• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Nancy Drew bundle sure is extensive:

Buy Nancy Drew Collector Pack

Includes 17 items: Nancy Drew®: Danger by Design, Nancy Drew®: Last Train to Blue Moon Canyon, Nancy Drew®: The Haunted Carousel, Nancy Drew®: Curse of Blackmoor Manor, Nancy Drew ®: Danger on Deception Island, Nancy Drew®: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake, Nancy Drew®: Legend of the Crystal Skull, Nancy Drew® Dossier™: Lights, Camera, Curses!, Nancy Drew®: Secret of the Old Clock, Nancy Drew®: Secret of the Scarlet Hand, Nancy Drew®: The Creature of Kapu Cave, Nancy Drew®: The Haunting of Castle Malloy, Nancy Drew®: The Phantom of Venice, Nancy Drew®: The White Wolf of Icicle Creek, Nancy Drew®: Ransom of the Seven Ships, Nancy Drew® Dossier™: Resorting to Danger!, Nancy Drew®: Warnings at Waverly Academy

I'm glad that the Nancy Drew games have terrible 3D graphics. Wouldn't want anybody to know what kind of sucker for teenage mysteries I am.

Anybody from GermanGAF should pick up the TKKG and Knickerbocker Bande games. They were awesome.

Mrbob

Figured I'd throw this interview out there, since Red Orchestra 2 is on sale and all.
Seems like a bunch of nice people developing games for the fun of it, and making things that are worthy of your time.

Yeah, Tripwire seems like a good company. I'm not a fan of World War 2 based games, though. However, once Killing Floor 2 is out I'm there day one.

Milamber

They should put the entire Gabriel Knight series on Steam instead, I'd take that over Nancy Drew. Is there a chance that titles on GoG will appear on Steam later on?

So there are 100 specials on right now, what of the indie darlings would you recommend?

I own Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Issac, Cave Story+, Osmos, Capsized, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Cthulhu Saves The World, Breath of Death VII, Frozen Synapse, Zombie Driver, Swords & Soldiers HD, Dungeons of Dredmor and Toki Tori.

I have thrown Braid and Nyx Quest into the cart (along with Indie Game: The Movie), are there any strong recommendations for anything else? World of Goo? Eufloria? The Baconing? The Penny Arcade rpgs? The Introversion Complete pack? Really Big Sky?

So there are 100 specials on right now, what of the indie darlings would you recommend?

I own Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Issac, Cave Story+, Osmos, Capsized, Anomaly: Warzone Earth, Cthulhu Saves The World, Breath of Death VII, Frozen Synapse, Zombie Driver, Swords & Soldiers HD, Dungeons of Dredmor and Toki Tori.

I have thrown Braid and Nyx Quest into the cart (along with Indie Game: The Movie), are there any strong recommendations for anything else? World of Goo? Eufloria? The Baconing? The Penny Arcade rpgs? The Introversion Complete pack? Really Big Sky?

Keep in mind that you'll most likely find everything for a lower price in the next Summer Sale. But I can recommend Braid and Rochard.

Just you watch, someone at Valve is reading through this thread right now and they've decided to now convince the dev put some Summer Sale achievements in some Nancy Drew games.

Blizzard

Banned

Out of those you asked about in the last paragraph, I definitely recommend World of Goo if you've somehow never played it before. Cute game, fun puzzler/construction game, good music if I recall correctly.

The Introversion pack is also probably pretty good...I didn't care too much for Uplink, but they the pack has at least rather unique games.

usea

I bought metal drift. Huge mistake. It makes you register with an email address. It gives you a randomly generated password that you can't change. You have to log in with your email and pass to play the game at all.

Steam should definitely give you a warning when games do shit like this, so you can avoid buying it.

I don't want to register with your shit, create an account, give you my email address. It's bullshit.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

World of Goo. One of the best (i kid you not) PC games ever. Everyone should have it. You may think "oh well, just some lame physics puzzler" but you just wait until you started it up. I think I cried at one point I can't tell because of spoilers.

I have a random question.

In the Steam: Game and Player Status. Are the numbers completely raw?

What I mean is that when it says there are "58,142" people currently playing Counter-Strike does that mean there are only 58,142 people playing it or its like per ten or something at its really 580,142? I mean that seems pretty inconsistent with the 4,500,000 currently logged on stat above it.

What I mean is that when it says there are "58,142" people currently playing Counter-Strike does that mean there are only 58,142 people playing it or its like per ten or something at its really 580,142? I mean that seems pretty inconsistent with the 4,500,000 currently logged on stat above it.

It's gross, as in total.

Many people, myself included, leave Steam on 24/7, thus inflating the currently logged in stat.

Rufus

Logged on just means people have the client running/are logged in. A lot of those could be people that have Steam start at boot up, too.
I think if you add up all games in the list you could come close to a million.

edit: About 750k, actually. Not that bad, either.

Logged on just means people have the client running/are logged in. A lot of those could be people that have Steam start at boot up, too.
I think if you add up all games in the list you could

This makes Steam seem much smaller. Doesn't Call of Duty on XBL alone have like a million players playing a night?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
CoD is also one of the biggest franchises around. It's not nearly as popular on PC as it is on consoles, too.

I laugh heartily every time somebody incorrectly assumes Call of Duty is more popular than Counter-Strike on the PC. I remember timing how long it took for CS to retake the top spot after MW3 released... it was about 4 weeks, I think.

Edit: Skyrim aside, obviously. And on that note, 280k is a ridiculously high bar.

I laugh heartily every time somebody incorrectly assumes Call of Duty is more popular than Counter-Strike on the PC. I remember timing how long it took for CS to retake the top spot after MW3 released... it was about 4 weeks, I think.

But Call of Duty isn't tied just to Steam. Do you compare it to all servers in general or just Steam servers?

Rufus

Edit: Skyrim aside, obviously. And on that note, 280k is a ridiculously high bar.

Yeah, that was pretty crazy. Still in the top ten, too. For a single player game that's quite amazing.

Football Manager 2012 surprised me with its popularity, too.

Aselith

This makes Steam seem much smaller. Doesn't Call of Duty on XBL alone have like a million players playing a night?

There's a pretty big difference between concurrent logins and nightly logins althoigh there's no denying that hardcore PC gaming is a much smaller market the console gaming

Durante

Gabe got me again.

I just bought Civ V even though I don't really have time for a game like this. I downloaded it to try during the free period, and one scientific victory and 5 hours later I thought 10€ is simply too hard to resist :(

ArjanN

Personally I think 58,142 people is pretty good for a game that is 13. years. old.

There's a pretty big difference between concurrent logins and nightly logins althoigh there's no denying that hardcore PC gaming is a much smaller market the console gaming

I think on PC people tend to be spread out along much more games. Games also seem to have online communties for much longer on PC.

For a quick and easy comparison for a game that is popular on both the PC and the consoles we can look at BF3.

Currently:
PC online 59 281
PS3 online 75 154
360 online 62 456

http://bf3stats.com/

So the PC has fewer players than either console, though not considerably so.

One thing to take into account for BF3 and Steam is that the peak players on PC are almost always found in the evening-time for Europeans, that is to say around 6-10PM GMT, as Europe has more PC gamers, or at the very least more CS players. Peaks on the consoles tend to come during the US East Coast evening.

Enco

For a quick and easy comparison for a game that is popular on both the PC and the consoles we can look at BF3.

Currently:
PC online 59 281
PS3 online 75 154
360 online 62 456

http://bf3stats.com/

So the PC has fewer players than either console, though not considerably so.

One thing to take into account for BF3 and Steam is that the peak players on PC are almost always found in the evening-time for Europeans, that is to say around 6-10PM GMT, as Europe has more PC gamers, or at the very least more CS players. Peaks on the consoles tend to come during the US East Coast evening.
This is pretty surprising.

Reuenthal

Banned
So for the first time yesterday my Internet was down and I wanted to play games on steam. I guess that it was the first time might seem surprising to people but that is the way it was at least as far as I remember maybe it happened in the past too and I forgot.

I couldn't. I clicked on trying offline mode and I got a message that I couldn't connect with steam network or something. Also there was an updating steam message.

So for the first time yesterday my Internet was down and I wanted to play games on steam. I guess that it was the first time might seem surprising to people but that is the way it was at least as far as I remember maybe it happened in the past too and I forgot.

I couldn't. I clicked on trying offline mode and I got a message that I couldn't connect with steam network or something. Also there was an updating steam message.

Did you try pulling out your LAN cable?

Smokey

Question: I currently have Steam on my SSD. When I download games, it of course wants to put them on there. Running out of space so I want to move Steam onto my HDD. Is it simply a matter of copying the Steam folder that is on the SSD over to the HDD?

So despite owning Civ V since January 1st, I finally started it this weekend. Having never played a Civ game before (and very few other strategy games), I am absolutely in love. I lost 6 hours to it yesterday, and even dreamt about it last night.

It's dangerous. So glad I got it though.

wazoo

Question: I currently have Steam on my SSD. When I download games, it of course wants to put them on there. Running out of space so I want to move Steam onto my HDD. Is it simply a matter of copying the Steam folder amthat is on the SSD over to the HDD?

you can use steam mover and make think steam apps are the SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom