• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i bit on this AC Deal thingy, all the AC games for less than the price of one at launch, and on Steam? I'd say it's a deal.

SteamGAF is waaay too picky for me beyond that logic, sorry fellas.

I just bought the Jamestown deluxe pack with DLC and soundtrack, but I don't know how to download the soundtrack. I didn't get a download window or anything so does anyone know where I can find it? Is it installed in one of my steam folders or something?

wilflare

I just bought the Jamestown deluxe pack with DLC and soundtrack, but I don't know how to download the soundtrack. I didn't get a download window or anything so does anyone know where I can find it? Is it installed in one of my steam folders or something?

one of your steam folders if i remember correctly

Volcynika

Mine is in: C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\jamestown\Jamestown OST

dyfeP.png

It failed to start after installing the first time starting files, then this error, and then another error occurred in the launcher that made it force close. All happened within 5 minutes of first starting Assassin's Creed 2.

Good show, Ubisoft.

Random problem, but I installed Sikkmod for Doom 3 and want to lower the difficulty - the shotgun soldiers are a bat out of hell. I can't remember the console code. Or can you modify shotgun damage alone with Sikkmod?

1-D_FTW

dyfeP.png

It failed to start after installing the first time starting files, then this error, and then another error occurred in the launcher that made it force close. All happened within 5 minutes of first starting Assassin's Creed 2.

Good show, Ubisoft.

I had those problems. Just keep restarting. It gives you errors but seemingly sorts things out if you stick with it.

HoosTrax

Don't know the general view, but I thought it was the best game released last year.
It's interesting to see Tropico 4 on your list there, because that game has turned out to be my personal sleeper hit of the year, and if that's ranked #6 on your list and Anno 2070 is ranked #1...well heads are going to roll tomorrow if Anno isn't one of the sale items.

I do miss Betty Boom (from Tropico 3) scolding me at every turn though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The Deluxe Edition does come with the soundtrack which is quite good, but OST available on Amazon, etc. is different and I suspect the more polished version. I got my OST from Amazon and "Apple Chamber" is goddamn magnificent... and it's not on the Deluxe Edition soundtrack listing.

derFeef

So I though about buying Raccoon City, but then I watched some videos and the gun sounds are just horrible, wow. Will wait for a big price drop I guess.

Alex

I've always wanted to try to get into Assassins Creed.

I think I'll buy 1, 2 and Brotherhood. 20 is too much for the other one on a whim, especially when people say its the worst and itll obviously go lower down the line.

Don't give a shit about any DLC or whatever.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I think I'll buy 1, 2 and Brotherhood. 20 is too much for the other one on a whim, especially when people say its the worst and itll obviously go lower down the line.

It's the worst of the Ezio trilogy, but I still had an amazing time with it. Constantinople is a stunning city. The DLC is pretty lame though.

Oh for Brohood, you get The Da Vinci DLC automatically, but it is intended to be played after the main game.

Chris R

Is this the general steam thread? If not then just disregard this post. Basically setup a new PC, it has a SSD and a regular HDD. What is the best guide on setting up a link so I can install some games on the HDD and others on the SSD (as well as move them back and forth if I want to) Is it called a junction? Or syslink? I've seen others talk about it before but never really paid too much attention to it before since I've always only been a single drive only pc before now.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is this the general steam thread? If not then just disregard this post. Basically setup a new PC, it has a SSD and a regular HDD. What is the best guide on setting up a link so I can install some games on the HDD and others on the SSD (as well as move them back and forth if I want to) Is it called a junction? Or syslink? I've seen others talk about it before but never really paid too much attention to it before since I've always only been a single drive only pc before now.

Symlinks are the general process across all operating systems. Junctions are the NTFS filesystem term for symlinks.

Steam Mover is a convenient GUI to make the process easier for you:
http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

Wait for the Winter Sale. You'll most likely be able to get the entire series for under $30.

Couple of queries;

- Has anyone tried The Walking Dead episode 1? I'm a bit leery of the limited interaction, but I do enjoy the franchise quite a lot.

- On a scale of Borderlands to Duke Nukem: Forever, exactly how bad is Operation Raccoon City?

- Rayman Origins looks like a lot of fun, and Snuggler made the OT so I'm operating under the assumption that it's somewhat mandatory?

- Has Salsa been behaving herself?

wilflare

Couple of queries;

- Has anyone tried The Walking Dead episode 1? I'm a bit leery of the limited interaction, but I do enjoy the franchise quite a lot.

- On a scale of Borderlands to Duke Nukem: Forever, exactly how bad is Operation Raccoon City?

- Rayman Origins looks like a lot of fun, and Snuggler made the OT so I'm operating under the assumption that it's somewhat mandatory?

omg you're back :D :D

-Rayman is gold but the sale was just over :/
-Salsa's been good, seemingly :p

Couple of queries;

:D

1. If you have others to play with, a bit under Dead Island. If solo, think around 25 to Life level(not on Steam, I think)
2. It's a great platformer, but like wilflare pointed out, it was a daily yesterday. I think it's still worth the price.
3. Salsa's been good... enough.

Couple of queries;

JJB! Good to see you back!

1. haven't tried it.
2. see above
3. Rayman is mandatory
4. As good as can be expected.

Kevin

Couple of queries;

From my experience, The Walking Dead is probably the best thing to come out of Telltales. You can walk around the environment, pick up and interact with objects. There are QTE moments though and there is obviously talking with characters. It's an adventure game of course. Based on the first episode, it comes highly recommended. Great stuff!

Assuming you mean "limited interaction" compared to other adventure games, I don't think Walking Dead is limited. It just has more of a focus on the interaction between characters. The dialogue system is wrpg-ish in the choices and consequences. Don't remember another adventure game even trying something like it.

It has fewer item puzzles though, for sure. This episode had two major puzzles (multi-item, multi-step things you might actually have to think about a bit), and a handful of really obvious non-puzzles (put bullet in gun, give food to someone who mentions food, etc).

And for a fan of the Walking Dead, it nails the feel of the universe.

Kevin

So I just bought all four Assassin Creed games on Steam as I heard they were good and not a single one works.

The first one gets into the game and hangs where all the symbols are floating around and the other three brings up the uPlay menu and when I click Play it opens and immediately crashes with a generic error message revealing no details. Other Ubisoft titles like Far Cry 2, HAWX and more crash in the same manner.

I'm using a Windows 7 64-Bit, Geforce GTX 590, Intel 980x Six core, 6gb memory. Any idea why this is happening? I am using the latest graphics drivers and have used older drivers, latest Windows updates, tried various compatibility modes, ran in adminstrator, turned off SLi, tried cracks, etc etc and for the life of me I can NOT get these games to start. What is preventing nearly all Ubisoft titles from starting on my computer? Nearly all other games I've played had no issues whatsoever. Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Really any help with this would be hugely appreciated as I am kind of getting tired of paying money for games that won't even start. :(

thanks guys, I haven't really missed playing games lately but I have missed gaf. well, some parts of gaf. I was getting slightly tired of the small but dedicated group of console warriors who had started stalking me for saying something mean about their favourite game, but hopefully they've either got lives or been banned by now.

anyway;

- walking dead is on the list. regarding limited interactivity, I should have clarified; that was a term from a review I was reading. obviously I'm not expecting it to be an RPG mechanically, but I'm glad to hear that the interactive-story angle is as complex as promised.

- sounds like raccoon city is going to be a sale purchase which is a shame. I was watching the second film on bluray the other day and it made me want to play a raccoon city based RE game.

- rayman is on the list

- so she finally learned how to be a lady

So, I'm playing Heretic and I wondered, is Doomsday Engine the best program to make it more "playable"? I can mostly manage but it's a hassle to play this with arrows on a laptop and the bells and whistles that come from a newer engine are quite nice too. It would be even better if I could launch all of this through Steam though. Any ideas? Or is this the best way to play Heretic/Hexen/Doom?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
gzdoom.

Just drop the files for it into the directory, delete or move dosbox.exe and rename gzdoom to that. Now steam will launch gzdoom. Make sure to set...

[Global.Autoload]
Path=lights.pk3
Path=brightmaps.pk3

...in the zdoom-yourname.ini to make the pretty lights happen. It auto-detects what it should and has like a million settings to make it just how you want.

I also HIGHLY RECOMMEND you start using bassmidi if you aren't already.

Here is how mine looks (I like pixels):

Tomodachi

Really satisfied with the AC:Brotherhood PC port, runs flawlessly so far and 1080p is really showing for itself with that level of ambient detail, I played the first two games on my now defunct 360 so I'm really seeing a huge improvement here.

legacyzero

Banned
I have to admit, my experience with AC BRO is certainly better with the framerate over 60. I dont remember it ever being that high on the 360. Wasn't it locked at 30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom