• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no idea if it's because SouthPeak games is basically not a going concern anymore, but holy crap their Steam library is cheap;

Hotel Giant 2 - 4.99
Velvet Assassin - 4.99
Legendary - 4.99
Section 8 - 4.99
Roogoo - 2.99
Insecticide Part 1 - 2.99

They're not on sale or anything, those are all actual MSRP

I have no idea if it's because SouthPeak games is basically not a going concern anymore, but holy crap their Steam library is cheap;

Hotel Giant 2 - 4.99
Velvet Assassin - 4.99
Legendary - 4.99
Section 8 - 4.99
Roogoo - 2.99

Oh, nice. Anybody looking forward to Lost Planet 3 can get a good taste of what to expect.

Kabouter

Hotel Giant 2 - 4.99
Velvet Assassin - 4.99
Legendary - 4.99
Section 8 - 4.99
Roogoo - 2.99

Are any of those actually worth it?

MNC

So is Sins: Rebellion like going from CiV 3 to CiV 4 or is there something else to it compared to Trinity. Should one wait for Rebellion to get cheaper or jump on Trinity. I want Sins but i can just as well wait till it gets cheaper if Rebellion is Sins just better.

Also god damnit when will Ubi put the Settler catalouge up for one of these daily super cheap deals, been waiting for ever to buy Rise of an Empire, but xept for Splinter Cell, Ghost recon and Persia they don't seem to care about their back catalouge enough to bring out the real deep discounts for those.

Rebellion is Trinity + more. There's no use in buying trinity if you have rebellion.

Now for my question:

Was wondering wether I should buy Trinity to get the discount for rebellion, but eventually it changes just 2 bucks. So THEN I was wondering... Would it be possible for someone else to buy a preorder with trinity for me, then send the shit my way, with the 10 discount?

There is a demo available from Ubi, but it's not listed on Steam unfortunately.

Damn, wish I knew that.

I only played for about 30 minutes, that was enough to turn me off =/

I've loved games like Simcity for example, but something about Anno felt way too slow and felt like it didn't explain things well enough. Ah well, learned my lesson.

PaulLFC

Hotel Giant 2 - 4.99
Velvet Assassin - 4.99
Legendary - 4.99
Section 8 - 4.99
Roogoo - 2.99

Apparently $1 = £1. £5 is still cheap though. Tempted by Hotel Giant 2, I like tycoon games.

Damn, wish I knew that.

I've loved games like Simcity for example, but something about Anno felt way too slow and felt like it didn't explain things well enough. Ah well, learned my lesson.
You put 30 mins into something you spent 25 bucks on and you're just giving up?

feel

The "Because We May" sale sounds awesome, but sadly I already own the majority of the games on that list. Feels like a prelude to next month's Summer sale.

God I can't wait for the Summer sale. It sounds crazy to be so excited for games going on sale, but its too much fun.
I'm really excited for it too, will be my first major Steam sale as a gaming PC owner so I look forward to filling my Steam library with great titles I've missed out on. Money is not really an issue, I could just pay for the games I want right now, but there's something indescribably nice (besides the saving of money) about waiting for the right moment during a sale.

You put 30 mins into something you spent 25 bucks on and you're just giving up?

Well, I may try it again in the future since it's in my library now, but every game I've enjoyed in the past has captured my interest within 30 minutes to an hour. This game felt like a chore the whole 30 minutes :(

Aselith

Damn, wish I knew that.

Go through the campaign, it has a series of missions that will teach you the ropes. It's not a slow game once you get a good sized city going and you'll have several cities operating at once later.

Wok

http://www.becausewemay.com/

Seems like there's some kind of uber sale coming from a group of indie developers. Not sure what their deal is, but it's starting in about a week.

Here's a list of the Steam games they're going to be having:

http://www.becausewemay.com/steam.html

Edit: this upcoming indie sale looks good, hope to get some nice prices on

I already own most of the games though

Not only do I own most of the games, I actually finished them:
  1. And Yet It Moves
  2. Anomaly Warzone Earth
  3. BIT.TRIP RUNNER
  4. Braid
  5. Capsized
  6. CAVE STORY
  7. Cogs
  8. Eets
  9. Jamestown
  10. Nightsky
  11. NyxQuest
  12. Osmos
  13. Psychonauts
  14. Q.U.B.E.
  15. Rochard
  16. RUSH
  17. Swords & Soldiers
  18. The Binding of Isaac
  19. The Wonderful End of the World
  20. Toki Tori
  21. Vertex Dispenser
  22. Vessel
  23. World of Goo
And I play Ziro these days (not even on the list) and plan to play Frozen Synapse. I guess I am an "indie gamer".

Well, I may try it again in the future since it's in my library now, but every game I've enjoyed in the past has captured my interest within 30 minutes to an hour. This game felt like a chore the whole 30 minutes :(
Talk about immediate gratification. But hey man whatever floats your boat.

I'm tempted to pick up Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity for $10, but I already own the retail and the first xpac from Impulse... does anyone know, is it possible to give away my keys to someone else? Or they are mine forever even if I want to double-dip on the whole thing for Steam?

zkylon

zkylewd
Never failed me before. All the games I own (100+) have entertained me within an hour :)
I don't know how consistent that rule is for you, but most people dread the first hour of Deus Ex, and the ride they'd be missing out if they just decided to drop it there.

Never failed me before. All the games I own (100+) have entertained me within an hour :)

Give it a proper chance. The Anno series of games are fairly deep and complex. They introduce the concepts of the game to you slowly so as not to overwhelm you. 30 minutes is absolutely not enough to pass judgement on the game.

It's $7.50 on getgamesgo.com, but I don't think it registers on Steam. I'm debating picking it up for that price. They seem pretty reputable but I've only used them for Steamworks games in the past.

Yea I'm aware of that, which was why I was hopeful that Ubi would put it at the same price on Steam. I've used the site before but I'd rather have it on Steam so I'll wait. Not like there's any shortage of stuff to play in the mean time.

Relax.MX

Im playing Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter right now...(i just finished the first level) mmm my first impressions is fighting against the controls and the IU...and the game look..old, really old..

Longshot but a good mod for the game?

Aw crap, just broke my no games until the Summer Sale rule.

Anno 2070 just HAD to go on a daily deal today.

Tropico 3 as an RTS? Well, only if in the RTS games you play you just build a base and collect resources.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Will the indie games go on sale on Steam or do we have to buy them from another size and use their keys?
On Steam.

We believe that developers should have the freedom to price their games how they like, without interference from the online stores that sell the games. Why? Because it allows us to promote our games more freely, as we are doing here! We rely on the ability to promote our games for our livelihood and control over pricing is an important tool for this purpose.

For the last week of May (May 24 through June 1) our games will be deeply discounted to celebrate online stores that give us control over pricing: The App Store, Google Play, Steam, and a few others.

For a list of participating games in each store, choose one of the following:

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Anno games are pretty good but approaching it with a SimCity mindset is definitely a wrong idea. You should do campaigns first to give you a gist on what to do.

Mine was doing the same thing yesterday, but it will be normal once you log in.

I logged in and the screen is jarbled, but I was able to make purchase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I hope Revelations expanded on the building, assassin recruitment/missions and regions/influence elements of Brotherhood. It was a system I very much enjoyed while the main story was already same as 2. Its something that can really enhance a game like this.

Sort of. Those elements are still present, however:

- Building up an area increases your notoriety, which is logically sound, but annoying, as there are now only heralds and witnesses -- no more simply running around after wanted posters.
- Taking over a Templar den requires you to play a rather dull tower defense mini-game. It's easy enough, but adds an unnecessary layer. (Edit: Oh, and until your den is being overseen by a Master Assassin, the Templars will occasionally attempt to retake it, which, if you choose to intervene, also results in the tower defense mini-game.)
- Assassin recruiting/training works much the same as it did in Brotherhood, however since missions are now randomly generated, it's effectively endless and therefore becomes pointless once a Master Assassin has been assigned to each of your dens.

MNC

Rebellion is Trinity + more. There's no use in buying trinity if you have rebellion.

Now for my question:

Was wondering wether I should buy Trinity to get the discount for rebellion, but eventually it changes just 2 bucks. So THEN I was wondering... Would it be possible for someone else to buy a preorder with trinity for me, then send the shit my way, with the 10 discount?

Anyone have a stardock account with the game and wants to try preordering it from stardock site with 10$ discount?
I'm tempted to pick up Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity for $10, but I already own the retail and the first xpac from Impulse... does anyone know, is it possible to give away my keys to someone else? Or they are mine forever even if I want to double-dip on the whole thing for Steam?
I think you can try, but trinity isn't a steamworks, but rebellion is. It all depends on where your key is registered, and where the other user registers it.

Is today the last day for Ubisoft deals? What time does it end? I want to buy Dark Messiah.

LeoNp.png

Today is the last day.

Ledsen

Still a stupid rule, even if you say it hasn't failed you so far. It's like saying "Well, if I don't like this album I bought the first time I listen to it, I'll never listen to it again". Many things get better with time, in fact some of my favourite games ever started out really bad for me (Vagrant Story for example).

Aw crap, just broke my no games until the Summer Sale rule.

Anno 2070 just HAD to go on a daily deal today.

Tropico 3 as an RTS? Well, only if in the RTS games you play you just build a base and collect resources.

I don't think English is his first language. Tropico is a city builder if people are wondering.

Wok

I don't know how consistent that rule is for you, but most people dread the first hour of Deus Ex, and the ride they'd be missing out if they just decided to drop it there.

Still a stupid rule, even if you say it hasn't failed you so far. It's like saying "Well, if I don't like this album I bought the first time I listen to it, I'll never listen to it again". Many things get better with time, in fact some of my favourite games ever started out really bad for me (Vagrant Story for example).

For Ziro and Lucid, yes, your rule works: both games use the same mechanics and almost the same puzzles from the beginning to the end. But I found Aquaria boring for the first four hours and then it has been great for eighteen hours. The puzzles in Vessel are too easy to be interesting during the first two hours and then it gets really interesting as they are a bit difficult. Blocks That Matter and Hamilton's Great Adventure are both games I had played three hours and found boring, and after some months, I played them again and enjoyed it as I better understood how to play them: for instance, Hamilton's scoring system is not obvious.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Just finished Dear Esther.

I ... have absolutely no idea how I feel about it, at all. Super pretty though!

That doesn't really make it an RTS.

That's like saying The Binding of Isaac is an FPS because the First Person you see you Shoot.

I never said it was an RTS. I'm not sure why you feel the need to defend the purity of the acronym. This is rather silly. I simply meant that it was a non-turn based strategy game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's not even a strategy game at all. It's more like Sim City.

Anyway looking for 2 more in a torchlight 2 4-pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom