? WTF. I get it's a semi-auto shotgun (which is great of course) so you wouldn't want to pump it between every shot. But why not have him pump once after putting a new clip? Ok I know it's a really stupid pet peave but come on Carmack! COME ON.

Pre-order bonus was a sawed off shotgun which was equally as fun to use and packed more 'punch'. I always felt it was a dick move to lock out an id Software game shotgun behind this pre-order bullshit but what can you do. Pump action could have been nice but I had no complaints about the semi auto we got in the game... best shotgun in a long time in my opinion... probably the best since Fear 1.

I reformatted my laptop recently and reinstalled STEAM. It says I am on a new computer and that an email was sent to verify. The email on my STEAM account was disabled awhile back and I can't receive that email. What do I do?

Volcynika

I reformatted my laptop recently and reinstalled STEAM. It says I am on a new computer and that an email was sent to verify. The email on my STEAM account was disabled awhile back and I can't receive that email. What do I do?

My first reaction is to contact Steam Support. Do you have receipts of purchases at your current email? May need those to prove who you are.

My first reaction is to contact Steam Support. Do you have receipts of purchases at your current email? May need those to prove who you are.

I already contacted them and no. What about credit card info? I got a ticket and don't know how long that will take. I've had my account for so long...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom