• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

lol at balking at a game's price based on something like it being done in flash. Come on.
Actually, while the RPGMaker bit is weak I DO think Flash being a reason to avoid can be legitimate, if only because of how Flash games handle saves and fail to recognize controllers. It'd be nice for my saves to be stored somewhere more permanent than the Flash cache directory! But maybe we'll get lucky with Binding of Isaac and they'll convert it to C+ eventually like with VVVVVV.

And... I was planning to wait on Alice until Origin had it on sale, but then they had to pull the original Alice because EA sucks. Maybe that'll pop up on GOG or something, but I'm in no rush to grab it and will probably just get on consoles or something later.

I just checked for you, it's definitely using Steamworks so it's gonna be on Steam from the beginning. That someone lied to you or didn't know any better.

For what it's worth, there have been a few steamworks games that weren't sold on steam at launch in specific reasons.

Though of course copies bought elsewhere will activate on steam.

Suddenly not so sure I want a Steam Summer Sale. I need my money for something else. Can't be much more on Steam I can buy. Can't be. Can't... Be...

For what it's worth, there have been a few steamworks games that weren't sold on steam at launch in specific reasons.

Though of course copies bought elsewhere will activate on steam.

Mostly (if not exclusively) Bethesda stuff and also only in the UK if I'm not mistaken. I don't think Borderlands 2 is gonna be affected.

Nabs

When you land on the main menu, scroll left or right till you hit Options. Then go down one to 'Option:' and scroll left/right till the video options show up.

You can delete the 3 .bik files in the video folder to skip the startup movies

Here's a link to a list of the xbox controls to match up if you're binding a gamepad
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=42161&tab=controls

I'm rolling with controls similar to Hot Pursuit, it works well.

jediyoshi

I'm rolling with controls similar to Hot Pursuit, it works well.

It does seem to be right before the time that analogue acceleration was standard. Throws me off a bit since I usually prefer the bottom face button as the handbrake even though I think it messes with selection buttons in the menus.

Nabs

It does seem to be right before the time that analogue acceleration was standard. Throws me off a bit since I usually prefer the bottom face button as the handbrake even though I think it messes with selection buttons in the menus.

Just a little bit. I think on the main menu Hand Break = Accept, Nitro = Back. Once you're in game and playing, the menu works the way you have it set up in the options.

I have Nitro - A, HB - X, Weight - B, Look back - Y. Cam - RB, Lights - LB, Gas/Break - Triggers.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm really on the fence about Alice. GAF says a lot of good stuff about it, but I dunno if I'll like it. Didn't play the previous game.

Rufus

I'm really on the fence about Alice. GAF says a lot of good stuff about it, but I dunno if I'll like it. Didn't play the previous game.
This doesn't matter, for one.

It's a good game, with quite disturbing story and genuinely pretty graphics and art. The camera can be annoying sometimes and some section aren't that great, but nothing sticks out in my mind as terrible.

Salsa

alice-madness-returns_2011_03-08-11_004.jpg

35364-alice-madness-returns-viii-by-gelvuun-d3kmkld.jpg

alice-madness-returns-dead-end-thrills-02.jpg

AliceMadnessReturns2011-09-0220-53-24-34.jpg

hysteria-bloody-vorpal.jpg

AliceMadnessReturns2011-07-0905-40-18-26.jpg

AliceMadnessReturns2011-07-0216-45-47-35.jpg

you people are missing one of the most unique games this gen

Salsa

That's nice and all, but if it's not actually fun I don't really care how it looks :V

Exploring different environments can be fun. But if you're talking strictly about gameplay then I find it to be really, really fun. The combat works like OOT (locking onto enemies and whatnot), and it has some great platforming sections. Triple-jump (even quadruple?) is a lot of fun. It's fast paced and it flows really well. I think its a great game.

That's nice and all, but if it's not actually fun I don't really care how it looks :V

The gameplay is pretty average to poor, platforming and combat. If you like your style or the source material, go for it, well worth it as it can easily carry the game. But if you are the type to boot something up, think "yeah that is cool I suppose" and never touch it again because it isn't all that much fun, best to pass.

On the other hand this is steam and it is 80% off. So even if you do not buy it today, you asked the question so you will give in eventually. Might as well get it now so you can start downloading.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Here's the thing about Alice: Madness Returns.

It looks gorgeous, and has some great variety in its art direction.

However, the reason I stopped playing it halfway through is because it's so long and repetitive. Combat is okay, platforming is tight and responsive, but still unexciting, the writing is surprisingly shitty, and the soundtrack is unmemorable. I don't know, I liked it, but it seems to drag on so fucking long with these insanely monotonous objectives and repetitive mission structure. It just became really annoying really quickly.

The M.O.B

Hated Alice, combat was annoying, platforming was poor.

The combat was the simplest thing out there..........what exactly was annoying about it?

Block, dodge, shoot em then get up close and slice. If anything the combat was repetitive.

Again, the platforming wasn't poor to me, just basic and pretty easy.

Sye d'Burns

The combat was the simplest thing out there..........what exactly was annoying about it?

Block, dodge, shoot em then get up close and slice. If anything the combat was repetitive.

I could see something being repetitive to the point of annoyance. It sounds more like a distinction without a difference.

Derrick01

Banned
Alice was ok but it went on far too long and got boring about halfway. Granted I'm not a platformer guy as I find them ALL repetitive but steam says I finished it in 12 hours and that's just way too long when there's no variety or big new mechanics introduced.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Anyone know any decent performance tweaks for GTA IV? Are there any in the first place?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Didn't get midnight club 2. Was it US only or something? I was in the group.

Did you join the group before the deadline?

Edit: Re: Alice: I loved it. Even with its faults it was second only to Portal 2 as my favourite game of 2011.

jediyoshi

That note doesn't mean it doesn't work, it simply means that if it doesn't, they won't help you.

I meant there's tons of older games that don't have that note at all so the fact they went out of their way to add it was peculiar. The thread about the offer was filled with skeptical people taking it not working as its meaning.

Again, the platforming wasn't poor to me, just basic and pretty easy.
Here's a room of bad guys to make the pad the levels longer than they need to be. And yes the repetition was my main concern. The PC port doesn't have the best controls either.

Nabs

Good thing Midnight Club II isn't published by EA. I was able to get a few online races and CTF matches going tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom