• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So what's everyone's opinion on today's other midweek madness, Dungeons? Is it worth getting? Is the sequel much better, and such makes the first game pointless?

don't forget to put font from the skin to your windows font folder (in control panel)

another skin that I really liked before finding PixelVision is Enhanced Steam by TDD

Yeah I did.

Speaking of Enhanced Steam, when I tried that, the friends list don't show up the names and have a rather garbled text.

Rufus

I bought it a long time ago on Direct2Drive, the game didn't run, it's broken, you can't run it on newer PCs, it's a shame because it's a good game! :(
I played it maybe a year ago, Win 7 64bit, and it ran. It didn't run fine, because it would crash a lot, but it did run. I believe it has shitty compatibility issues with certain graphics cards (though it ran on my AMD card), being a shitty Xbox port and everything, but it does run. At least there's a chance that it will. Poorly. But playable! Thing is... the game is not that great to play and has some frustrating spots, so you might as well watch a let's play, or youtube the cutscenes or something. Those can be quite amusing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cool, I'll have to try that. Is the best way to do this to create an autoexec.cfg file and add the commands there?

EDIT: Hmm, can't quite get it to stop tearing using that command. With fps_max 60, the tearing is restricted to a thin "band" which slowly creeps up the screen, doesn't seem like it's quite syncing up to my screen's refresh rate. I've also tried 59 and 61, but they all make the tearing worse than when just not limiting the framerate at all.

I'd forgotten that the fps_max setting has a variance of about 1fps.

PixelVision is the best looking skin IMO

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1914848

TnMaS.jpg

Are there any good skins where the text is more visible on an HDTV at a distance?

It would be a nice hold over until Steam gets their rears in gear.

Also, I can just put the skin on one PC, right? I have a desktop and a HDTV PC. I just want more visible text on the later.

ShaneB

Are there any good skins where the text is more visible on an HDTV at a distance?

It would be a nice hold over until Steam gets their rears in gear.

Also, I can just put the skin on one PC, right? I have a desktop and a HDTV PC. I just want more visible text on the later.

I think there's a fancy media centre option floating around that looks sleek as hell for a temp "big screen mode"

ShaneB

Have a link by any chance? I tried googling all combinations and couldn't find anything. Or do you just mean using Windows Media Center?

I don't think that's exactly it. I remember it having a more more Steam focused UI.

Don't think so. Think this turned out to be one of those occasional fake outs.

Wok

I experienced a strange attempt of this Steam user to engage in a conversation with me. The only link between us was we both were members of the Steam SpyParty group. He joined Steam today and has only got games from a HIB. He has not played a single game, yet he already belongs to a dozen TF2 groups. His only friend is another Steam user who seems to be keen on trading TF2 items. I found it fishy: it looks like some TF2 scammer using HIB to make several accounts. He must have acknowledge I was suspicious since he left the SpyParty group a few minutes after I rejected the invite, as I left the Steam group and made my profile private.

Silex

Got an extra The Void key off the Indie Royale bundle, I'll give the key to someone that's really interested and promises to play it :)

edit: life's boring when GAF implodes...

If no one took it yet, I'll be glad to. :) Promise I'll play it
eventually

Got an extra The Void key off the Indie Royale bundle, I'll give the key to someone that's really interested and promises to play it :)

I'd really like to try it out please :)

Edit: nooo, ninja'd!

Edit 2: Thanks for offering the Desura-key, but I'm not using it so I'm good :)

Thanks for posting about Pixelvision, I realize now I had been using the same skin for too long.

Also, I'll have to admit seeing a Shogun 2 DLC titled "the Obama faction" made me chuckle.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't think so. Think this turned out to be one of those occasional fake outs.
I see the Space Quest Collection on sale for $5 USD, what do you mean?

And wow Activision published it.

Is the Space Quest pack all six games? Was planning on getting them on GOG, but for $5 and steam library convenience I'm gonna snap them up.

Is Space Quest Collection functional on Windows 7? King's Quest wasn't.

I'd like to know the answer to these questions as well, and if I know the answer before the deal ends that'd be amazing. <3

*edit* According to the Steam store page, it looks like the Space Quest pack does include six games, to partially answer.

Blizzard

Banned
One of my Steam friends says the game(s) from the Space Quest collection work on Windows 7, but they had to do some hacky stuff like possibly patching with a non-Steam update.

epmode

Is Space Quest Collection functional on Windows 7? King's Quest wasn't.
Why would either collection be broken in Windows 7? They all work in DOSBox.

And even if you have trouble with them straight from Steam, most of the games are now compatible with ScummVM which works with 782986234869283962 platforms.

edit: Just tested. All Space Quest games in the collection launch in Windows 7 64. ..but there are graphics glitches here and there, probably due to an old/lousy DOSBox config. I'd recommend playing them in an updated version of DOSBox (takes some doing) or in ScummVM (very easy).

Thanks for posting about Pixelvision, I realize now I had been using the same skin for too long.

Also, I'll have to admit seeing a Shogun 2 DLC titled "the Obama faction" made me chuckle.

Obama is a real town name (actually, I think there are two or three). I live just east of Obama in Fukui prefecture (Wakasa in the past), and they are terribly proud of sharing a name with the president. They sell shirts and cookies with a cartoon version of his face there.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any feedback on Dungeons?

My approval from the Steam Mini Reviews thread:

Dungeons
aAEvh.jpg

Time played: 2 hours

I need to admit that I never really played Dungeon Keeper. I can't quite understand why Dungeons has such a bad reputation on the Internet, but I assume it's due to the fact that most people expected a Dungeon Keeper sequel, which is also what I read in some reviews. But in its current and updated form, Dungeons is a pretty damn fun game on its own merits and one of the best surprises I have encountered in my mini review-athon for this thread.

The basic premise is that you, as the dungeon lord, need to lure Heroes into your dungeon, satisfy their needs and then "harvest" their soul energy when they have been satisfied. For that you have several options to enhance your dungeon, like putting in gold chests, prestige objects that heroes can marvel at and your minions that will fight the enemies. The several systems for that are quite engaging and all the maps I played in the story so far felt fundamentally different due to varying requirements you need to fulfill to advance on a story map.

I sort of got the impression before playing this game that its more like a simulated affair, where you just build your dungeon, and then let the dungeon work on the heroes. However, the game requires you to be heavily involved with the incoming heroes. Mainly for "harvesting" heroes after you satisfied their needs and defending your base.

I also really like the campaign overarching character progression by giving you several goals each level, and if you manage to beat enough goals you get the skill points, which you can then use for better stats and powers.

Conclusion: Very fun and highly recommended, what exactly was everyones problem with this game?

5/5

After playing ~15 hours: If you dont expect a Dungeon Keeper sequel and are willing to play it on its own merits, the 65% metacritics score should baffle you. This game deserves more attention. One aspect for the failed initial reviews were launch day issues with bugs, camera zooms and the likes. However, since the release of Dungeons 2 (The Dark Lord), even the first Dungeons got gameplay tweaks and upgrades that had been introduced in the sequel.

Both should play about identically, with just more missions to play. I highly recommend buying at least the first Dungeons, even without DLC (since the base game will last you for quite a bit anyway).

Grab it!

trinest

edit: The Void key gone

While we are in the giving mood I too have one to give. (The Void)

If someone takes it. Please mention that you have. (available inside email bbcode- so quote this post, blah blah blah- you know the drill).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom