• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit: anyone interested in my extra Nation Red copy just shout. First quote gets it.

I'll take it if no one else does. I have a friend who raves about it for some reason, so let's see what it's about.

Yeah, the guns do feel great in FEAR 3.

Not as good as the first one.

5$ is ok for Fear 3 but it's not a very good game at all. Only reason I finished it is because I was playing co-op with a friend. No way I would have done so otherwise.'

edit - And it's short too. All of 6 hours long on hard difficulty.

Levyne

Banned
Man, Fear 3, Alan Wake, and Portal 2 all for good prices right now.

I love and hate that I have a gaming capable pc now :) :(

HoosTrax

Oh god, there are 255 Portal 2 test chambers in the Workshop already. Some of these look horrifying and evil.

Some of these look pretty complex -- I wonder how people managed to get them up so quickly. Have they been plotting designs in CAD waiting for the DLC to come out?

Deadstar

Head's up: I needed to install Gamefly client to get the F.E.A.R. 3 activation key for steam

Once you download the client, go to all games in my collection (left hand bar)
Then select list view and you will see "Get activation key" copy and paste that into steam.
Uninstall Gamefly.

You don't have to do this. If you go into your account and then to your purchase history it will show the serial number.

Gav47

Bah, Gamefly won't take my CC because the expiry date is 05/2012, even though its not expiring until the end of the month, bad checkout design.

zkylon

zkylewd
Can I have it for a friend? I already own it but there's someone I want to play it with.

Edit: I appreciate this is very cheeky, probably best to give it to someone it'll be new to.
I'll take it if no one else does. I have a friend who raves about it for some reason, so let's see what it's about.

Huh.

It was supposed to be a dibs-calling thing but with the friend situation made it difficult for me to decide so I just just did the coin flipper thingie on random.org (site has no argentine currency, so I used a brazilian real :p) and spindoctor won. I'll PM you about it :)

jediyoshi

Oh god, there are 255 Portal 2 test chambers in the Workshop already. Some of these look horrifying and evil.

Some of these look pretty complex -- I wonder how people managed to get them up so quickly. Have they been plotting designs in CAD waiting for the DLC to come out?

The tools to create custom maps for Portal 2 have been available for a long time now, loads of custom maps out outside of the workshop.

MasLegio

Banned
you dont think valve can keep your egg basket safe?

ALL HAIL THE GABEN

I would rather prefer to OWN my eggs instead of having a license to have them in my basket

GOG deal is still better for Europeans since prices on Steam has been fucked since the $=1€ implementation a few years ago

Huh.

It was supposed to be a dibs-calling thing but with the friend situation made it difficult for me to decide so I just just did the coin flipper thingie on random.org (site has no argentine currency, so I used a brazilian real :p) and spindoctor won. I'll PM you about it :)

Many thanks to this kind gentleman :)

I would rather prefer to OWN my eggs instead of having a license to have them in my basket

GOG deal is still better for Europeans since prices on Steam has been fucked since the $=1€ implementation a few years ago
Are you suggesting that games on Steam aren't owned when bought?

Technically they're not. Valve changed that licensing agreement long ago to tell you you're simply purchasing a subscription to a game.
Wow I'm in at over 100 Steam games and I never knew this (wouldn't have changed my love of Steam regardless).\

So in this licensing agreement, can valve revoke said "subscriptions" if they like?

In addition to the new content, Croteam and Devolver Digital will be making all Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter’s versus and survivor multiplayer modes free-to-play via Steam and available to download at no charge permanently starting May 15th. These free modes include Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Instant Kill, Last Man Standing, My Burden, Survival and Team Survival.

http://www.devolverdigital.com/post/22657836466

nexen

Wow I'm in at over 100 Steam games and I never knew this (wouldn't have changed my love of Steam regardless).\

So in this licensing agreement, can valve revoke said "subscriptions" if they like?

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

IANAL but these parts jump out at me:

Valve hereby grants, and you accept, a limited, terminable, non-exclusive license and right to use the Software for your personal use in accordance with this Agreement and the Subscription Terms. The Software is licensed, not sold. Your license confers no title or ownership in the Software.

2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

1-D_FTW

Never really read past the opening couple lines. I just noticed the major language change a number of years ago. Valve would lose all credibility if they randomly started revoking things from people's libraries. But nonetheless, it's an act of faith. Because they clearly changed the language to less comforting terms.

jediyoshi

Portal 2 map editor is amazing, a lot better than the standard Hammer editor:

You're still not going to be making anything resembling what was in the single player with it, unfortunately :p

http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

IANAL but these parts jump out at me:

2. In the case of a one-time purchase of a product license (e.g., purchase of a single game) from Valve, Valve may choose to terminate or cancel your Subscription in its entirety or may terminate or cancel only a portion of the Subscription (e.g., access to the software via Steam) and Valve may, but is not obligated to, provide access (for a limited period of time) to the download of a stand-alone version of the software and content associated with such one-time purchase.

Pretty sure this is standard legalese for any kind of subscription service.

fallout

IANAL, but I think this kind of stuff even applies to physical copies of games that you "own". That is, you own a license to play the physical copy of the game which you have. You do not actually own a copy of the game.

Can they? Technically. Will they? No. Also, such an SSA has yet to be challenged in court from my understanding. If anything Valve has become MORE pro consumer rights with their recent decision to cease locking one out from their purchased games when their is a billing issue.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Welp, bit on Alan Wake. Still have a round 55 in Steam funds which I need to cling to for dear life as I'm only buying stuff on sale.

Resonance, a point-and-click adventure by Wadget Eye Games (Blackwell series, publisher of Gemini Rue), is coming to Steam and pre-orders start soon. From the newsletter:

So if you haven't already heard me exclaim the news all over Twitter and Facebook, you're hearing it here: Resonance is coming to Steam.

This is very exciting news for us. We have other games on Steam, true, but this is the very first time that we've gotten accepted by them before launch. This allows us to plan out the Steam features ahead of time, instead of shoving them in later. Part of my job now is to put achievements into the game, and so far I've made 40 of them. I got a bit carried away. So suffice to say, if you are an achievement collector you will find a lot to keep you happy.

Oh, and the game is going up for pre-order next Thursday. I'll be breaking my bi-weekly newsletter schedule to make the official announcement.

HoosTrax

Resonance, a point-and-click adventure by Wadget Eye Games (Blackwell series, publisher of Gemini Rue), is coming to Steam and pre-orders start soon. From the newsletter:
Will this game be using AGS again :\? I really do not like that engine! It's 2012 now and it's nice to be able to play games at a semi-acceptable resolution and have my mouse cursor work in a smooth and predictable way.

AlexBasch

go go go It's very good. When you're finished you can play as fettel consuming souls and exploding bodies from within.
I know I know, "lol@fps game story", but would you recommend me to play the other FEAR games for story sake or are they separate other than a few characters or something?

HoosTrax

Jeff has a pretty interesting blog called The Bottom Feeder where he talks about indie game development related things.
The Bottom Feeder said:
Avernum: Escape From the Pit is doing well. It is old material. It's a rewrite of Avernum, which is itself a rewrite of Exile: Escape From the Pit. And yet, thanks to iTunes and Steam, it has already, in only a few months, earned as much as either of those titles earned in years and years. The revolutionary effect of Steam and iTunes on people trying to have my career simply cannot be understated. I'll blog about it soon.
I still feel kind of guilty about playing his shareware games as a kid and not having the money to buy them back then, so I'm happy to hear about his success.

I know I know, "lol@fps game story", but would you recommend me to play the other FEAR games for story sake or are they separate other than a few characters or something?

As a liker of the FEAR franchise, another wonderful gaffer gifted me this last game and I am loving it.

You will definitely appreciate the story more if you play the first two games, but this game has a decent storyline to get you acquainted with the characters at least. The plot line is basically bullshit anyway.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm happy to see things like the Avernums coming to Steam but they really hurt my eyes anymore. Also keeping my eye on Warlock impressions.

Edit: Done. Thanks Spin!

Relax.MX

FEAR 3 is mine...:) first time on GameFly for me, really easy(with a mexican debit card is a surprise..but now i need FEAR 2 XO

PD: Longshot...Someone had the first two games to trade? i already played the first one but i remember a very good shotgun slow motion fest

Tess3ract

Banned
FEAR 3 is mine...:) first time on GameFly for me, really easy(with a mexican debit card is a surprise..but now i need FEAR 2 XO

PD: Longshot...Someone had the first two games to trade? i already played the first one but i remember a very good shotgun slow motion fest
Wait for a 4th of july or big sale, it's been like 5-10 bucks before

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom