• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

Any word on an actual release date for Jet Set Radio for Steam?

6Y9qv.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Offline mode is mad janky. It needs to be fixed.

In my experience, it works fine if you remember to load up the games you wish to play offline prior to switching to Offline Mode, as any games that Steam has detected an update for will otherwise refuse to load. At the very least, Valve should have the Offline Mode option force an update check on all installed games prior to switching; though, ideally, any installed game should run fine as-is.

In my experience, it works fine if you remember to load up the games you wish to play offline prior to switching to Offline Mode, as any games that Steam has detected an update for will otherwise refuse to load. At the very least, Valve should have the Offline Mode option force an update check on all installed games prior to switching; though, ideally, any installed game should run fine as-is.

I've actually had offline mode work for like 5 out of the 6 times I've tried it. But that fact that people still complain about it working, and that one of the "fixes" is unplug your ethernet cord? It's too busted to not fix.

Wok

Dungeons of Dredmor is definitely worth it, but it may get a discount pretty soon when they enable Steam Workshop integration and add the new DLC.

I did not enjoy it so much, but I have still played it for more than 20 hours. I cannot explain this.

Completed chapter 3 of The Dream Machine and I can't wait for chapter 4. While the first 2 chapters were a bit on the lean side, the 3rd chapter kept me busy and had me stumped on a puzzle for awhile. Really glad I jumped into this game blindly, really digging the story and presentation so far.

I will try the demo then.

How different is the new game from the mod, besides the graphics?

The graphics are what makes me want to try it. Otherwise, I really did not like the mod.

MNC

Season passes are never worth it. Especially not for Saints Row 3. Half the packs you get are ACTIVITIES, not missions.

Talyn

Saint's Row 2 is $4.49 at Gamersgate and is a steam key. Does this run on windows 7 after applying the community patches/mods? I have a x6 AMD cpu, a 460 GTX and 8GB of RAM.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SAINTS2/saints-row-2
SR2 patched should play just fine on Win 7. I played it on Win 7 a few months back on my laptop (which obviously isn't as well specced as your rig) and had no problems at all. The issue is the key Gamersgate sells registers on Steam as the German version which is heavily censored and does not work with the community patches/mods. At least this used to be the case, I'd not risk it unless you can find confirmation that this is absolutely no longer true.

They've fixed that, I believe. It's the standard edition now. I had that problem but they replaced the key with a US one, which I assume they do now by default.

Talyn

They've fixed that, I believe. It's the standard edition now. I had that problem but they replaced the key with a US one, which I assume they do now by default.
Yeah, you're right. I found confirmation in a FAQ on the Steam forums. Also good reading if you're considering buying the game, the main issue with Win 7 is the speedup bug which you'll probably need to use Powertools to correct. Luckily it's a simple fix. I don't believe I even used the Gentlemen of the Row mod when I played thru the game a while back as it add/changes a lot of stuff that's more suitable for a 2nd playthrough.

Blizzard

Banned
I think one thing you can do is put certain friends in a friends list group called "Weird People Who Change Their Name Constantly" which will let you find them easily.

Wok

I have been playing some of my backlog: although Hamilton's Great Adventure looks like a casual game with nice 3D effects, it can get quite frustrating if you try to get into the high-score tables, in which case it get literally supermeatboyee. I have finally been rewarded by beating on one level this milk_T guy at the top of every high-score tables.

This is a game for every kind of gamer. If you have it and like action-puzzle games, try it!

1-D_FTW

I think one thing you can do is put certain friends in a friends list group called "Weird People Who Change Their Name Constantly" which will let you find them easily.

Yeah, but by this point, those people have changed their name so many times, I don't even know who they originally were anymore.

Baha

Yeah, but by this point, those people have changed their name so many times I don't even know who they originally were anymore.

Depends, if they set up their profile link to use a name instead of a string of numbers, you can find out who they are by looking at it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Steam just needs to add aliasing. That way I can correct all the people on the part of my friends list I care about whose names start with lower case letters.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have been playing some of my backlog: although Hamilton's Great Adventure looks like a casual game with nice 3D effects, it can get quite frustrating if you try to get into the high-score tables, in which case it get literally supermeatboyee. I have finally been rewarded by beating on one level this milk_T guy at the top of every high-score tables.

There's a handful of us on GAF who are in the top 50-100 in the leaderboards in every level throughout the game, hahaha.

Why'd they have to put SecuROM on Bioshock 2... I wanted to play Minerva's Den at some point. Guess I'll have to find a console copy in some bargain bin.

Blizzard

Banned
Oh I didn't care about that. I have spare Microsoft points Allards anyway. And GFWL lets you pay in cash now if you don't anyway. Fair compromise for something so lauded. But not the DRM.
I don't like DRM, and I don't like SecuROM, but what are your objections for this particular game? I could understand if it was the SecuROM level 7 or whatever from days of yore that used a kernel driver, or a SecuROM like Crysis 1 where they had limited installations you couldn't revoke...

But in this case, neither of those apply. So what negative effects does it have for this game? It's less DRM than Steam as far as I can tell, since you could presumably play it offline (and some people have problems with Steam offline mode).

HoosTrax

Impressions for Divinity II: DKS?
Eh, I wasn't really impressed. If you like Euro ARPGs (Gothic, Risen), you might enjoy it though. The combat had no oomph, or visual flair whatsoever. It has neither Skyrim's visual eye candy, nor KoA:R's impactful combat. The setting is pretty generic European medieval stuff. I just couldn't get into it enough to make it to the parts where the dragon-ish stuff start happening. Maybe I should give it another go. Too many better things to play atm though (Tropico has completely sucked me in).

SecuROM doesn't offer me any value, and I don't see their activation servers lasting forever. I don't keep up enough with the repositioning of anti consumer technologies, but I do know as you pointed out that the company has done some nasty shit in the past. And that is enough to put me off it. /stubborn philosophy

I have access to a 360 currently, maybe if I didn't I'd be more inclined to put up with it.

1-D_FTW

So what was the deal with the recent Steam patch?

I've had the CD version lying around for years. Heard it had good 3D, so I figured I'd finally play it. But when I installed it, my 360 controller would not work at all (briefly tried it years ago and worked with a generic controller). Also, couldn't go any higher than 1680*1050@100hz or 1920*1080@60hz (wanted 1080P@120hz). And when I exited out, it crashed to black. And then the entire Windows OS was running in windowed mode. Finally closed it down and was going to uninstall, but I did a google search for patches and saw Steam got a recent patch nobody else did?

So is the Steam patch really all that? Does it include default 360 support? I guess I'll pick it up next time it's on sale if it truly does address some of these issues.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So what was the deal with the recent Steam patch?

I've had the CD version lying around for years. Heard it had good 3D, so I figured I'd finally play it. But when I installed it, my 360 controller would not work at all (briefly tried it years ago and worked with a generic controller). Also, couldn't go any higher than 1680*1050@100hz or 1920*1080@60hz (wanted 1080P@120hz). And when I exited out, it crashed to black. And then the entire Windows OS was running in windowed mode. Finally closed it down and was going to uninstall, but I did a google search for patches and saw Steam got a recent patch nobody else did?

So is the Steam patch really all that? Does it include default 360 support? I guess I'll pick it up next time it's on sale if it truly does address some of these issues.

Adds native 360 pad support, fixes various graphical issues and adds in engine AA and some other tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom