• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

HL2 had been on my wall of shame for years, finally played it last summer. It still looks terrific in my opinion, and the game really hasn't aged a day. It is indeed never too late to play!

Also, it was my birthday on Sunday, and meant to post that I would've bought Civ V for someone since I was feeling generous, but never got around to it since I was busy. I'm still feeling generous, so if the Midweek deal is under 10 bucks, someone here is getting a free game!

svegis

HL2 had been on my wall of shame for years, finally played it last summer. It still looks terrific in my opinion, and the game really hasn't aged a day. It is indeed never too late to play!

Hey Shane you realize she was talking about HL1, right? Hehe.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's also worth noting that Valve updated Half-Life 2 a few years back to include the Orange Box enhancements. So that may contribute to why it doesn't feel as old as it actually is.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I got invited to a group by someone I had never of before. In my confusion, I accidentally accepted the group invite (I wanted to reject it). I checked the group out and it appeared to be some Russian type spam group.

Is this something malicious? Should I change all of my important details on steam?

kami_sama

I got invited to a group by someone I had never of before. In my confusion, I accidentally accepted the group invite (I wanted to reject it). I checked the group out and it appeared to be some Russian type spam group.

Is this something malicious? Should I change all of my important details on steam?
I don't think you could be hacked trough a Steam Group. But If you don't like the group, why don't you exit it?

jediyoshi

No. A bot/duder likely just found your profile name through your friends or wherever you've put it online and indiscriminately added you. The act of joining a group is harmless.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
I don't think you could be hacked trough a Steam Group. But If you don't like the group, why don't you exit it?

Yes I left the group promptly afterwards.
No. A bot/duder likely just found your profile name through your friends or wherever you've put it online and indiscriminately added you. The act of joining a group is harmless.

Thanks. Was beginning to get worried there for a second.

I had something similar happen to me. Whoever did it was fucking persistent since I kept getting invites to numerous groups by alternate Russian spam accounts. Even after I kept blocking each user who sent them.

Groups send out mass invites all the time. Make sure you've got steam guard on if you're worried and you'll be fine.

MRORANGE

spotlight_image_english.png

an ok kinda game, most likely you will only play it once.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played Limbo twice, once on Xbox and once on PC. I enjoyed it quite thoroughly each time. The art and animation hits all the right spots for me.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I some how doubt that EA will be giving out free upgrades for us original Crysis 2 owners either. Ah well, I think the only difference is multiplayer maps anyhoo.

Don't worry, the "new" multiplayer maps appear to be cropped versions of singleplayer maps going off the trailers they release for them.

HoosTrax

It's forcing good habits on Steam users. Stop buying EA games day 1 and wait for the best version.
Fixed. And I thought we were supposed to be doing this to begin with (personally still waiting on Civ V: Real GOTY before I bite).

edit: sorry about the double post, didn't realize I was the last poster

plc268

spotlight_image_english.png

an ok kinda game, most likely you will only play it once.

Every time I see Limbo on sale, I'm tempted to buy it. Then I remember my experience with the demo and realize that I won't play it.

Joe Molotov's "recommendation" sums it up for me:

A short, mediocre game that should still appeal to fans of the the hipster, indie, crate-pushing sim genre. Also OMG ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O

MRORANGE

^that's probably newsworthy (Crysis 2 back on Steam)

But what really annoys me is that Crytek has enough time to push new games out but refuses to fix Crysis's 5 machine activation limit (use once only)

They even repsonded in a thread about the DRM in the first game and this is what they had to say:

Hi guys,

Although I don't have much to say on the topic, I thought i'd just post to acknowledge we (Crytek) have seen this thread.

There is no plan to remove SecuROM from Crysis at this time as we're entirely focused on Crysis 2. As for SecuROM and Crysis 2... we haven't said anything about our DRM plans, which includes having said nothing about using SecuROM.

Tom

Just terrible.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Don't worry, the "new" multiplayer maps appear to be cropped versions of singleplayer maps going off the trailers they release for them.

Cropped versions? Just how tiny are they? I remember when Crytek described the city setting of Crysis 2 as "a different kind of jungle". What a load of shit that turned out to be.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Limbo has the best opening this side of bioshock. The game stays interesting all of the way through but it never reaches the same heights as
the spider
sequence.

What's special about the Maximum Edition? I bought C2 a while ago for $16 and don't need a reason to double-dip, even Steam. Multiplayer maps? Lol, I don't care about MP.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Limbo backlash is kind of weird to me.

Its a solid little game. Trial & error gameplay, sure, but still solid.

The whole game is built around the concept of trial and error which is why you get checkpoints about 5 seconds before every error you can make. And the coolest bits of the game comes from making those errors.

I'm not sure the way they implemented things should be grouped with typical trial and error bullshit.

nexen

The whole game is built around the concept of trial and error which is why you get checkpoints about 5 seconds before every error you can make. And the coolest bits of the game comes from making those errors.

Yeah.
See also: old Sierra adventures, Out of this World (Another World)
Not for everyone I guess but didn't bother me in the slightest.

I recommend Limbo.

HoosTrax

Limbo has the best opening this side of bioshock. The game stays interesting all of the way through but it never reaches the same heights as
the spider
sequence.
The
spider
sequence from LIMBO makes a cameo appearance in Botanicula amusingly, but yeah, agree that it's a bit anti-climactic after that.

I'm not sure the way they implemented things should be grouped with typical trial and error bullshit.

This is just plain a lie; it is demonstrably false. Limbo's puzzles are largely physics based. Finding the solutions isn't just about doing random things until something works. It works logically within the rules established b the world. This isn't some old nonsensical point and click game.

Are there times when you die from the unexpected? Yes, but that doesn't mean the solutions are all just about being monkey bashing on different buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom