• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also...

I already tried reinstalling the installers in the Install folder in Metro 2033. Still won't run. Always crashes upon starting up. =/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just finished the (Origin version of) Crysis 2, and all that's on my mind is how equally dreadful the story and AI were.

GA76I.jpg

I played on Veteran and still managed to push through entire levels just by enabling armour mode and mashing the melee button.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Right. There.

Where have you?

Under a rock.

And now I can't get it to stop crashing on me.
jBVD6xPbv4rdL.png

I just finished the (Origin version of) Crysis 2, and all that's on my mind is how equally dreadful the story and AI were.

Some of the worst AI I've seen. I watched so many enemies just 'break.' Either got caught on something or just randomly freeze. Was kind of amusing the first couple times, but yeahhhhh.

JaseC

Some of the worst AI I've seen. I watched so many enemies just 'break.' Either got caught on something or just randomly freeze. Was kind of amusing the first couple times, but yeahhhhh.

There is no number that can accurately quantify how many times this happened.

Edit: Beyond that, the game is littered with little annoying bugs. The one that irked me the most was being unable to pick up additional JAW ammo when the particular one I was carrying had no spare rockets.

http://i.imgur.com/GA76I.jpg[IMG]

I played on Veteran and still managed to push through entire levels just by enabling armour mode and mashing the melee button.[/QUOTE]

Don't do this to me. I was looking forward to Crysis 2: Maximum Edition coming to Steam.

Lingitiz

Just finished replaying Portal 2, what an amazing game. After finishing it, I really wish I had put it at my top spot for Gaf's GOTY last year (wouldn't matter since it won anyways but still). It managed to get me in a big Valve mood so I immediately downloaded these two. Can't wait to replay them, I haven't gone through either since they launched. I really don't remember much from Episode one since I kinda rushed through it to get to Episode 2 when the Orange Box came out. Hopefully I'll have time to do some sort of writeup after I finish them.

tearsofash

Just bought Cthulhu Saves The World and Breath of Death VII. Already beat BoD7 on my Xbox, but I'm too lazy to even boot up Cthulhu. If I have it on my PC I might actually play it. Not double dipping on Alice, got a budget.

I'm wondering, what are the most popular steam game on Gaf ? What games are the most represented in ours libraries ? From The orange box (TF2 being F2P now, Portal being free for some time), to Sequence or now Midnight Club 2 giveaway.

Yaska

Might sound dumb, but did you join the right group? Someone earlier on a different forum thought they joined it, but they actually joined the Rockstar Games Official Group instead of the regular Rockstar Games group.

This, as I got it (Finland) and friend from Belgium got it. No messages or anything, just popped in my games list.

JaseC

Man, I need to play the Half-Life series but don't know if it's too late to get into it.

It's never too late to experience the the pinnacle of FPS! ;)

How outdated is HL1?

I haven't played it in 13 years (waiting on Half-Life 3 to be around the corner before I play it -- and the series -- again), so I can't offer any particulars, but most seem to enjoy it even today, with the oudated aspects not impacting the overall experience.

Edit:
dont know if you have the time man, HL3 right around the corner

Whoa.

Eusis

played HL1 last year still looks a lot better than most games from the 90's
And more importantly (to me) it controls about as well as any modern game would anyway, it was one of the earlier ones when WASD became the standard. So, yeah, unless the lower poly graphics are abhorrent to you it's a great game to go back to still. At worst anyone spoiled by stuff like regenerating health, cover, and actually prefers only two-four weapons at a time is going to have trouble getting in HL2 anyway.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
played HL1 last year still looks a lot better than most games from the 90's
Half-Life looked pretty bad on release with the exception of elements like that robot in the intro which I thought looked super realistic at the time with the specular on its chrome parts (but wasn't, I'd just been a console gamer). It wasn't the graphics that could keep people playing. The later Blueshift pack improves the character/enemy/weapon models significantly, but does nothing for the boxy levels and their textures. But I guess you're right as it came out near the end of the 90s so it has like 8 years worth of often far older games to be compared to, many of them with primitive and hybrid 3D solutions. Even Wolfenstein 3D qualifies.

But yeah, it's worth playing for sure as that game structure is great and still isn't very common, sadly. The whole continuous world and feeling of adventure deal over level based shooting galleries. Plus, it's a lot better than Half-Life 2, graphics aside.

Although the shooting mechanics and enemy reactions could have used some work even back then. If you can get Counter-Life (iirc) working properly these days it might be better played with it, as it basically replaces the weapons with those from Counter-Strike, including their behaviour, as in recoil and the like, which feel better and more modern for the single player game.

I'm not sure how balanced it was, but they were integrated well enough, buying them from health stations and stuff.

mr. grape

Man, I need to play the Half-Life series but don't know if it's too late to get into it.

How outdated is HL1?

You're in for a treat, Half-Life is one of my favorite PC game series of all time. I played HL1 for the first time a few months ago and thought it was great, so I don't think it's outdated enough that you won't enjoy it.

JaseC

Half-Life looked pretty bad on release with the exception of elements like that robot in the intro which I thought looked super realistic at the time with the specular on its chrome parts (but wasn't, I'd just been a console gamer).

It was fine for a 1998 title. Unreal aside, I don't think its competition looked any better (e.g. Rainbow Six and SiN).

He loves Half-Life and F.E.A.R.

I thought I could believe him.

His preference for Crysis 2 belies his otherwise fine taste. :(

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Even Unreal's level geometry didn't look any better than Half-Life's. In fact, I would actually say Half-Life looked consistently better in that area.

Ledsen

Relative to other games the writing is great. I just like how big a vocabulary everyone has :p

It's just that it's hard not to compare it to the books when they obviously have tried to emulate the style completely... I don't know that it was such a great choice.

Any UK gaffer here willing to help me out with Alice?

Was thinking to ask the same thing. Wasn't there a thread for this? Can't find it, sorry if I'm too newb.

I mainly want to pay in TF2 keys if this is possible @ about £0.9 / key ($1.41 / key), looking to buy up to 3, maybe 4 copies.
Feel free to add me on Steam if you can do this: Steam Profile

That would be trading, check this thread out for that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465398

Very right indeed, I did post here: Team Fortress 2 Trading |OT|

Since there are only a couple of hours left, I wanted to reach out to more people. I just found out about this deal a few hours ago. TF2 keys is kind of the gamers currency, so it might be easier/safer than paypal for some here :)

Also, could do paypal too (verified), even if I prefer to pay with keys.

daxy

Same. I also posted in the Official DD (Steam/D2D/etc) gifting thread yesterday but had no luck so far, and there are other three guys looking for someone as well. I don't want to miss the deal :(

[This guy] helped me get it for the UK price. He posted [here] that he'd do this for other people. He seems reliable, but as always be careful.

I'm having a blast with Alice: Madness Returns. If you're into 3D platformers and you haven't played it yet, it's definitely worth checking out. The gameplay is solid.

edit: Oh, I see you got it. That's nice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom