• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

I tried out Civilization V but after 2 minutes of looking at everything I just felt overwhelmed, it seems so complex, how long does it take to learn stuff and is it really worth it? I've never tried/played strategy before but I'm interested because of what the game is about I want to get into it but there seems to be so much to learn.

Aselith

Ha, not naming them is actually a pretty cool idea.

Feel free to steal it!

I tried out Civilization V but after 2 minutes of looking at everything I just felt overwhelmed, it seems so complex, how long does it take to learn stuff and is it really worth it? I've never tried/played strategy before but I'm interested because of what the game is about I want to get into it but there seems to be so much to learn.

Generally, the game will prompt you with a suggestion when you need to do something so you can mostly just let it guide you for the big picture stuff although obviously you'll do better when you actually know it all and can make good decisions for your own style of play. I'd play a few games and see how you do with the CPU help until you know stuff and then start actually trying to go off script a bit when you feel confident in the basics.

I believe there also is a more traditional tutorial in there that it'd definitely be a good idea to go through.

Also set the game to the absolute lowest difficulty.

Edit: I checked again and it doesn't give you as much guidance as I thought in the basic game. I came into it with a body of knowledge so I didn't really notice. Definitely go to the tutorial and do the "Learn as you play" option. I think that will help you a lot to not feel overwhelmed just trying to figure out the basics. It's actually a pretty streamlined game as TBS games go so it's definitely the one to learn on.

I just "finished" "playing" Dear Esther.

I need to "play" it again before I decide whether it's genius or full of itself. I'm leaning towards genius because I enjoyed it just so much. Definitely wouldn't recommend it to just anyone though...

General game spoilers:
wish the wall writings went just a little beyond some of the chemistry and basic bio although that might be a little too much to ask, but i'm always excited to use my college degree a little more! And no spacechem doesn't really count for that.

Also offline worked fine for me so I'm like 7 for 9 times now on that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'll post it here again, 'cause it seems nobody cared too lot in the bundle thread :)

If anyone's interested in Disciples II or Puzzle Kingdoms (or Bad Rats), just quote this message and you'll see the codes. It would be great if you only take one though.

mannerbot

I'll post it here again, 'cause it seems nobody cared too lot in the bundle thread :)

If anyone's interested in Disciples II or Puzzle Kingdoms (or Bad Rats), just quote this message and you'll see the codes. It would be great if you only take one though.

I think people cared and just didn't bother to post that they took codes. :x

Yep. Its all claimed.

Gibbo

really keen on getting Witcher 2 on steam. what is the general consensus with regards to a possible huge price cut in the next month or so tho?

If there is one feature I want Valve to add to Steam it's being able to hide games from your library. I'm getting pretty tired of looking at some of the shit I got from bundles.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
If there is one feature I want Valve to add to Steam it's being able to hide games from your library. I'm getting pretty tired of looking at some of the shit I got from bundles.

Yeah. I just added a 'Bundle Garbage' category to my library though, good enough for now.

My most-wanted feature at this point is chat logs.

Want to save all of our cybersex chats, eh Jase.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've said in the past that I'd like to see time tracking for non-Steam games, however I just noticed this is already implemented... but only within the overlay:

howdidinotnoticethisel9ued.jpg

Mind blown.

Want to save all of our cybersex chats, eh Jase.

Among others. :p

KarmaCow

Is FEAR 1 really 17 gigs or is that because Steam is including the two expansions? I want try FEAR 1 but 17 gigs is more than 1/6th of monthly bandwidth cap.

JaseC

Is FEAR 1 really 17 gigs or is that because Steam is including the two expansions? I want try FEAR 1 but 17 gigs is more than 1/6th of monthly bandwidth cap.

The latter. Though they're separate games, they download as one.

Is there any reason my Steam keep reinstalling DirectX stuff every time I launch a game?

I recently moved everything to a new drive AND ran that silly Steam Cleaner tool, if that helps.

Is there any reason my Steam keep reinstalling DirectX stuff every time I launch a game?

I recently moved everything to a new drive AND ran that silly Steam Cleaner tool, if that helps.

If you're starting a game for the first time that's normal, Steam just installs every redistributable you might need.

If it's happening after the first time, it's probably a bug that you can fix by going into the steamapps folder and deleting the installers.

JaseC

I'd like an answer to this, so I'll just quote myself:

Gift purchases are no different to regular purchases -- any pre-purchase content will be included (for instance, when I was gifted Max Payne 3 earlier today, I also received L.A. Noire). That said, in cases where the pre-purchase incentive is a giftable copy of a game the recipient already owns, I believe the spare copy is transferred to the inventory of the gift giver (this happened when I was gifted a Torchlight II pre-order).

svegis

Figured I'd throw this interview out there, since Red Orchestra 2 is on sale and all.
Seems like a bunch of nice people developing games for the fun of it, and making things that are worthy of your time.

Blizzard

Banned
Try manually updating DirectX outside of Steam.
I don't think this will help since a bunch of different Steam games require different versions of different DirectX-ish libraries. There may not be a way to get it to stop for some games, but I'd like to know if there is aside from just trying to delete the installer.

Relax.MX

Play the demo and find out?

110 kb/sec + Only today deal + Wife and baby with Netflix in the other room = I trust you XO

I can not spend all day on the pc, family day...

NOTE: There is the word "mandilon" for English? no? well only latinamericans..will understand

That game does look pretty fun to me, not sure if I wanna spring 6$ just for it or not. Other games don't really appeal to me.

I got it for a dollar when it was on sale a few winters ago. I played the game in windowed mode while watching other stuff online. Unlike other puzzle quest games, you can see the blocks that will appear for your next move instead of them being off screen. It makes for a very relaxed pace.

Blizzard

Banned
110 kb/sec + Only today deal + Wife and baby with Netflix in the other room = I trust you XO

NOTE: There is the word "mandilon" for English? no? well only latinamericans..will understand
*googles*

"It's a word used in México to refer to men who, instead of being the typical macho man around the house, helps with the home chores."

Hey, good for you, helping is good. :p

Smokey

Red Orchestra 2...worth $10? I know it was all kinds of fucked up at launch...but guess they just came out with a huge update?

MRORANGE

interivew with Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek:http://www.develop-online.net/features/1645/Friends-in-high-places

Valve writing duo Erik Wolpaw and Chet Faliszek reflect on a 25-year professional, and sometimes completely unprofessional, friendship

The two men behind it, Chet Faliszek (pictured, left) and Erik Wolpaw (right), were hired by Valve in 2005 and now just happen to be shaping some of the most important triple-A games in the industry.

It’s been quite a career rollercoaster for the two, who have remained close friends now for a quarter of a century.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Rondamón lo compraría.

naib

*googles*

"It's a word used in México to refer to men who, instead of being the typical macho man around the house, helps with the home chores."

Hey, good for you, helping is good. :p

I read it like "man-d-lion". Like a tough dandelion.
LOL. I'm Mr. Mom at least a couple days a week myself.

Reinstalling RO:2 now. Meant to start it Friday but D3 and GRFS have been keeping me busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom