• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jomjom

Banned
I noticed that I got the CS: Go beta in my inventory all of a sudden. Did Valve just randomly pick who got these and who didn't?

Javaman

The not-on-sale $30 ARMA II Combined Operations is now the top seller on the U.S. (and others?) region, apparently. Hooray for modding and comparatively low prices!

I wonder if more people have bought it now for the mod then originally got it for the main game.

I really want to play DayZ but I know the day ArmaII goes on sale again will have an influx of new gamers so I don't really feel left out missing it. That much. :p

Tomodachi

Just finished the two Alan Wake DLCs (included with the game in the PC version). Damn, the gameplay is so much better in those, with only a few additions they managed to refresh it a lot and add more variety than all the long hours in the base game.

American Nightmare can't come soon enough.

Rapstah

If we're giving away stuff I've had a spare Audiosurf gift for a year now that I'm not going to use. First to PM gets it, assuming of course that everyone here doesn't have it.

Given.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I just received an email from Microsoft (gamesforwindows@engage.xbox.com) letting me know that Microsoft Flight is available on the Steam Store.

I found it funny and decided to post here for expansive lulz.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Advertisements are hilarious...

I just find it funny that, while some companies make a big deal about not releasing games on Steam to promote their Digital Distribution Service (right, EA?) others, which already have a established Digital Distribution System (although a shitty one) use Steam as a Stepping Stone for more sales.

In other words, yes, I find EA's overall Digital Distribution strategy both stupid and hilarious.

ezodagrom

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is now out in Europe, unfortunately the PC version is like Episode 1, 1280x720 is the native resolution, and any other resolution is just a lazy upscale or downscale.
The game also has no native Anti-Aliasing option, but it's possible to force anti-aliasing through the graphics card drivers (at least for AMD/ATI graphics cards). Forcing anti-aliasing only works at the native resolution of the game though, that is, it only works at 1280x720.

Game at default settings:
sonic20120515001833817.jpg

8x SSAA + Edge Detect Filter (24x Samples):
sonic20120515002154307.jpg

1-D_FTW

I really want to play DayZ but I know the day ArmaII goes on sale again will have an influx of new gamers so I don't really feel left out missing it. That much. :p

There have been some crazy rock bottom prices in the past. I always felt like Ghst was dying a little when the game was selling for a couple dollars and I had zero interest in buying it. Needless to say, I'm regretting it now.

I just find it funny that, while some companies make a big deal about not releasing games on Steam to promote their Digital Distribution Service (right, EA?) others, which already have a established Digital Distribution System (although a shitty one) use Steam as a Stepping Stone for more sales.

In other words, yes, I find EA's overall Digital Distribution strategy both stupid and hilarious.

On a related note, I tried playing Alice today. Because it was on a new Windows install, had to log into Origin (via Steam) to play it again. Then I wanted to start a new game and not my continue from GameSaveManager. So I hit new game. And it wouldn't let me type any letters (But berated me and said I needed to choose at least one character). So I figured I'd delete the old file and that would be that. Crashed the fucking POS. Crashed it so hard even Process Explorer couldn't kill the Alice tree. So I had to log off to get Process Explorer to succeed. Fucking, EA. Almost deleted the game on the spot. And I sure will not be buying any game that requires Origin to run. I'll take GFWL over that crap any day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
How does Anno compare to Tropico? Does it have a lot of quirkiness and personality like Tropico, or is it more generic / by the books? I just discovered my love of city builders I think.

Anno is more by the books - Tropico's unique humor and charm is pretty much rare and Anno doesn't have them.

Sanic

I guess I could ask this here: Is Torchlight (1) a good introduction to the genre, and a good game, period? With all of the hype surrounding Diablo, I thought I could give it a shot to see if I would be interested in buying Diablo at some point later in the year.

Salsa

I guess I could ask this here: Is Torchlight (1) a good introduction to the genre, and a good game, period? With all of the hype surrounding Diablo, I thought I could give it a shot to see if I would be interested in buying Diablo at some point later in the year.

Very much so. Dont play it on Normal though cause its way too easy, maybe not even on Hard and just go all the way up to Hardest.

Alex

It's a Sonic game. There is no such thing as a good Sonic game.

Agree, never saw what people got out of the games, they've always been fairly lousy platformers in my book, feel the same way about it as I do Kirby. Aesthetics and music were nice, very smooth, simple fun back in the day but I'd never want to bother with one anymore. Just my opinion, though.

Torchlight is a solid B-tier, lower budget entry in the genre. It's nothing amazing but it does the basics well and looks good and runs smooth while doing it. I look forward to the sequel, but I sort of doubt it'll be any sort of match against Diablo III.

Sanic

Very much so. Dont play it on Normal though cause its way too easy, maybe not even on Hard and just go all the way up to Hardest.

Agree, never saw what people got out of the games, they've always been fairly lousy platformers in my book, same goes for Kirby. Aesthetics and music were nice, very smooth, simple fun back in the day but I'd never want to bother with one anymore. Just my opinion, though.

Torchlight is a solid B-tier, lower budget entry in the genre. It's nothing amazing but it does the basics well and looks good and runs smooth while doing it. I look forward to the sequel, but I sort of doubt it'll be any sort of match against Diablo III.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll try to give it a shot sometime soon.

Joe Molotov

Did you get it because of DayZ, or just to try ARMA II itself? If anyone doesn't want super hardcore permadeath military-ish survival stuff, definitely avoid the game.

Just ARMA II itself. I thought I'd enjoy it as I like realistic military shooters in concept I guess...but damn, the overall execution bored me to shit.

Blizzard

Banned
Just ARMA II itself. I thought I'd enjoy it as I like realistic military shooters in concept I guess...but damn, the overall execution bored me to shit.
If you bought ARMA II instead of Operation Arrowhead...ouch, there's like a free version of ARMA II on Steam you could have tried. =( If you bought Operation Arrowhead instead, at least try DayZ since you have nothing further to lose. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom