• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy

Quite a few people added me for Max Payne 3 and Alice gifts from the UK and I've had no problem gifting it to them but then some people just turn up and make me take the hit for paypal charges so I'm paying out of my own pocket I don't know what else to do even when I specifically say take the charge too. Just had to vent somewhere..

Sorry to hear... I thought it was pretty obvious in the PayPal payment screen. Thanks for the excellent gifting, Detox!

"Everybody" can't make an RPG Maker game, mind.

Everybody can also use a keyboard but that doesn't mean all books that are typed using a keyboard are crap.

This is a really stupid argument. I don't really care how "hard" something is to create. I care whether or not the end product is good, original, intelligent, etc. Things shouldn't be valued based upon the amount of work someone put into them. They should be valued based upon what you think the end product is worth.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I doubt they do it on purpose.
At least where I live, Paypal doesn't tell properly what are the fees, I don't have the option to receive gifts, and so the users sending me the money don't have the direct option to pay those fees out of their pocket - so I just calculate the amount they need to send me with ppcalc.com (it's usually accurate) and tell them to pay (at least) this much. This solves the issue for me...

Yes, this. It's (mostly) not the users' fault, but Paypals.

vall03

hmmm Alice at $9.99 is tempting. Would love to get it again but I already have a retail copy of it. Oh well, less purchases for me. Just have to wait for Ys Origin this week.

I don't get how you can miss the fees. Here (but it might not be the case everywhere), paypal is pretty transparent about what you pay and what the person on the other side will receive. Hell, you can choose the amount you want the other to receive, rather than what you want to pay.

edit: seeing the other posts, I guess it depends on regions. Which is weird considering how universal this feature should be.

Sye d'Burns

I don't get how you can miss the fees. Here (but it might not be the case everywhere), paypal is pretty transparent about what you pay and what the person on the other side will receive. Hell, you can choose the amount you want the other to receive, rather than what you want to pay.

edit: seeing the other posts, I guess it depends on regions. Which is weird considering how universal this feature should be.

url87.jpg

I'm not seeing how people would miss this either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Really tempted to get Alice. What are the chances it will be even cheaper during the summer sale? 80% off is a pretty damn good sale, but I guess the base price could go down...?

And how demanding is it? My laptop can comfortably run stuff like Skyrim, Diablo 3, Just Cause 2, etc.

dani_dc

...I'm sorry, are you blindly dissing Breath Of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves The World and To The Moon? Behave yourself! :mad:

Actually, Breath of Death VII and Cthullu Saves the World were both made using XNA, not RPG Maker.

Though I agree with the sentiment, what matters is the end result, not which tool was used to produce the result.

Madridy

url87.jpg

I'm not seeing how people would miss this either.

That is only for the US probably? Since in my region, Paypal doesn't say what are the fees nor does it give us the option to take the fee.

Also I can't sent personal payments like Gifts nor receive. The only options we get when sending payments are:
- Goods
- eBay item
- Service/Other

You'll have to calculate the fees externally using online calculators and such.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
That is only for the US probably? Since in my region, Paypal doesn't say what are the fees nor does it give us the option to take the fee.

Also I can't sent personal payments like Gifts nor receive. The only options we get when sending payments are:
- Goods
- eBay item
- Service/Other

You'll have to calculate the fees externally using online calculators and such.

Yup. This screen isn't shown for example in german Paypal at all, and you can't select "gifts" either. Basically all options are tax-included, and if people don't know that, they aren't even aware they sent less money than they told PP to send.

Really tempted to get Alice. What are the chances it will be even cheaper during the summer sale? 80% off is a pretty damn good sale, but I guess the base price could go down...?

And how demanding is it? My laptop can comfortably run stuff like Skyrim, Diablo 3, Just Cause 2, etc.

Won't be cheaper.

PhysX can be pretty demanding. But dat hair.

fwKD8.gif

mr. grape

It's not very demanding, if you can play those games comfortably, you'll have no problems with Alice. PhysX can be demanding, but that's about it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Won't be cheaper.

PhysX can be pretty demanding. But dat hair.

fwKD8.gif

Yeah, I'd probably have to run it with the PhysX stuff turned off.

But how good is the game really? Like I said, I'm tempted (and I did enjoy the original), but... I don't know, the gameplay doesn't necessarily look terribly interesting.

It's not very demanding, if you can play those games comfortably, you'll have no problems with Alice. PhysX can be demanding, but that's about it.

Thanks. Although when I say "comfortably", I don't mean that I'm getting a constant 60 fps (which I guess is what some people mean when they say that). But they do run rather smoothly (typically 30-60 fps depending on the location and what's going on, with occasional dips below that) on High-ish settings.

One question:

I've backed up my old steam folder onto a separate HDD, I've just copied the Steamapps data into my new steam directory but it's not seeing any of my games. Any ideas?

NEW PAGE - BUY ALICE

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah, I'd probably have to run it with the PhysX stuff turned off.

But how good is the game really? Like I said, I'm tempted (and I did enjoy the original), but... I don't know, the gameplay doesn't necessarily look terribly interesting.

If you enjoy 3D platformers it's great. Not without fault, but you'd be hard pressed to regret $6 on it.

None of Alice herself is done with Physx, her hair/clothes look the same on low as they do with high (I don't think there was off, just low/medium/high). Actually maybe the butterflies are when you phase around, but they're not too big a deal.

Definitely run it at 60 fps though, by fixing the ini file, looks much nicer than the hard-locked 30 it runs by default.

I liked it. I think it kinda got a bum rap. It's nothing new, but it is an actual 3d platformer--rare these days. The spooky art is really consistent. There's only one portion of the game that's a bitch.

I think it is one of those games that isn't very good but is still worth buying and playing.

Completed Homefront in one sitting. Now I never have to play Homefront again.

It's alright I guess. I was playing it in hope that it got more Red Dawn-y as the game went on but it didn't. My favourite parts were the battle for White Castle and smoking koreans outside of a Hooters. Graphics looked ok. Texture quality was low and the people were super shiny at points. Oh, and there was soooo much lens flair. Other than that it's pretty forgettable and the scripting broke about three times.

I'd probably give it a C. It was worth the 3 euro I paid for it but it probably wasn't worth my monday evening. At least now I know what Homefront was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Completed Homefront in one sitting. Now I never have to play Homefront again.

It's alright I guess. I was playing it in hope that it got more Red Dawn-y as the game went on but it didn't. My favourite parts were the battle for White Castle and smoking koreans outside of a Hooters. Graphics looked ok. Texture quality was low and the people were super shiny at points. Oh, and there was soooo much lens flair. Other than that it's pretty forgettable and the scripting broke about three times.

I'd probably give it a C. It was worth the 3 euro I paid for it but it probably wasn't worth my monday evening. At least now I know what Homefront was.

Everything about this is too generous :p

Jdez15

Banned
I'm a noob when it comes to PC games, I just got into it a year ago, but the main game I still play is TF2, I have around 700 hours put into that great game. Patrol around on the GoEngi server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom