• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anyone confirm that Gamestop has Steam cards as of right now?

I will take a pile of games up this afternoon if so.

No point in waiting, prices will only go down for them.

TheNatural

My Member!

Commandos 2

The first games' visuals are somewhat outdated and they're needlessly hard at points. The third game's visuals are the best, but they've removed some features from its predecessors and the campaign is shorter and more action-packed, in an attempt to be cinematic. It's got some really great missions (like the train and Berlin levels) though, and I suggest picking it up too. Commandos 2 however is the best of both worlds. The classic and deep campaign of the first with huge maps, and the pretty visuals from the third.

You're telling me. I'm on mission 2 and I'm already ripping my hair out.

Levyne

Banned
I have enough gamestop points for a 20 dollar off coupon or something

I can make that steam money

edit: damn, seems can't be used on that

Rufus

elephant in the room

kotor ii not on steam
I'm sure it's been discussed previously, but why is that? Did LucasArts just disown the game? And if so, why? Quality, or for how it portrays the force?

KOTOR II isn't actually in KOTOR II either.

Alternative joke: the elephant was cut.
Alternative joke: KOTOR II was cut from Steam.
If it ever shows up there's a (very) faint chance that they include the fan patches, like they did with Gothic 3.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Can anyone confirm that Gamestop has Steam cards as of right now?

I will take a pile of games up this afternoon if so.

No point in waiting, prices will only go down for them.

From gametrailers.com:

ndoQ0.jpg

HoosTrax

How does Anno compare to Tropico? Does it have a lot of quirkiness and personality like Tropico, or is it more generic / by the books? I just discovered my love of city builders I think.

Milamber

Would these Steam gift cards work for the non-US Steam users? Say, if my cousin in the US buys one & gives me the code, can I redeem it on my non-US account?

Don't buy Lucid. I usually love these types of games, but this one I found to be straight up boring.

I thought the scoring system was weird and awkward. Due to the combo multiplier you'll score way (WAY!) more points by clearing little dinky areas of 3 or 4 blocks than trying to combine and clear larger areas of blocks.

How does Anno compare to Tropico? Does it have a lot of quirkiness and personality like Tropico, or is it more generic / by the books? I just discovered my love of city builders I think.

Whichever Anno game Dawn of Discovery was is a bit closer to an RTS than Tropico (at least what I've played of Tropico 1-3). Anno is a bit more like a trade-economy builder than a city builder, in that you build your cities to generate trade goods to allow access to better city elements. If you've played Settlers, my rough chart would be Starcraft - Settlers - Anno - Tropico - Sim City.

It does have personality, although maybe not as much?

HoosTrax

Whichever Anno game Dawn of Discovery was is a bit closer to an RTS than Tropico (at least what I've played of Tropico 1-3). Anno is a bit more like a trade-economy builder than a city builder, in that you build your cities to generate trade goods to allow access to better city elements. If you've played Settlers, my rough chart would be Starcraft - Settlers - Anno - Tropico - Sim City.

It does have personality, although maybe not as much?
Hmm I see. Well I guess I can hope for a Anno 2070 freeplay weekend to try it out. Boy did they go crazy with the DLC though...

Chesskid1

Banned
I just finished the 12 Angry Tests for Portal 2.

Wow, I was not expecting this level of awesomeness. They're just 7 levels for the Portal 2 Workshop (made with Hammer).

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=68540935

sweeet, i loved portal 2 so awesome to hear there is some quality stuff in the workshop as it seemed portal 1 custom maps fizzled out rather quickly. downloading now. is there a thread for custom map recommendations anywhere? sorting through everything seems like a hassle so id rather not.

HoosTrax

Did KOTOR just got released for Mac ?

Is it worth the time investment ?
Mass Effect-style RPG (emphasis on well fleshed-out party members with personality) with Neverwinter Nights gameplay set in a Star Wars setting. Up to you whether that appeals to you.

The first KOTOR game was a lot more memorable to me than the second. I don't quite remember at all what happened in the second game...

There's a demo, not sure why it's not on Steam:
http://anno-game.ubi.com/anno-2070/en-GB/demo/index.aspx
Thanks, wasn't aware there was a demo.

Mass Effect-style RPG with Neverwinter Nights gameplay set in a Star Wars setting. Up to you whether that appeals to you.

The first KOTOR game was a lot more memorable to me than the second. I don't quite remember at all what happened in the second game...

I read Mass Effect / Star Wars rpg. I'll bite

What are the chances of AoEIII and AoEO getting major discounts in summer sale?

I'm not sure about AoE3 but AoEO will soon have an update which will make the previously paid content free as well. As in, you'll have to play the game to earn some sort of ingame currency which you can then use to redeem the content. Point being, I wouldn't buy any of the premium packs for money unless you're really into the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
KOTOR is definitely worth playing, especially if you're a Star Wars fan. I revisited it recently, and it's dropped down a few spots in my top WRPG rankings, but only because I've played a few superior games in the genre like Bloodlines and The Witcher over the past couple years. Still, it's a must-play as far as I'm concerned.

With a few easy tweaks you should be able to properly scale the resolution and interface to your monitor.

http://www.wsgf.org/software/star-wars-knights-old-republic

Wow, this is getting really frustrating. Every week or so Steam removes all my shortcuts and categories, and it has been like this for over a year.

How the fuck haven't they fixed this yet? Is there a solution?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wow, this is getting really frustrating. Every week or so Steam removes all my shortcuts and categories, and it has been like this for over a year.

How the fuck haven't they fixed this yet? Is there a solution?

*sigh*...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37038849&postcount=12659

Steam keeps all shortcuts on a file named "shortcuts.vdf", that sits on the 'Steam\userdata\<userid>\config' folder.

Recently, I lost mine as well. That file had 0 bytes. HOWEVER, for some reason I'm not aware of, Steam placed a copy of it on 'Steam\config'. I just copied that version over to 'Steam\userdata\<userid>\config' and my non-steam shortcuts were back after a Steam restart.

now, from time to time, I just backup that file on 'Steam\userdata\<userid>\config'

I don't really remember if it happened exactly like that or if it's the other way around. Anyway, check both folders and, if you're lucky, a valid copy of your 'shortcuts.vdf' will be in one of these folders. Just copy it over to the other folder and restart.

I first read about it on this thread, so maybe they can explain better than I can: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2546782

Maybe Valve should just save that file on the cloud....

Blizzard

Banned
The not-on-sale $30 ARMA II Combined Operations is now the top seller on the U.S. (and others?) region, apparently. Hooray for modding and comparatively low prices!

HoosTrax

The not-on-sale $30 ARMA II Combined Operations is now the top seller on the U.S. (and others?) region, apparently. Hooray for modding and comparatively low prices!
Would love a free weekend on this to try out both the base game and the mod. Would be a great opportunity for both Bohemia and the modders. I heard that TrackIR is supported.

Ok, here is the thing. I have a spare CS:GO beta that'll go up on SteamGifts in about 35 minutes. There are two ways to get the game:

(1) Enter the private giveaway and hope you win
(2) Quote this post, offer a gift to a fellow GAFer (not me) in the next half hour and send me confirmation by PM that the gift was received

Blitzhex

Ok, here is the thing. I have a spare CS:GO beta that'll go up on SteamGifts in about 35 minutes. There are two ways to get the game:

(1) Enter the private giveaway and hope you win
(2) Quote this post, offer a gift to a fellow GAFer (not me) in the next half hour and send me confirmation by PM that the gift was received

Willing to give out Darksiders and Costume Quest to two diff peeps!

Edit: Done, thanks Glass Rebel

Perfect :)

C'mon people, help Blitzhex earn CS:GO!

Edit:

Blitzhex, send me a link to your account just in case
Kate, send me a PM or reply in this thread when you receive the game please

Blizzard

Banned
Would love a free weekend on this to try out both the base game and the mod. Would be a great opportunity for both Bohemia and the modders. I heard that TrackIR is supported.
The funny thing is that the character server is so completely swamped already, they probably don't even WANT more players joining right at this moment.

C_H_T

Perfect :)

C'mon people, help Blitzhex earn CS:GO!

Edit:

Blitzhex, send me a link to your account just in case
Kate, send me a PM or reply in this thread when you receive the game please

I just received Darksiders via Steam Trade from Blitzhex. Thanks Blitzhex!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom