• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Sadly I tried earlier with Herla that TL1 won't gift to those who already have it for some odd reason. So Fare gets it. Gimme your steam id.

Baha

Sadly I tried earlier with Herla that TL1 won't gift to those who already have it for some odd reason. So Fare gets it. Gimme your steam id.

In situations where somebody already owns the game you should be able to trade it to them instead, the torchlight 1 gift from the torchlight 2 pre-order is tradeable.

I'm curious how long you guys will typically spend tweaking a game to run best on your rig? I have a Q6600 and a 4850 (probably the bottleneck at this point) and I really want to get a decent 40-50 fps from a game. 1680x1050 is probably too high for my GPU.

Where do you typically make compromises? I've been following the developer's notes, and the PC thread on GAF (which mostly dealt with more high end GPUs in comments). I just wonder at what point I should just accept this is the best my rig can do and enjoy the game. You could easily spend more time tweaking than actually playing the game!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm curious how long you guys will typically spend tweaking a game to run best on your rig? I have a Q6600 and a 4850 (probably the bottleneck at this point) and I really want to get a decent 40-50 fps from a game. 1680x1050 is probably too high for my GPU.

Where do you typically make compromises? I've been following the developer's notes, and the PC thread on GAF (which mostly dealt with more high end GPUs in comments). I just wonder at what point I should just accept this is the best my rig can do and enjoy the game. You could easily spend more time tweaking than actually playing the game!

Anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Once you get used to things, tweaking usually goes a lot faster.

kennah

I've got a Q6600 and used to have a 4850. Went to a 6850 and noticed a huge difference. Gaming at 1680x1050 now and it works fine with everything I throw at it these days (Diablo III, Space Marine, FalloutNV, The Witcher 1, et cetera). You could find a 6870 for what I paid for a 6850 and probably be pretty happy with your rig for a bit longer. If you overclock to 3GHz then you'll be able to stretch it out even a little longer.

theBishop

Banned

I have Core2Quad Q8200, and GTX460 with 768MB. Usually, I start at 1080p on high settings. If framerate isn't smooth, I go down to 720p. Usually framerate is very smooth at that point. If there's still problems, I turn textures down to medium. I try not to spend too much time tweaking.

Nabs

It looks like the Psychonauts DLC is the soundtrack. Both of them got added to the registry. (The OST and Cinematic Score)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

AA is the only setting I tinker with if I feel performance is sub-par; for the most part, I don't notice the aliasing once I'm actually playing.

HoosTrax

I'm curious how long you guys will typically spend tweaking a game to run best on your rig?
The amount of time it takes me to go into the game options and set resolution to 1920 x 1080, FOV to >90, graphics settings to High / Ultra, and all eye candy options enabled. (2500K and GTX570)

The only game I can't really do this in is Shogun 2, which I think is due more to a poorly optimized engine. It doesn't look all that amazing for how demanding it is, and the load times are horrific even on an SSD...

HoosTrax

45min left to go until the sale rolls over. Anno is really tempting. I've already finished the Tropico 4 campaign and half of the Tropico 4: Modern Times campaign.

Levyne

Banned
Ignorance is bliss sometimes. I don't know how to look for screen tearing, and when someone points it out I go into Homer Simpson mode. Because I know I won't stop noticing it when I do.

I can't notice it if it's subtle. But then I played The Last Remnant on PC. Holy moly screen tearing.

derFeef

I can't notice it if it's subtle. But then I played The Last Remnant on PC. Holy moly screen tearing.

Well screen tearing on PC is really not a problem as it is mostly easy to fix, unless there is something heavily wrong with the game or it's engine.

Aliasing is something I definitely cannot stand (one big reason why I prefer not to play console games these days - low resolutions and jaggies that slice and dice my eyes)...even moreso than screen tearing. I will however make concessions on it if framerate is more important (like in competitive multiplayer games).

Worth picking up? I loved Bulletstorm...

If you've never played any Painkiller game, I'd recommend getting only the Black edition. It's the best of the series, it's cheaper than the full pack and you won't be out too much if you don't like it (which is a possibility because these games are pretty old).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If you've never played any Painkiller game, I'd recommend getting only the Black edition. It's the best of the series, it's cheaper than the full pack and you won't be out too much if you don't like it (which is a possibility because these games are pretty old).

Well said/reasoned. I concur with this.

My compromise is framerate, which might sound silly to some, but I've realised that I enjoy playing games at 1080p and 30fps more than I did at 720p and (maybe) 60fps with dips. PC games at 1080p just look so damn crisp on a TV.

I've been doing my PC gaming on a mid-2011 iMac (AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512mb) for about a year now, but I've been able to enjoy many games at high settings and 1080p by simply locking them to 30fps. Then I hop on the couch and play on the big TV with the wireless keyboard and mouse and it's a very good experience.

derFeef

That payday deal is really tempting, damn you US Amazon. Guess summer sale will be finally the time to check it out (and the crossover, heh).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Payday looks cool but I just ordered a gaming mouse so everything must wait.
Dear Gabe, plz no summer sale till mid-June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom