• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo Act

It's forcing good habits on Steam users. Stop buying EA games day 1 and wait for the best version.

I'm fine with this. I would prefer having the games on launch day, but I have no problem waiting a year or so to get their games sans Origin. Crysis 2 was on Steam and got pulled at one point, so this might be a red herring in regards to EA using Steam as their version of the dollar movie theater.

I am excited to have the game available again, but I'll be even more excited once a game that released after the Origin-Steam breakup happened, like Syndicate or NFS The Run. Not that I'm interested in either of those games, I just want to see if EA will release them on Steam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Are there times when you die from the unexpected? Yes
Is this what I was referring to? Yes.

This is just plain a lie. Limbo's puzzles are largely physics based. Finding the solutions isn't just about doing random things until something works. It works logically.

...but that doesn't mean the solutions are all just about being monkey bashing on different buttons.
Is this what I was referring to? No.

Is this what I was referring to? Yes.

Is this what I was referring to? No.

You said "the whole game" is "trial and error." That is demonstrably false. It wouldn't even be true that the majority of the game is trial and error. It makes as much sense as saying a strategy game or playing chess is all "trial and error.". If you didn't like the game, fine. But your characterization of it is incorrect.

The whole game is built around the concept of trial and error which is why you get checkpoints about 5 seconds before every error you can make. And the coolest bits of the game comes from making those errors.

I'm not sure the way they implemented things should be grouped with typical trial and error bullshit.

Yeah, that became pretty obvious when you saw the deliberately gruesome death animations.

ShaneB

Well as I stated earlier, because I'm feeling generous as I was spoiled last week for my birthday on Sunday, I will buy someone something.

But I don't really know what in particular, so first one to quote this and pick out 10$ worth in games gets em all for free from me :)

edit: Grats to Greyvvolf for picking Vessel :)

Nabs

Well as I stated earlier, because I'm feeling generous as I was spoiled last week for my birthday on Sunday, I will buy someone something.

But I don't really know what in particular, so first one to quote this and pick out 10$ worth in games gets em all for free from me :)

You should buy a bunch of Horrid Henry gifts.

Don't want anything, but you're awesome.

Don't want anything, just telling you that you're awesome for being so generous :)

Edit: Damn you, Steve!

Flunkie

Banned

$10 worth of Horrid Henry gifts sent out randomly to your friends

edit: beaten lol

Greyvvolf

Vessel is $9.99, would that count?

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I picked up Rayman Origins during the Ubi sale a week back. Has anyone else had trouble having the game recognize a wired 360 controller? I have tested it in other games and it works fine, but with Rayman it is like it isn't even plugged in.

On the off chance.

Edit: Tooooo late?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I picked up Rayman Origins during the Ubi sale a week back. Has anyone else had trouble having the game recognize a wired 360 controller? I have tested it in other games and it works fine, but with Rayman it is like it isn't even plugged in.

I had the same issue, albeit with a wireless X360 controller. At first I thought the knock-off wireless receiver I bought wasn't working properly, but Kingdoms of Amalur detected the controller just fine. As I later discovered, the game detects the controller but doesn't switch to it, so it's just a matter of manually binding the buttons via the options menu.

Nabs

Oh, and Happy Birthday.

Have you tried manually binding each button?

I have to plug it in before I start the game up in order for it to register.

Indie Game the Movie! I guarntee it wouldn't jut sit in a library. It would be watched. ;)

ArjanN

You said "the whole game" is "trial and error." That is demonstrably false. It wouldn't even be true that the majority of the game is trial and error. It makes as much sense as saying a strategy game or playing chess is all "trial and error.". If you didn't like the game, fine. But your characterization of it is incorrect.

I'd have to agree with him most of the gameplay is very "trial & error" based.

A lot of it boils down to:

Enter new area.
Checkpoint.
Get killed by something there was almost no way you could see coming the first time.
Watch neat death scene.
Continue from checkpoint and avoid the deathtrap you now know is there.
Enter new area.

I still really liked the game and because of the constant checkpointing it wasn't much of an issue to me but I know some people didn't like some of the "cheap" deaths.

Screaming_Gremlin

Have you tried manually binding each button?

Yeah, I have tried that. I select the function I want to bind (jump), but when I hit the A key on my controller nothing happens. If I try to rebind it to something on my keyboard it works fine.

I have to plug it in before I start the game up in order for it to register.

I had tried it having it already plugged in and waiting to plug it in after the game started with no difference so far.

Frustrating, but I guess this has been my first real issue with a PC game in over a year, so I guess I can't complain too much. I'll have to mess around with it a bit more to see if I can figure something out.

MRORANGE

Yeah, that didn't work for me, so I emailed them and they put Crysis and Warhead straight on my account in just a few minutes. Very tight work really.

EDIT: Actually, they didn't do Warhead that first time, I asked for that later.

I have both Retail and Steam versions of Crysis and that site does not let me register them onto my origin account, although as you mentioned I have to directly contact support to resolve the issue, I find this inexcusable and in all honesty I want to play the game the in the DD client that I bought the game from originally without having to deal with limited activation's for a game that came out 5 years ago.

Awesome thing to do ShaneB

ShaneB

ShaneB's generosity has inspired me. I know it's not as much, but free Binding of Isaac to the first quote.

:D Not quoting for the free game, but just saying there's no need to downplay generosity :) A free game is enough to make someone smile, and that's what matters :)

Screaming_Gremlin

Bizarre, apparently I just figured out the problem I was having with Rayman. My flight stick also being plugged in was causing the issue. As soon as I unplugged it and restarted the game I was able to bind the buttons back to my 360 controller.

MRORANGE

Steam Community is saying I own an extra 100+ games than the usual tally that steam community says.

I know it's not correct to look at my profile for actaul number of games owned but two days ago it was 360 games :S must be some upcoming DLC

Steam Community is saying I own an extra 100+ games than the usual tally that steam community says.

I know it's not correct to look at my profile for actaul number of games owned but two days ago it was 360 games :S must be some upcoming DLC

Mine's doing the same thing. It was at... 227 earlier and right now it's at 357.

Same, It says I have 354 games. I'm pretty sure it said a had around 200 games a while ago.

Tomodachi

I was really critic of Limbo when I played it, perhaps because everyone overhyped it for me and I was expecting little masterpiece. Now, a year later or so, I really think it was a solid experience with great puzzles that never got repetitive, and that's something you can't really say for many modern games with this structure. It's also pretty haunting throughout the whole length.
It's weird, I think it really has grown on me during these months of not thinking back about the game at all.

The_End

I just checked my game list in the community section in my client and it looks like it's now counting Demos as games that I own. I even have demos for games that I've never heard of, let alone ever downloaded in my game list.

AlexBasch

Huh, Crysis 2 isn't available in my country it seems. I keep getting redirected to the front store page when clicking the link posted earlier.

I just checked my game list in the client and it looks like it's now counting Demos as games that I own. I even have demos for games that I've never heard of let alone never downloaded in my game list.

Yeah, I even see some free-to-play games in there that I have never played.

AlexBasch

Strange, I searched manually and only got Crysis 1, Warhead and the pack, link worked tho, thanks.

Oh well, crossing fingers for the Steam sale. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom