• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

vall03

I give up, I'll just get Cherry Tree High Comedy Club from Nyu-Media themselves. I really enjoyed the 30mins i got to play from my friend. If eXceed Collection still isn't up, I don't want to get my hopes up. I'll just maybe double-dip on the game whenever they get released on Steam... *sigh*

gabbo

Yeah, I had them disabled. It is not the first time this happens anyway.

I love GOG for DRM free games. Saved me a lot of bullshit.
Might be a stupid question, but is your Steam client up to date? I've gotten such errors when Steam needs to apply an update but hasn't notified me as such.

HoosTrax

I thought Escape from the Pit was a remake of 1-3.
It is not. Avernum: Escape from the Pit is a remake of Exile 1. I expect he'll release a game called "Avernum: Crystal Souls" as the remake of Exile 2 and so on.

Is Dream Machine a standard point-and-click adventure? Or does it have weird combat sequences? Oh wait, it's out already. I got confused and thought it was a pre-order.

coopolon

Yeah, I had them disabled. It is not the first time this happens anyway.

I love GOG for DRM free games. Saved me a lot of bullshit.

Offline mode works the same for me as well. I can only go offline if I am already online. But if my internet goes out unexpectedly, it is impossible for me to play any Steam games (except for the rare exceptions where the drm is not incorporated into the .exe.) I have tried every trick in the book including pulling out cables, turning off ethernet adapters, turning off wireless adapters, checking and unchecking boxes, etc. I'm not sure how common it is, but it's certainly not unheard of. This topic has come up multiple times both in the predecessors to this thread and other threads focused exclusively offline mode and multiple people have confirmed it behaves the same way for them. If you contact Steam to ask them why, they say it's working as it is supposed to.

And in reality, this is how Valve themselves say Steam offline mode is supposed to work.

Valve said:
Using Offline Mode on a PC.

Please follow the instructions below to configure Offline Mode on your PC:
Start Steam online - make sure the Remember my password box on the login window is checked
Verify that all game files are completely updated - you can see the update status for a game under the Library section (when the game shows as 100% - Ready it is ready to be played in Offline Mode)
Launch the game you would like to play offline to verify that there are no further updates to download - shut down the game and return to Steam once you have confirmed that the game can be played
Go to Steam > Settings to ensure the Don't save account credentials on this computer option is not selected
From the main Steam window, go to the Steam menu and select Go Offline
Click Restart in Offline Mode to restart Steam in Offline Mode

So it's not that it's broken for people like us, it's just that it works better than it should for others. Yay?

Burekma

So it's not that it's broken for people like us, it's just that it works better than it should for others. Yay?
Well, I wouldn't really word it like that. When internet goes down and I want to start Steam, I am greeted with the following message:

untitled-1zruza.png

The existence of that dialog box clearly shows that it should offer you to go into offline mode. I mean, someone had to put that code in so Valve clearly intended to make it work as it does for me.

However, it could be that they either can't or don't want to for some reason ensure this feature works on all computers 100% of the time, so they just avoid its existence and don't officially support it.

ZZMitch

Why would you pay now the price you could have paid 4 months and a half ago?

At this point, unless you really want to play Skyrim now, you should wait one month and a half more. A 40% or 50% discount would be likely on the first day of the summer sales.

I really wasn't interested in Skyrim until recently, so I haven't been following the discounts etc. I will wait though, still have to finish my second playthrough of Amalur.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I always see tf2 downloading a tf2 patch every week or so, but it always state's the game is still 10gb on my hard drive.

Yeah, the patches don't add to many new files total, but a lot of times they will include new version of maps or models, which ups the size of the patch while having little impact on the total game size.

MRORANGE

Yeah, the patches don't add to many new files total, but a lot of times they will include new version of maps or models, which ups the size of the patch while having little impact on the total game size.

ah ok, I guess it's only major updates when they show size changes, like the upcoming giant-robot/class update.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Avernums hurt my f*ing eyes. Seriously dudes, make it where I can see shit. I bought them to support games like this coming to Steam but I feel like I need prescription glasses.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Avernums hurt my f*ing eyes. Seriously dudes, make it where I can see shit. I bought them to support games like this coming to Steam but I feel like I need prescription glasses.

??? The screenshots make it seem like it's easy to view.

Also Avernum 6 is fine right?

xelios

I've played them, and they hurt my eyes more than Hack, Slash, Loot at little box size. So they're pretty bad in that respect. Also the radius at which you search for things on the ground is too small, and everything is too small to see. And I have wonderful eyesight. It's just a strain. The games themselves are good. (The only one I didn't like is where towns got destroyed fast because I felt pressured into rushing). Been a while since I played the earlier ones.

xelios

Huh...weird. I've never had a problem with the Avernum games before. You guys are choosing to change your display resolution, right?

Even Avadon had this issue for me, maybe it's just me but I did have a friend in GAF chat complain to me about the same issue and not being able to see things in the environment well (in Avadon). It's the reason I stopped playing that one (along with the barrage of generic dialogue).

Weren't you the one making the threads/posts for these games? What should I do with my resolution?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Even Avadon had this issue for me, maybe it's just me but I did have a friend in GAF chat complain to me about the same issue and not being able to see things in the environment well (in Avadon). It's the reason I stopped playing that one (along with the barrage of generic dialogue).

Weren't you the one making the threads/posts for these games?

Yeah, I don't think the Avernum trilogy needs a thread of its own, although I might bump the Escape from the Pit thread for it.

My only...suggestion I guess is that I don't really recall actually needing to make out fine details in the environment that much. I'm not sure what you're straining to see

xelios

Yeah, I don't think the Avernum trilogy needs a thread of its own, although I might bump the Escape from the Pit thread for it.

My only...suggestion I guess is that I don't really recall actually needing to make out fine details in the environment that much. I'm not sure what you're straining to see

Gear, potions, scrolls, various objects.. you can constantly do the search ground command I suppose, though the radius sucks. Also lockpicks in Avadon are basically invisible, but I found a fix to make them glow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Gear, potions, scrolls, various objects.. you can constantly do the search ground command I suppose, though the radius sucks. Also lockpicks in Avadon are basically invisible, but I found a fix to make them glow.
Ohhh yeah, I would never try to distinguish loot when its on the ground, I just walk around searching everything. It never honestly occurred to me that people did that.

Salsa

Feeling super disconnected from the new releases section lately. Looks like a long two weeks before MP3.

yeah i dont have the urge for anything.. maybe The Walking Dead

friend wants to sell me a cheap SFxTekken but im debating that ever since we got that Skullgirls announcement

vazel

Banned
Well, I wouldn't really word it like that. When internet goes down and I want to start Steam, I am greeted with the following message:

untitled-1zruza.png

The existence of that dialog box clearly shows that it should offer you to go into offline mode. I mean, someone had to put that code in so Valve clearly intended to make it work as it does for me.

However, it could be that they either can't or don't want to for some reason ensure this feature works on all computers 100% of the time, so they just avoid its existence and don't officially support it.
Steam ran fine for me offline too. I've gone without internet twice and Steam worked ok. I think you have to set Steam to automatically login in order for offline mode to work.

abuC

Playing Tropico, it has the best music I've ever heard in a game! Takes me back to my father blasting salsa and merengue in the garage all day when I was little.

KarmaCow

Between Dungeon Defenders, Super MNC and now Portal 2 deciding to ignore the 'do not update this game' setting when I'm getting close to my bandwidth cap Steam automatically updating games is starting to piss me off. Is there anyway to globally hard disable auto updates short of going into offline mode? I moved Portal 2 to my external hard drive to avoid this sort of thing but now Steam is downloading the update and I can't stop it without physically removing the connection to the hdd.

Between Dungeon Defenders, Super MNC and now Portal 2 deciding to ignore the 'do not update this game' setting when I'm getting close to my bandwidth cap Steam automatically updating games is starting to piss me off.

This isn't an ideal solution but if you aren't actively playing those games, maybe you should just take a Steam backup and uninstall them? If you decide to play them again at some point, you can easily reinstall from the backup and download the incremental updates. If, on the other hand, you do play them regularly, then there really is no choice but to put up with the updates as Steam won't let you play the game without them anyway.

Personally I deleted Dungeon Defenders because the updates pissed me off. Downloaded SMNC to get the TF2 items but then I saw the requirements so I deleted that as well. And Portal 2 is only getting small updates to fix bugs with the level editor.

Big-E

Someone mentioned this earlier I believe but Steam really fucking needs to have a notification system when updates are available. Just something like, your game has an update available, would you like to update? Yes would be one option and No, remind me in 24 hours would be another. Simple and painless.

This isn't an ideal solution but if you aren't actively playing those games, maybe you should just take a Steam backup and uninstall them? If you decide to play them again at some point, you can easily reinstall from the backup and download the incremental updates. If, on the other hand, you do play them regularly, then there really is no choice but to put up with the updates as Steam won't let you play the game without them anyway.

Personally I deleted Dungeon Defenders because the updates pissed me off. Downloaded SMNC to get the TF2 items but then I saw the requirements so I deleted that as well. And Portal 2 is only getting small updates to fix bugs with the level editor.

Don't get my started on Dungeon Defenders. My only Steam regret with Dragon Age II. I am in China so it takes me a while to download a gig so when the game requires an update of one gig every other day, game got sent to my island of lost games.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Offline mode works the same for me as well. I can only go offline if I am already online. But if my internet goes out unexpectedly, it is impossible for me to play any Steam games (except for the rare exceptions where the drm is not incorporated into the .exe.) I have tried every trick in the book including pulling out cables, turning off ethernet adapters, turning off wireless adapters, checking and unchecking boxes, etc. I'm not sure how common it is, but it's certainly not unheard of. This topic has come up multiple times both in the predecessors to this thread and other threads focused exclusively offline mode and multiple people have confirmed it behaves the same way for them. If you contact Steam to ask them why, they say it's working as it is supposed to.

And in reality, this is how Valve themselves say Steam offline mode is supposed to work.

It it hit or miss with me. Where i am right now i don't have any internet at my bed so i have to go to a separate place for wifi. On OS X i have had no problems what so ever playing Football Manager or any other game offline. I have never gotten an error when playing in Offline mode. On Windows 7 i will get the "Must connect to the internet for steam to work" error sometimes. I read it has to do with saving your password and telling steam to connect every time and i created/edited this file to do that, but i still get the error sometimes. The only solution i've found is i have to make sure i'm connect to wifi on windows 7 then go into offline mode while still connected. If i forget to do that i run the risk of it not working.

Looks like it deals with Russian titles. It's all fine by me, I suppose. Russian titles are cheap for the market. Same as how certain markets have games not released elsewhere.

As long as general gifting between the rest is good, I am fine with it.

SparkTR

It's probably to fight CD-Key resellers. They sell the user an extremely cheap Eastern European key and then user uses a Russian VPN to activate it on their account. It shouldn't effect us much, I just hope they don't expand it.

It's probably to fight CD-Key resellers. They sell the user an extremely cheap Eastern European key and then user uses a Russian VPN to activate it on their account. It shouldn't effect us much, I just hope they don't expand it.
It might, as a European I often use a VPN to unlock my game on the Tuesday instead of waiting for the retailer dictated Friday release.

KarmaCow

I did the same thing with Dungeon Defenders and I'll probably do the same with SMNC if they seriously plan on having 1.3gig patches every week.

I guess if there is no other option I'll do the Steam backup thing with the bigger games. I actually haven't even played Portal 2 since it came out, but I was planning on trying out the new DLC when my cap resets in 8 days. If the Diablo 3 day 1 patch is too big I might have to hold off on that too now, ugh.

hamchan

It affects me because I like buying cheap CD Keys. Balances out them ripping Australians off with their price gouging.

I guess if there is no other option I'll do the Steam backup thing with the bigger games. I actually haven't even played Portal 2 since it came out, but I was planning on trying out the new DLC when my cap resets in 8 days. If the Diablo 3 day 1 patch is too big I might have to hold off on that too now, ugh.

I don't think the D3 day 1 patch will be more than a couple of hundred megs.

SparkTR

It affects me because I like buying cheap CD Keys. Balances out them ripping Australians off with their price gouging.

In that case CD key sites usually differentiate Russian keys that require VPN activation from other keys. Though they're usually more expensive, but still inline with the rest of the world in pricing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom