• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daily Deal - Alice: Madness Returns $5.99 (80% off).

It's $9.99 in my region, fuck you EA.

Played this recenly and really wanted to enjoy it, but in retrospect I feel like I wasted my time by playing it. Every level, while uniqe in design, goes on forever and is HIGHLY repetitive.

They had a few good ideas and for some reason wanted to make a 20 hour game with them. Didn't work out.

Spwn

The biggest flaw of Alice: Madness Returns is the lack of enemy variety. You just keep killing those black ooze monsters over and over again. They had pretty nice concepts for other enemy types, but all were cut due to "time constrains". :(

Tomodachi

Lately I've been having problems with the wishlist, it does not always displays prices for all games. It's got 50-something games in it so I thought that might be the problem, too many prices to display. Anyone else having the same issue?

Hey posted in the DD thread but I can help withthe US price as well. Sitting here at work with really nothing to do because of the holiday. Drop me a pm if you need it.

1-D_FTW

Picked up Alice when Amazon had the Origin version for $6 a couple of days ago...

I almost never log into Origin, but I'm pretty sure the Steam version gets added to your Origin library too. You're forced to enter your account info to play, and they use that to add it to your library.

5.99$ is actually a price point where I might recommend someone check it out.

That's some cold shit right there. Why do think it's that bad? Did you dislike the platforming and/or combat? I've tried Madness Returns, rather enjoyed what I played of it, the mechanics were serviceable but the atmosphere is amazing, it's a beautiful and stylised game, love the overall aesthetic of the characters and environments. At 6$ I'll add it to my Steam collection.

Cmagus

$5.99 for Alice? you'd be dumb not to pick it up at that price it is so good. I picked up Batman: Arkham City last night on Steam so far I am really liking it.

Oh man, I was going to purchase Alice but apparently I bought it during one of the Steam sales.

It's kinda sad. I have such a big backlog that I don't even know what games I own anymore.

Alex

I liked Alice a lot, had some iffy spots but ultimately it's the only non Mario 3d platformer I've liked in awhile. Good b tier game with great art direction

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
That's some cold shit right there. Why do think it's that bad? Did you dislike the platforming and/or combat? I've tried Madness Returns, rather enjoyed what I played of it, the mechanics were serviceable but the atmosphere is amazing, it's a beautiful and stylised game, love the overall aesthetic of the characters and environments. At 6$ I'll add it to my Steam collection.

I just found it very drab from a gameplay perspective and the environments were dragged out to the point where they became completely uninteresting visually.

MRORANGE

reading some Alice review, made me end up buying the game.

ZCy8V.png

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Alice is one of the very few games I'd say is *too long*.

I normally like long games, but Alice drags it's levels and concepts well beyond the point of them being redundant and boring.

Whereas most games introduce you to a new concept/puzzle with an easy version, then a harder one, then pushing the complexity to it's furthest. Alice just does the middle one 50 times over in a level.

Kerrinck

Alice is one of the very few games I'd say is *too long*.

I normally like long games, but Alice drags it's levels and concepts well beyond the point of them being redundant and boring.

Whereas most games introduce you to a new concept/puzzle with an easy version, then a harder one then pushing the complexity to it's furthest. Alice just does the middle one 50 times over in a level.

Felt exactly the same. Had to force myself to finish the game.
Only thing that kept me going was the art style and the fact that it had been a while since last playing a platformer.

zkylon

zkylewd
Huh, seems Alice is $9.99 here for some reason. For $4.99, though, I'd recommend everyone gave it a shot just for the artstyle and only if you got a controller. I kinda like 3D platforming so I didn't mind the floaty controls and combat was kinda fun, but the game drags on and on so long that you start to hate what you're doing.

I'd recommend normal difficulty, by the way. I played it on hard, hoping for a decent challenge, and I got it, but it just made the game longer, and in the end I wasn't really having fun with it.

Whereas most games introduce you to a new concept/puzzle with an easy version, then a harder one then pushing the complexity to it's furthest. Alice just does the middle one 50 times over in a level.
Perfect.

Randy

I already posted in the Steam Gifting thread, but I think the offer is about to expire, so I'm gonna throw it in here too. Is there a friendly UK GAF'er who can gift me the Max Payne 3 pre-order with LA Noire? I can Paypal of course. Steam ID is Zoro. (And feel free to add me regardless of my question, always nice to have a healthy pool of players to game with.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom