• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aselith

Didn't they claim 15 million sales? If so, suckage all around. It could also means PC gamers have just abandoned it in greater numbers than the other platforms. I know I haven't touched in since early launch.

Again concurrent does not equal daily logins there could be hundreds of thousands logging on everyday but for 1 to 2 hour play session which not necessarily mean hundred thousand concurrent players.

Additionally, tons of people buy FPS games to play single player only. They never even go online.

Smokey

Moving a Steam Installation and Games

You can also leave Steam on the SSD and use symbolic links if you have Windows 7/Vista:

http://youtu.be/DpqzqVqR3K4

I have that Steam mover tool where I move games from my SSD over to the HDD. I think I only have 1 game that is actually on my SSD, the rest I have moved over. My issue now is overall space. Max Payne 3 for example is 35GB download, but I only have 24GB of space. I would usually download the game and then move it to the HDD via the tool, but of course I can't do that as I don't have enough space. That is why I was wanting to change the default path where Steam downloads the games.

Thanks for the link btw

Lingitiz

BF3 also isn't on Steam, for whatever that's worth, so it might be missing out on some potential players.

Yeah, I do have to wonder if there is a significant number of players missing out on BF3 because its not on Steam. I personally know a few people that just refuse to do anything with Origin.

HoosTrax

I was under the mistaken impression that the BF games were vastly more popular on PC than console because it does a better job of taking advantage of PC horsepower (unlike CoD). Maybe I'm wrong about Skyrim being most popular on PC as well?

I'm actually more curious about the fact that it's more popular on PS3 than 360 though. Or are the 360 people more interested in CoD?

Anyways, I was kind of interested in BF3 at the time, but the Origin thing, Skyrim coming out, die-hard BF2 fans saying it played too much like BF:BC2 instead of BF2 caused it to drop off my radar.

Yeah, I do have to wonder if there is a significant number of players missing out on BF3 because its not on Steam. I personally know a few people that just refuse to do anything with Origin.

*raises hand*

I don't mind Battle.net or GOG but Origin has no reason to exist as far as I am concerned. I don't mind never playing Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 or any future EA game. I will be sad when Dead Space 3 is inevitably announced as being Origin exclusive but that's not enough to break me.

Reuenthal said:
What? I am not sure how that would have helped. The Internet being down was a technical problem that was fixed and had nothing to do with what I could have done. The issue was that I couldn't play my games on steam.

I remember some people reporting that offline mode worked for them when they removed the LAN-cable. Because of reasons.

No seriously, I have no idea why but it seemed to do the trick.

What? I am not sure how that would have helped. The Internet being down was a technical problem that was fixed and had nothing to do with what I could have done. The issue was that I couldn't play my games on steam.
Sometimes unplugging the lan cable helps. Its the most common, easiest and quickest fix.

For a quick and easy comparison for a game that is popular on both the PC and the consoles we can look at BF3.

Currently:
PC online 59 281
PS3 online 75 154
360 online 62 456

http://bf3stats.com/

So the PC has fewer players than either console, though not considerably so.

One thing to take into account for BF3 and Steam is that the peak players on PC are almost always found in the evening-time for Europeans, that is to say around 6-10PM GMT, as Europe has more PC gamers, or at the very least more CS players. Peaks on the consoles tend to come during the US East Coast evening.

Oh wow thanks. Maybe its just that PC players tend to be more spread out with their online choices than console players. Every genre seems active on PC, but on console it seems that only shooters get attention with few exceptions. Or that PC has a shit load of people playing WoW or Starcraft as oppose to say Call of Duty. Actually probably both are true. I feel like an idiot for asking this.

Oh wow thanks. Maybe its just that PC players tend to be more spread out with their online choices than console players. Every genre seems active on PC, but on console it seems that only shooters get attention with few exceptions. Or that PC has a shit load of people playing WoW or Starcraft as oppose to say Call of Duty. Actually probably both are true. I feel like an idiot for asking this.

Well LoL reached 500,000 concurrent players last summer if I remember correctly. While it is F2P it is nonetheless roughly equal to MW3 on the consoles.

Well LoL reached 500,000 concurrent players last summer if I remember correctly. While it is F2P it is nonetheless roughly equal to MW3 on the consoles.

I will never understand these games. I tried HoN and I just couldn't get into it.

Speaking of games I tried getting into, I adored Red Orchestra 2 during this free weekend. I was shocked to hear about all of the issues it once had. This is why you don't rush your games to release. I would have dipped but I'm sorta tight on money now and $10 for RO2 is $10 toward CS:GO.

Blizzard

Banned
I remember some people reporting that offline mode worked for them when they removed the LAN-cable. Because of reasons.

No seriously, I have no idea why but it seemed to do the trick.
It's presumably because otherwise, assuming you have a router or cable modem that's still on, Steam sees the Ethernet connection is active and tries to connect. I don't know why it doesn't let you do offline mode there, but removing the cable directly from the PC (or right clicking the network adapter and disabling it) might convince Steam that yes you really have no connection.

Of course a reliable, easy to use offline mode without this being required would be great, but it's been however many years and I've kind of lost hope that will happen. :(

Amazon has Saints Row 3 for $16, but it's like playing Russian Roulette because the Summer Sale might have it for under $10.

I'll probably wait since Max Payne is right around the corner.

Amazon has Saints Row 3 for $16, but it's like playing Russian Roulette because the Summer Sale might have it for under $10.

I'll probably wait since Max Payne is right around the corner.

Wasnt it like 7€ some days ago?

I remember at least here in europe someone sold it for under 10€ for a day.

ZZMitch

Can anyone help me with this issue I am having?

I just bought Crusader Kings II on Amazon and registered the key with Steam. After that it said "You are about to install" and nothing else. After a while nothing happened so I hit next and it said that the game could not be installed and I had to cancel.

Can anyone help me with this issue I am having?

I just bought Crusader Kings II on Amazon and registered the key with Steam. After that it said "You are about to install" and nothing else. After a while nothing happened so I hit next and it said that the game could not be installed and I had to cancel.

Is the game in your library? Can you re-install from there?

zychi

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations for a wireless keyboard and mouse for couch gaming? I just purchased a wireless receiver for my 360 controller. I already own an apple bluetooth keyboard.

jediyoshi

Whoa, I haven't been paying attention. Didn't realize MP3 was pushed back to Friday. Really doesn't bode well for my finals the following week.

ProXimity

Banned
Red Orchestra 2 is the Bean's weens. I had a lot of fun with it. The first few minutes were frustrating because I thought it felt too weighty and slow-paced. When I got used to the movement and general game speed/gunplay, I was much more comfortable with it.

epmode

This one never seems to get much traction on GAF but Vessel is pretty great and it's on sale for $10. Good puzzles and one of my favorite soundtracks in recent years.

Anybody here that can use paypal, send me a friend request on Steam if you want to buy at U.S. prices. Steam name is Renix with the same avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom