• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks to graywolf for hosting the Serious Sam 3 4-pack :)

Revelations doesnt even look that bad. At least I imagined it would be even worse. The problem is, the developers dont even know how to develop. The maps look bland, the characters are generic, the gameplay looks boring.

It looks more like a bad mod for L4D, than an own game. The premise seems good and somehow the other developers in the other forum takes critique seriously. He really seems nice, thats why I think its quite a shame that it got released like that.

1-D_FTW

I don't think the approval process has much to do with the quality of the games, to be honest.
More likely it's about including some basic features.

For instance Unepic, an excellent indie "metroidvania" game, got rejected, and I suspect that not having a properly working full screen mode played a big role in it.

I'm sure you're right. It's way to murky once you start getting in the subjective business of what's good and what's not. But a list of tangible measurements isn't. I'm sure it's as simple as "Do you check off all the boxes?" and quality plays very little role in the matter.

ArjanN

I'm sure you're right. It's way to murky once you start getting in the subjective business of what's good and what's not. But a list of tangible measurements isn't. I'm sure it's as simple as "Do you check off all the boxes?" and quality plays very little role in the matter.

That, and the price point. I think a bunch of the stuff that gets rejected is shooting for a too expensive price pont.

IMO I guess there's still a decent amount of quality based approving going on as well, or there probably would have been several hundred fart-apps on Steam by now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why does everyone hate SS2? It was pretty fun I thought

I actually didn't mind it the first time around, but several attempts to replay it over the years haven't seen much success; I find myself getting bored very quickly.

I'd say that The Second Encounter is the high point of the series, with 3 and The First Encounter being more or less equal, while bringing up the rear is 2.

Just saw this on another forum.

GNySV.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/id/drunkenf00l/inventory/#753_0

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I don't know the details, and this is only speculation on my part, but it looks like you'll be able to buy and store/trade wallet funds, like we already do with games.

That's cool and all, but I really wish they'd allow you to register keys from games you already have as Gifts.

It's good for them (to trace back different region keys) and for me (so I can trade actual Steam things and not just some keys from Indie bundles and so on).

Turnstyle

I bought the Commandos pack, looks excellent and just my sort of thing.

I can't seem to access the training levels though, the game just asks me to insert the disc (ha!).

Tried playing the first level and seeing if I could pick it up easily.

Bang bang, I'm dead.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Job, family(baby of 1 year 3 months old).. is just to hard to play with someone now :(

Stallion is suggesting that the only way to make Serious Sam 3 fun (or, I'd personally extrapolate any Serious Sam game) is by playing in co-op.

I disagree. That is like suggesting that Marsellus having Butch save him eventually made the whole pawnshop basement experience a net positive in Pulp Fiction.

Chesskid1

Banned
That's cool and all, but I really wish they'd allow you to register keys from games you already have as Gifts.

It's good for them (to trace back different region keys) and for me (so I can trade actual Steam things and not just some keys from Indie bundles and so on).

maybe it encourages people to hoard games they can get for hella cheap, abuse wherever to get cdkeys, like indie bundles and such, or when theres free key giveaways (yes i know) (basically makes it hella easy to sell w/o worry). good and bad i guess, but im thinkin that's the main reason they haven't implemented it or won't in the near future. i think they should, though.

Nabs

I think someone from Valve said it was a feature they were working on.

Nice to see that Steam Wallet trading is probably happening soon.

Stallion is suggesting that the only way to make Serious Sam 3 fun (or, I'd personally extrapolate any Serious Sam game) is by playing in co-op.

I disagree. That is like suggesting that Marsellus having Butch save him eventually made the whole pawnshop basement experience a net positive in Pulp Fiction.

Oh, this is a wonderful comparison.

ngt

Trading money in Steam wallet would be nice, but I wonder about scammers. There were some examples on Steam forums like you've got $40 in your wallet, receive $20 from a scammer and by Skyrim. What's happening now? Or you've got $20, $receive $10 from scammer and then gift $5 to someone. Which money has been given?
Also I think that the amount of money sent to Russia would be huge.

Anyway, it's 14th today. How anout those Gamestop Steam vouchers?

didamangi

Trading money in Steam wallet would be nice, but I wonder about scammers. There were some examples on Steam forums like you've got $40 in your wallet, receive $20 from a scammer and by Skyrim. What's happening now? Or you've got $20, $receive $10 from scammer and then gift $5 to someone. Which money has been given?
Also I think that the amount of money sent to Russia would be huge.

Anyway, it's 14th today. How anout those Gamestop Steam vouchers?

I think we'll see more region restriction for games in Russia and CIS region when steam wallet trading is introduced. At least for newer games.

Gamestop press release states the steam vouchers are available as of today, so we should be seeing an update on Valve/Steam's part here soon. I think i'm heading out to Gamestop now to turn my GS credit into steam cash.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Having rewatched Pulp Fiction with my brother about 2 weeks ago, I must say that you fucking nailed that comparison Bus.

Now I won't feel bad for getting a few dollars from my old games... :D

I am taking every console game I own up to Gamestop. I will clear off an entire DVD rack for space and pick up Steam bucks.

I don't care if I only get a quarter per game. I'm tired of physical media and the Steam sale is coming!

Damn, I hope Gamestop Spain starts selling Steam Wallet cards before the Summer Sale begins :O

Can't wait to find two or three cards under the tree this Christmas :lol

HoosTrax

Just be sure you aren't trading away potentially valuable / LE / sought-after games. A lot of used console games, especially somewhat older ones, are quite worthless (I remember buying MGS 2 and 3 in good condition for a buck each off eBay years ago), but a handful are rare enough to be worth significantly more than what Gamestop will give you.

Dascu

If I were going to buy just ONE Commandos game, which one?

Commandos 2

The first games' visuals are somewhat outdated and they're needlessly hard at points. The third game's visuals are the best, but they've removed some features from its predecessors and the campaign is shorter and more action-packed, in an attempt to be cinematic. It's got some really great missions (like the train and Berlin levels) though, and I suggest picking it up too. Commandos 2 however is the best of both worlds. The classic and deep campaign of the first with huge maps, and the pretty visuals from the third.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Commandos 2

The first games' visuals are somewhat outdated and they're needlessly hard at points. The third game's visuals are the best, but they've removed some features from its predecessors and the campaign is shorter and more action-packed, in an attempt to be cinematic. It's got some really great missions (like the train and Berlin levels) though, and I suggest picking it up too. Commandos 2 however is the best of both worlds. The classic and deep campaign of the first with huge maps, and the pretty visuals from the third.

Fully agree. Great games btw. Highly recommended to everyone. There arent many other games like it, and especially 2 is super good.

Commandos 2

Thanks. I just picked up Commandos 2. I have a huge backlog but I'm pretty good about getting around to playing everything eventually (now playing Stalker: Shadows of Chernobyl, which I picked up nearly two years ago).

I'm sure 3 is good too, but I'll pick it up in the future after playing 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom